Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

No need to cut back because of the cloudiness, unless it is causing issues somehow. Do you run gac? Generally when cloudiness happens in the beginning, it is because the bacteria are clearing out sludge and gunk from places generally not cleaned ( I.e. under rocks, spots in the sand we can’t reach, etc. )

Also, can’t remember.. what algae’s are you trying to rid?

VJV likes this.

2. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Thanks, that makes total sense. The reason I now have GHA popping up on my sandbed is because my coral colonies grew so big that they form a canopy that has prevented me from syphoning the sandbed every week as I used to do up to about 6 months ago.

So my sandbed is currently a nutrient sink.

Brew12 and UWC like this.
  3. McFly

McFly Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Anyone else have their feather dusters die off after starting Vibrant dosing? My snails are fine, the dusters are all gone though.

It has been a little over (2) weeks of dosing. Not much progress on the algae on this post. I think its not GHA and rather the same bryopsis Brew12 and some others have posted about.

No drop in nutrients yet. NO3 is about the same at 25ppm PO4 is steady at 0.05ppm.

Brew12 likes this.
  4. rushbattle

rushbattle Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

It’s definitely not the direct cause, I have some gulf live rock that has a bunch of feather dusters and I am dosing vibrant daily. No harm. Probably an algae dying off and throwing some toxic substance out.

Brew12 likes this.
  5. rushbattle

rushbattle Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I realized I could probably make a suggestion, are you running GAC? Might be a good idea when running Vibrant hard to kill lots of algae all at once. I use a powerfilter ala DSR (@glennf ) which seems to pull some larger organic molecules out also.
    http://dsrreefing.com/powerfilter/

Brew12 likes this.
  6. McFly

McFly Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation with your gulf rock. I may look into buying a little for reseeding the tank after the algae is gone. Who was your supplier?

I doubt the Vibrant killed the dusters directly, perhaps they ran out of food since the glass stays so clean now. I always had a good population of dusters under my rocks, really anywhere that did not get direct light. My sump had a pretty good population going for 6 months, now when I check with a flashlight I never see the 'feathers' out. I am passively running GAC, I keep a 100 gram bag in a high turnover area of my sump and change it out weekly. I put the two 225 micron mesh Red Sea filter socks back in the sump when I started dosing and cranked up my skimmer water level up for wetter skimmate.

Brew12 likes this.
  7. wesman42

wesman42 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Is it normal to take in excess of 2-3 months to eradicate bubble algae?

UWC likes this.
  8. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award NJRC Member Build Thread Contributor

There are many different species of bubble algae. I had 2 varieties when i started vibrant. The one oval shaped one disappeared rather quickly. The other i still have a few balls, they are not plague numbers but still present.

wesman42 and UWC like this.
  9. UWC

Yes, it can as vibrant works systematically.

Everybody always wants thing gone quickly, but slow is better in my eyes and for your system. How frequently are you dosing?

wesman42 likes this.
  10. TB Nano

TB Nano Member

I just bought a bottle of Vibrant because I found a few small bubble algae pods. Someone on YouTube documented the progress amd showed it taking out a whole tank of it so I figured I would give it a try. Then I found this thread and wow, I did not realize what it could do I read through 60 some pages and it sounds like this stuff works so I am looking forward to using it. My tank is not bad at all, I removed the few I have seen and do weekly water changes but I want stop any future explosions so I plan on doing more of the maintenance route (slow and easy).

However, I am curious if anyone knows what this brown stuff is? I assume it is algae, it has been around for a couple months and has spread over the last few months but not at an alarming rate. It looks almost like encrusting, I had some on my power head and it was hard to scrape off even with my fingernail.

@UWC glad to see another reef business in the Twin Cities area! If we can’t live next to the ocean we might as well put one in our houses...I need something to take my mind off of all the snow this month and my sore back from shoveling every other day

3BE2D0F8-F2BF-4A86-8882-77A84C52445A.jpeg

5D2DB519-DAAA-4AD1-9528-C6C8E357854B.jpeg

UWC and Brew12 like this.
  11. UWC

It’s hard to say exactly what that is, but my guess would be a species of lobophora :)

TB Nano likes this.
  12. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Update from my side after 4 weeks

- GHA gone in all surfaces except some parches in sandbed. As I said previously because of my dense SPS canopy its been some 6-8 months since I stopped being able to syphon my sandbed. So likely it has a lot of nutrients stored which the GHA is using. Even so I believe I am seeing progress.

- Acans not happy since I started dosing weekly. Oddly enough green montis are loosing their vibrant green. SPS in lower light seem to be strugling now where before they were just fine

- Alk demand slowed significantly leading it to spoke from 7,7 to 9,6dKh. A sign that SPs are not too happy...?

- I also started dosing ATI Nitrogen compounds at the same time I did Vibrant given my NO3 is always 0. It has now increased to 1ppm.

Any thoughts?

drawman likes this.
  13. UWC

Are the corals lightening or darkening? What is your current po4 and what is it normally?

My suggestion would be to drop back to 1x every two weeks for now and let things settle down, especially with such a big alk spike.

VJV likes this.
  14. TB Nano

TB Nano Member

And the Vibrant will eventually kill this off, correct?

15. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Have not measured PO4 but last time was 0,016ppm. Green Monti Cap is browning, mainly on the sides that get low light. Some shadowed areas of the Seriatopora Caliendrum have died of and are white. This I would say more likely due to the Alk spike.

Glass now needs about 6-7!days to get to the same point it would previously take 2/3 !

rushbattle, drawman and Brew12 like this.
  16. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

How often are you feeding? You may want to try increasing this...

VJV and rushbattle like this.
  17. IslandLifeReef

IslandLifeReef Valuable Member Hospitality Award

I was wondering if Vibrant killed phytoplankton. I just started dosing Vibrant to get rid of Dino's. The Dino's appeared after I accidentally let my NO3 get to 0 ppm. I tried to raise NO3 slowly, but I was too slow. Now, 4 weeks after the Dino bloom, I am giving Vibrant a try. I tried adding pods to the tank, and because of that, I am dosing phytoplankton to help the pod population get established. Will dosing Vibrant effect the phytoplankton or the pod population?

18. b4tn

b4tn Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I stopped dosing vibrant last week. It took 4 months but all my bubble algae is gone!!! :) the only issue is from day one of starting vibrant I ended up with a cyano outbreak. I tried several things to get rid of it, feeding more, dosing nitrate, running GFO, weekly water changes, etc and never did beat it. So after finishing with vibrant I treated with chemi clean which I have used many times in the past and as expected cyano was wiped out. So now after 4 months of trying to get my nitrates up it suddenly spiked to 20ppm and several SPS have turned brown and alk uptake has slowed. I’m going to do some more water changes to see if I can get nitrates down but was thinking about maybe maintenance dosing vibrant every 2 weeks.

What affect does low dosing vibrant have on nutrients? If I continue to dose will I always have troubles getting nutrients up? Will my algae scrubber still work for export? What’s the pros and cons?

slewrock1 likes this.
  19. wesman42

wesman42 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm dosing twice a week, and I've doubled my water change volume during this time as well. Cyano is present in a pretty like green so I'm not worried about it. I'll take care of that when the bubble algae is gone and I can run a fuge again.

There are definitely signs of improvement.....but, my concern is that my tank will be dependent on vibrant after using it to eradicate something.

Can it be started and stopped or is there a process I should be performing to ease the system in and out of treatment?

20. davejep

davejep Active Member

Any issues of doing a flatworm exit treatment while dosing vibrant? Have some zoa eating nudi’s I want to wipe out.
    Have removed all the adults I can find but see some tiny babies I’d like to kill off.
    Have found flatworm exit to take out the tiny ones once in the past with a different tank.

Draft saved Draft deleted