Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 North Alabama Reef Club Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

You can stop at any point without issue. Personally, I like dosing every other week as a maintenance dose. It helps the glass stay cleaner longer and seems to be gentler if I ever need to ramp up dosing because of a new issue.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 North Alabama Reef Club Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Vibrant every other week won't significantly affect nutrients imo. I've never used an ATS but my fuge does just fine dosing every other week.

3. chowwil

chowwil Active Member

I saw this a few weeks ago and gave this a try. I'm on the second treatment and is seeing a lot of improvement. The green hair algae is slowly going away. Thanks for this article, I wouldn't have tried it.

Brew12 likes this.
  4. davejep

davejep Active Member

@UWC any idea?

5. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Should not be a issue :)

davejep and Brew12 like this.
  6. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Sy PO4 seems to have increased substantially and is now at 0,10ppm. NO3 continues at 1ppm.

Some SPS are browning out. One stag as well as the green montis. Wonder if it is related to the ATI Nutrition N (Nitrogen compound) that i am dosing to get some form of measurable NO3...

Reduced dosing of N to half.

Had one frag rack in the tank that was covered in algae but as mentioned last week it is completely clean. Algae in the sandbed is not improving.

Am considering dosing ATM Agent Green (Lanthanum Chloride) to get PO4 back down to 0,02 level.

Any harm in mixing this with Vibrant?

7. UWC

UWC Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Totally fine to mix the two. Go slow as lanthium is very effective :)

VJV likes this.
  8. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Looks like my turn :D Of course trying to find a local source of Vibrant is turning out to be a mission impossible so probably mail order which the big A doesn't ship overnight let alone two day... I have been reading through the thread considering its use to combat a problem that crept up on me while traveling. The tank is a year old. Actually a year old since it was cycled (Feb 2019). I let it run in March and moved over a 40 breeder into it in April 2019. So almost a year. Never had the algae bloom(s) be it hair or bad cyno stuff. Did have a few diatom dusts. This though appears to be some dinoflagellates but of which strain or type I know not nor do I carry any sort of microscope...

I know I can do black out which will be a band aid. I know water chemistry. I also thought about going back to NoPox or similar carbon be it vodka or vinegar. I'm a bit lazy and in a travel window it would appear but after reading about this I figured it may be worth a shot. Here is some info from my last ATI results which is also when I started to see the growth but thought first sign was diatoms again. I'm going to check my regents and test tomorrow morning so probably update this:

Salinity (NaCl) (35.24 PSU)
    Nitrate (28.05 mg/l)
    Phosphate (0.27 mg/l)
    pH 8.3

I have a pretty good cleanup crew but what sort of put the flare in the air is when I started to notice that the snails that I've had for over a year started to die. I think some dinoflagellates are harmful. Sounds like Vibrant is a option and works for many here. If I can find it local I'd probably give it a whirl. May go dark since this is killing my snails and while they are not the most attractive they are taking a hit.

20190308_171527.jpg

1 (2).jpg 4 (2).jpg 2.jpg

9. Brew12

Sorry you are having problems! I can't help with how to use Vibrant for Dinoflagellates. I think there is more too it than just dosing once or twice a week.

Reefahholic likes this.
  10. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Yeah - there is that, no doubt. Not even sure what the stuff is but it is a mess at the moment :) I'll sort it out I'm sure.

11. Reefahholic

Reefahholic Reef Junkie T.V. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

So this stuff legit works! May I ask what affect it has on bubble algae? I think Reef Flux is suppose to work on bubble algae?

12. rushbattle

rushbattle Jack of Some, Master of None R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Works really well on bubble algae, at least the multiple strains/species I’ve had. It takes a while though.

Reefahholic likes this.
  13. Reefahholic

Reefahholic Reef Junkie T.V. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

That’s good to hear!

14. TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher Well-Known Member

I had a bad outbreak of the bubbles. I would wake up and find one of my Tunze’s covered with them after I started dosing. It took about two months but they’ve almost disappeared. I wasn’t dosing at a higher rate, though. 20ml twice a week for my 750xxl. I also dosed no3 daily as it drove nitrates down in my tank.

15. rushbattle

rushbattle Jack of Some, Master of None R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I had a very similar experience! Thanks for providing more detail.

16. dochou

dochou Member

Tagging along.

17. Fishnugget

Fishnugget Active Member

I just wanted to post my results and experience using vibrant:

It works!

However, I did lose most of my sps (about 8) when I dosed the first time. I don't know if it may have caused a nutrient spike but most of my sps started to RTN and I did not bother testing.

However, I remained on the course dosing every week at 1ml/10 gallons, added some tangs and a fox face, and 8-9 weeks later, my bubble algae along with some hair algae's are gone. This product cleaned up my rock significantly and my corralline algae is starting to take off. I also started doing a water change every week and vacuumed my sand bed.

I'd say about 10% bubble algae remains in my tank but the benefits were overwhelming, here they are,

• Killed most of bubble algae
    • Left my rock hair algae free
    • My caulerpa in my fuge is still growing
    • Made my water really clear
    • Cleaned algae off my sand bed
    • Less algae everywhere
    • scrub glass of tank very seldom
    I mean its kind of like a miracle product for me. I want to use it as a maintenance dose. What are people dosing for maintenance?

I figure I may go for 1ml/10 gal every 2 weeks or keep it at 1ml/10gal every week. What are everyones thoughts?

18. flchamp89

flchamp89 Active Member

I would love to know about this product from a maintenance stand point as well @UWC

19. Alexreefer

Alexreefer Active Member

I am on my fourth week of dosing vibrant 10 ml every week and still no change with my diatoms. To no prevail are they going away. @UWC Do you know why this is. I ordered my vibrant off amazon and it didn't have a seal on the bottle. Do I have a bad bottle?

20. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Might just my experiences but i have noticed no or minimum effect with microscopic photosynthetic organisms. Be it dinos or cyano, i havent had a diatom bloom in a while, so never had them concurrently with vibrant dosing. diatoms are one of the fastest multiplying organisms we can experience under the correct situations. They are also very palatable to a variety of organisms. My 2 main ways of diatom control are either silicate control or predatory control or a combination of the 2. Start with silicates, then slowly start adding pods, filter feeders, snails etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted