Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

Is it hard on corals because of the drop in Nitrate? Or just hard on them in general? I'm just curious because I would love to take out my evil strain of hair/turf algae!

UWC likes this.

2. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Just extreme dosing, like daily for example as Dino’s are a whole different ballgame.

For hair/turf, I would never recommend extreme dosing. Low and slow wins the race for “normal” algae’s :)

drawman likes this.
  3. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

This does not add up... if you had 10ppb this would convert to 0,01ppm, not 0,1. Also, why are you measuring in ppb? Are you using the Hanna Phosphorus ULR checker? If so please bear in mind that in order to convert to PO4 you should first multiply by 3,066 and than divide by 1.000.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

Haha well this for whatever reason doesn't seem to be normal :oops:

UWC likes this.
  5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

If you are fighting the same thing I am, it is far from normal. I'm considering upping my dose to every other day. Around 2 months of dosing every 3 days has left me where none of it grows more than 1/2 inch long but I can't get it to completely go away. It dies back after a dose, but starts growing back before the next dose. I have so much particulate from this stuff now it's clogging my 3x 5" filter socks in 2 days.

drawman and UWC like this.
  6. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

I'm fairly certain it's the same Brew. Literally turf algae from hell! I tried to combat it with a chaeto reactor and it snuffed out the chaeto in no time lol. Hopefully we both can beat it! I will be transferring over to a new tank soon and I know there is little chance I can keep it out.

7. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Well, I'll keep you in the loop if I can. I don't think this is a turf algae since it does grow to around 1" long when I would let it. But it is evil. At 3 days a week I feel like I'm winning but not sure 3 days a week will get me that last push toward eradication.

drawman likes this.
  8. Brew12

I really need to document my progress on here better. I'll try to make a more detailed post on the fight happen this weekend. But, for those curious on how Vibrant will impact coral growth, I'll post these two pictures.

2 1/2 months of growth all while dosing every 3 days.

[​IMG]

rushbattle, drawman and UWC like this.
  9. CherBear811

CherBear811 Active Member

Thank you! I have a mixed tank, including sps... Are there any documented risks with increasing dosing in the manner you mentioned as far as coral health goes? As I understand it, V is essentially bacteria, Vit C, ammino acids and water. Is that correct (not looking for the proprietary formula or anything, lol)?

10. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

Yeah maybe turf isn't the right description but I don't like calling it GHA because it seems a lot worse. Mine will grow to 1" or longer as well then break off to reinfect.

Glad to hear your SPS aren't affected. Are you routinely dosing NO3/PO4 or has it been stable for you?

11. Brew12

I don't like calling it GHA either. It was because of regular GHA that I started using Vibrant. That was a cake walk compared to this stuff. My biggest problem was Vibrant killed it so quickly that I fell behind on good husbandry and had some issues.
    I am not dosing NO3/PO4 but I have both available. I've actually increased my GFO usage but if anything, my nutrients are still high. I pulled my chaeto before I increased my dosing so I lost my big nutrient sink.

drawman likes this.
  12. wesman42

wesman42 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

How do you handle the nutrient export side of things while dosing 2x per week? I have some bubble algae that's probably halved since I've started using it in a month.

I'm running a filter sock 24/7 during this and my skimmer is full every 2-3 days. I removed my Chaeto for the time being, but I'm ending up with some algae problems...

13. UWC

What are your current no3 and po4 readings?

14. wesman42

My no3 is 20 and my po4 is 0.05 with GFO running. I started GFO a day after vibrant, otherwise it spikes to 0.15-0.22

UWC and Brew12 like this.
  15. Brew12

I control it with carbon dosing and/or GFO as needed. That and I skim wet.

neoGeorge, drawman and UWC like this.
  16. UWC

Numbers seem fine. What algae’s are popping up?

17. wesman42

Bubble --> Hair (Although this one is obviously starting to die) --> weird turf stuff.

This is a lot longer process than I had anticipated because if Phosphates get above 0.1 then things get reaaaaally hairy. It's almost like I need to check it every 2-3 days.

18. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

@UWC I am on my 3rd weekly dose and the water gets very cloudy with bacterial bloom after dosing. Is this normal?

19. UWC

I wouldn’t say normal... but it does get brought up from time to time. I would recommend upping your skimmer to skim a bit more wet :)

VJV likes this.
  20. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Thanks! It is skimming wet (and nasty smelling!). Should i cut back on the dose?

I am dosing NO3 and have it at 1ppm currently. If i stop dosing it plummets to zero very quickly.

My KH consumption seems to have dropped significantly. I say seems because i have been tinkering with the time it takes to mix Kalk in the ATO so cant be sure whether the drop on two part is because my kalk solution is more potent or because my corals are irritated and stoped growing.

UWC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted