Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I follow the recommended 1ml/10g every other week and I feel it works well. I use a fuge for nutrient export and I do notice that it becomes less effective at 1ml/10g every week. If you don't run a fuge or ATS every week may be a good option.

rushbattle and flchamp89 like this.

2. Fishnugget

Fishnugget Active Member

Thanks, I figured I would start to dose every other week in the next week or two. My algaes are completely gone and the tank looks clean. I am hoping my fuge can handle the load, even if it gets a little dirty I wouldnt mind.

Brew12 likes this.
  3. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I just placed an order for Vibrant - reef blend. I have the pictures that I previously posted so should be interesting to see what it does. Hopefully the product will get here by the weekend - depends on Fragtastic's turn around time. Even did a quick water test with DKH @ 9.8, Phosphate @ .27, Calcium @ 410, Magnesium @ 1440, and Nitrates in the 12 - 25 range. All similar to my last ATI results which made me feel somewhat consistent. Water change week also so plan on that before adding this product.

We'll see.

4. rushbattle

rushbattle Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

You have a good bit of nutrients, and your sandbed looks pretty well established. It is going to take weeks, maybe months, to see much happening with Vibrant. I would go slow even so, getting impatient is what seems to lead to negative consequences like whole species being wiped out in a day causing nutrient or even toxin issues. Hopefully @UWC @Brew12 provide input as well.

Brew12 likes this.
  5. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 North Alabama Reef Club Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Starting slow is always good. And getting the tank as clean as possible prior to starting helps, too.

neoGeorge likes this.
  6. saf1

@rushbattle and @Brew12 without a doubt. Slow is the plan. I know these sorts of things are part of the maturity of the tank but it sort of caught me off guard coming a year later. It may be a crisis but nothing is solved over night. It is ugly though :) It is cool to see some of the rocks that are not hit and what has grown over the year. So progress is there outside this stringy mess :D

Interesting - it is blocking crisis?

Edit 2: it is ugly - I see it now, had a f in front of it - lol.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Brew12 likes this.
  7. wesman42

wesman42 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I decreased my dose of Vibrant from 2x weekly to 1x per week. I had a CYANO EXPLOSION. I mean literal explosion, it was covering everything at least 2mm thick. I used chemiclean to get rid of it, then dinos appeared. Should I discontinue the use of vibrant while I raise nutrients?

This seems kind of like a double edged sword...use vibrant, no algae = no nutrients = dinos. Dinos = thrive off low nutrients = what the heck more algae. How do you break this cycle? I used it for bubble algae and it's not even nearly gone. It's maybe 1/3 eradicated from the tank.

Can't use a refugium to combat dinos while using vibrant, because the vibrant will kill chaeto. So, my primary way of fighting dinos....a fuge mixed with raising nutrients (has worked before)... I cannot use anymore because of Vibrant. So, if I stop vibrant, doesn't that mean the bubble algae plague will come roaring right back? I hope not because if that's the case I'm literally done with this hobby.

FDAWG and Dxv like this.
  8. IslandLifeReef

IslandLifeReef Valuable Member Hospitality Award

Vibrant will get rid of Dino's. I would keep dosing the Vibrant, but only once a week. I would also get your nutrients up either through dosing or increased feeding. I would also recommend not using other chemical cleaners while using Vibrant. Cyano is easy to get rid of and will out compete Dino's.

Tackle the hardest problems first, keep nutrients up, and be patient. That is what I would recommend.

9. saf1

So should have my bottle arrive today sometime - at least that is what the tracking number says. Not having it yet but just wondering what are the recommended dosing instructions? If you go back to page 264 my tank is pretty heavy of some form of algae outbreak that is dark brown and/or light green and stringy.

Guessing the initial dose is set to gallon of water - rock and sand? If so that would put me at around 175 gallons or so. 210 gallon tank, 160 lbs of rock, 200 lbs of sand, and about 16 gallons give or take in the sump.

10. IslandLifeReef

The dosing says 1ml for every ten gallons. I would start with 15-17 ml for your tank and dose no more than once a week for the first month or until your problem clear, whichever happens first. Also, keep an eye on nutrient levels. Don't let them go to 0 ppm and consider running carbon to remove any toxins released by the dying algae.

saf1 and rushbattle like this.
  11. wesman42

Are you sure about that? The manufacturer seems to get the idea that it lowers nutrients, in which Dinos thrive. My nutrients today were: NO3: 20 PO4: 0.08 they literally are already up. Is it possible that dinos feed off of the dying Cyano?

12. saf1

@IslandLifeReef thank you. FedEx just dropped it off. I'm going to do a water change tomorrow. I'll let it run for a couple hours then do a quick check on nitrates and phosphates just to see how it compares to Sunday and then set the baseline. I was not aware of carbon. I have about a cup to a cup and a half left so I can toss it in a bag and add it. Thank you for the tip - wouldn't have thought of that.

IslandLifeReef and rushbattle like this.
  13. rushbattle

rushbattle Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Yes, I’ve noticed a number of people having serious issues with toxins from dying algae, but frequently forget to remind folks to run carbon when starting Vibrant. It’s a really good idea.

neoGeorge, Brew12 and saf1 like this.
  14. IslandLifeReef

It’s not the low nutrients that dino’s thrive off of, it’s that they are easily outcompeted for nutrients by other algae’s. If there are no other algae’s, dino’s can explode. IMO, the combination of Vibrant and Chemclean is what caused the outbreak. I would pick one treatment to use for the problem you are addressing and stick with that until the problem is resolved. IMO, Vibrant dosing once a week will do the trick.

15. wesman42

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I'll be running carbon for quite a while anyway...even more so because of dinos. The bubble algae is much more emergent imo than dinos ever will be. It needs to be gone.

16. OpenOcean33

OpenOcean33 Active Member

So has anyone has total success of Dino erratication with vibrant reef cleaner?

17. saf1

No idea - this is a very long thread and I've not even made it through all of it. I'm not sure what algae I have at the moment but today was my first dose of the stuff so we will see. I don't expect miracles over night but hoping the twice a week dose shows something with two weeks. Time will tell.

wesman42 likes this.
  18. Brew12

This is fantastic advice. I try to remind people to do it, but sometime is skips my mind. To me, it feels like a common sense measure. But, so many other algae products require taking the GAC offline that people assume they need to with Vibrant.
    I know it's been done, including by the owner of R2R, but that was a battle and a half for him. He was about to tear down his 500g+ system before he used Vibrant. I've never used it for dino's or directly advised someone who used it for dino's. I tend to stay away from helping on these..

neoGeorge and VJV like this.
  19. saf1

Quick update - started my first dose yesterday after a water change. I wasn't sure what to expect but sort of felt like Jack Burton after they all drank out of that Six Demon Bag in Big Trouble in Little China ;)

Egg Shen - Can see things no one else can see. Do things no one else can do
    Jack Burton - Real things?
    Egg Shen - As real as Lo Pan
    Jack Burton - Hey, what more can a guy ask for
    Egg Shen - Oh, the six-demon bag
    Jack Burton - Terrific, a six-demon bag
    Egg Shen - Wind, fire, all that kind of thing

IslandLifeReef and Brew12 like this.
  20. skiwez

skiwez Member

I've been able to eradicate Dino's with a combination of vibrant and water changes. Dinos at one point covered all my live rock. So I tried raising nutrients. 4 months later still dinos and algae and pretty scary looking tank. Then started doing 20 percent water changes and siphoning out dinos in the process. That kicked them back but would always return. About another 4 month process. I then more recently started adding weekly doses of vibrant for approximately 2 months while maintaining my weekly 20% water changes. I have been dino free for at least two months and my sand has never been whiter. At some point I also introduced a uv sterilizer, but it was only 36 watts for 200 gallon tank.

I attribute my success to combination of Vibrant and water changes. I've essentially discontinued using vibrant. I am contemplating using a maintenance dose every 2 or so but at this point don't find it necessary

IslandLifeReef and Brew12 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted