Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. corey01

corey01 Active Member

so this is not the best picture of what I have all over 2 tanks. but its the best I have for the moment. it is a short fuzzy red "turf" algae. no one I have asked has ever seen anything like it and I have been battling it for years now. does anyone know if vibrant would have any sort of effect on this? I know I tried flucanazole a year or so ago and it worked great on several other types but didn't do much to this stuff. I am up in the air if I want to try this or give the fluc another go.

any opinions?

IMG_20180227_101729.jpg

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I'd be surprised if it didn't take it out, but it may not go quickly. You could also try Vibrant with the fluco. They seem to complement each other nicely when used against bryopsis. Might help with this stuff, too.

UWC likes this.
  3. Byronyk

Byronyk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

How much would you dose for a 250g (system volume) tank? Based on the official instructions, 1ml per 10g (or 25ml for my system). However, I saw someone earlier in the thread was told to dose his 160g tank as if it was a 50-60g tank. Little confused on that.

4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I would stick with the 1ml/10g directions. I'm not sure why someone would have been told to under dose. :confused:

UWC and Byronyk like this.
  5. Slarti

Slarti Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Correct, they do suggest a slower start but that means once a week rather than twice. Cutting down would be counter productive.

Brew12 likes this.
  6. bean2986

bean2986 Active Member CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm on dose 7 of 1ml/10 Gallons twice a week. Tank looks much better. My GHA and diatoms are gone, and my Bryopsis is almost gone as well. Suddenly I'm getting patches of thick Cyano and now looks like a Dino outbreak. What is the recommendation as far as dosing at this point?

7. Brew12

I'm guessing your PO4 and NO3 are both reading 0ppm?

If that is the case, you have a few options. Since you are close to the end of the Bryopsis I would push through and treat until it is gone.
    If you are running GFO or anything else that will remove phosphates, stop using it for awhile.
    Make sure you are running GAC.
    You can dose nitrates and phosphates to restore them in your tank. This should help keep them under control. Otherwise, if the outbreaks aren't too severe, they should clear up on their own when you go to dosing Vibrant every other week (if you chose to do the maintenance dose).

bean2986 likes this.
  8. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

With my phosphate issue, should I back off dosing from twice a week?

9. Brew12

have you started running GFO yet?

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Not yet. It’s on the way. Running ElimiPhos but it isn’t helping.

11. Brew12

Yeah, that isn't going to help. All it does is convert PO4 into an easier to export form. In your situation it is breaking down from easier to export forms to PO4 faster than you can remove it. It just isn't going to be an effective product in your situation.

Not sure if I would reduce dosing or not... still thinking that one through.

12. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I would not. You are going to have to be very aggressive to rid that much algae. Manual removal if possible, Heavy GFO, changed 2x weekly, 2x per week dosing Vibrant and heavy nutrient removal. Stay the course and a few weeks from now your tank should be looking much better. Once your algae is basically gone, so it cannot consume Po4, assess your Vibrant dosing and GFO usage then :)

Brew12 and TheEngineer like this.
  13. TheEngineer

Thanks both. I have the BRS high capacity GFO on the way. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Do I need to change that kind out twice a week? I’ve been doing 20% water changes ever other week and 10% water changes on the opposite weeks (just based on my work schedule and timing to make the water). I’ll try doing 20% weekly.

Brew12 likes this.
  14. BertieBones

BertieBones Member

Can't wait to start dosing, if my order from H2O ever arrives

15. Brew12

So I've been using Vibrant at a maintenance dose for awhile and I started growing what I thought was a turf algae. I was actually ok with this and decided to try and grow it out since I wanted to add an Urchin. Finally bought the urchin who decided he only like film and coralline algae and never leaves the back wall. :rolleyes:
    So, I decided I needed to get rid of this crud since it is starting to get bad. Took a much closer look at this stuff that nothing was eating, and sure enough. Bryopsis. A shorter type that grows in small tight green balls, but definitely Bryopsis. :oops: Maybe I should have checked it out earlier... that explains why nothing was eating it.

So, time to eradicate. Started dosing Vibrant 2x per week as of last weekend and my Fluco came in on Thursday. Here it is, less than 72 hours after dosing the Fluco, and it is already dying off quickly. The ends are turning white and my tangs and Foxface are now starting to eat it. Vibrant and Fluco make a very potent combination for treating Bryopsis. Much faster than either on their own.

drawman, UWC and Second Shot like this.
  16. bean2986

bean2986 Active Member CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Yeah Nitrates and Phos are bottomed out. The Bryopsis is grey and shriveled but hasn't "melted away" like the rest. I pulled my Macro last week to save it. I don't have carbon on hand, so it'll be a few days for BRS to get it here.

As far as getting nutrients up, I'll just feed more. Thanks for the tips!

Brew12 likes this.
  17. tonycip

tonycip New Member

Well I was skeptical . Sounded to good to be true but I gave it a try and my brown fuzzy algae is finely gone. Amazing.
    Great stuff. Thanks.

18. UWC

That is great to hear :)

Brew12 likes this.
  19. corey01

corey01 Active Member

Well I suppose Ill place an order and give it a try. I am pretty desperate for the red to go away.
    might try buffing with some fluc too. although part of me is nervous. because if this dosent work there may be little option left for anything.
    stuff has followed me for years now between entirely new and qt tanks, tank tear downs, cleaning and brand new rocks. and just about every fish/invert that is supposed to eat it I could fit into my tanks.

20. UWC

I know you posted a pic a while ago but wondering if you have any better pics of the algae?

Draft saved Draft deleted