Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. jduong916

jduong916 Active Member

Would Vibrant work on the algae below? It's like a brown fuzzy hairy filamentous algae. I've never come across an algae like this before. First time i have ever had a serious algae problem in a tank.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

2. jduong916

jduong916 Active Member

a

3. Shigshwa

Shigshwa Active Member

I'm interested in trying this to take out my GHA forest, but is it okay to dose nitrates to keep my corals happy, or is this going to interfere with Vibrant's effectiveness? I don't want my nitrates so low as to starve my corals and clams.

bo0sted2g likes this.
  4. bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Yes, you can dose nitrates if you need too. Just make sure you test to make sure it's needed. Before dosing Vibrant my refugium was sucking up all my nitrate so I had to dose every few days. I tossed the chaeto once I started Vibrant because I needed an aggressive dose that would probably kill it off anyway. Now my nitrate has stayed solid at 5ppm right where I like it.

Brew12 likes this.
  5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It looks like a form of red turf algae to me. Vibrant should work on it, but turf algaes tend to be a little tougher to get rid of. I would dose 1x per week for 4 weeks and then look at going up to 2x per week after that if you aren't seeing results.

6. jduong916

jduong916 Active Member

Should I expect some die off of macro algae in my refugium? I have mostly chaeto and a lot less feather calurpa.

7. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, unless this turns out to be a very easy algae to treat it. My experience, and what I have seen from others, is that it will take out most hair algae first, then take out chaeto, then calurpa, then it starts on the bubble algae, turf algae, and finally bryopsis.
    You will want to pull your macro out of the fuge and either toss it or keep it separate for the duration of the treatment.

8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

I'm having the opposite effect. My bubble algae is now effectively gone. There's a bubble here or there, but they're fading. My hair algae on the other hand has gone nuts! I'm getting pretty frustrated with this stuff to be honest. I'm weekly going in and blasting my rocks followed by scrubbing them with a toothbrush.

9. Mako61

Mako61 Member

I just started using Vibrant for mild but annoying bubble algae. I took my macro algae reactor offline for this. I didnt want to risk any issues, as I expect this to take a few months.

UWC likes this.
  10. Brew12

You have an amazing talent at collecting hard to remove pest algae/bacteria. If anyone ever wants to study the one-off biologics in an aquarium I am going to send them your way!

UWC, 4FordFamily and TheEngineer like this.
  11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Right!? It must be because I live in mushroom country.

Brew12 likes this.
  12. TheEngineer

4ABA5615-EA36-406C-B89E-0916C5EC309A.jpeg

13. jduong916

jduong916 Active Member

I’d like to leave the macro during the treatment to see if its an easy algae to remove. Im thinking i could do the normal dose weekly for a month then if i have to increase to twice a week id remove my macro. Do you think the normal dosage would hurt the macro in the sump.

14. UWC

UWC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I’m never one to recommend heavy nutrient reduction, but in your case I think I will. It sounds to me like your nutrients are not being removed, or not being removed quick enough and are being swallowed up by different algae’s. This is the classic case of one algae being the main nutrient consumer within a closed system. When this main consumer is rid, another will step in and take its place and flourish. I would recommend ( which usually I never do ) heavy gfo po4 remover changed every 3 days for a few weeks and assess from there :)

TheEngineer likes this.
  15. UWC

Depends. Just keep an eye on your macro and any signs of it breaking down or dieing, remove it :)

Brew12 likes this.
  16. TheEngineer

Would this work? I’ve had these in the basement from someone’s junk box after their tear down. They’re rated for 200g according to the box. I have a 50g. Should I put the bag in my carbon reactor?

C99E874A-38DF-4363-8BD8-15913F3CFE85.jpeg

17. Charley

Charley Member

FWIW....last 2 or 3 doses, I absentmindedly used 10x the mount of Vibrant than recommended 2x per week, dealing with a dinoflagellate prob. Yes, instead of 1ml for every 10gal I used 10ml for every 10 gal on a 120gal system. Tank never looked better! Zero ill effects! Also use in conjunction with, dosed on separate days with Dr. Tim's Waste away. I know for sure Dr. Tim's did not work for the dino's because used before Vibrant, made tank looked very clean with a deep sand bed. did do a 3 day blackout before right before Dr. Tim's which helped a ton but they did come back somewhat. Did a 4 day blackout before using Vibrant and dino's almost gone and Vibrant seems to be holding them back from a rebound. I see perhaps a touch of it and hoping Vibrant will knock it out for good. I totally intend to keep using Vibrant since only 2 weeks in. Tanks is looking so good, have not used the skimmer in 3 weeks and do not feel compelled to turn it back on.....

18. UWC

I would think so. Tropic Marin makes very good products :)

TheEngineer likes this.
  19. UWC

That’s a HUGE dose but happy to hear it seems to be helping. Keep us updated :)

20. TheEngineer

Phosphate was 0.046 on Saturday. I’ll test again this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted