Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by UWC, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Undertaker

Undertaker Active Member

I’ve learned all over the couple years I’ve been in reefing do not use chemicals. It will work it self out be finding to real issue. I’ve used vibrant and it made my tank worse. And it was early on in a new tank so everything that was going on was normal. Stay away from this stuff

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 North Alabama Reef Club Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I'm sorry Vibrant didn't work for you, but I rely on chemicals for reefing. I use Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate along with Calcium Hydroxide in my tank. Without them, my reef would die. Chemicals are very important for maintaining a reef tank.
    I would also point out that Vibrant isn't a chemical, it is a bacterial product.

Tuan’s Reef, FDAWG and chum like this.
  3. Undertaker

Undertaker Active Member

I use alk cal and mag but other chemicals I don’t . Vibrant sucks and would not
    Suggest it to anyone

4. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I with there was a call ******** or other button. While I understand not everything will work the same on other peoples tanks the whole "Vibrant sucks and would not suggest it to anyone" a silly statement and also find it a bit harsh. This is coming from someone with horrible bed side manors, trust me.

Please note that I cannot say what sort of situations this product will or will not work but in my case this product worked in or around 12 hours before I saw my first visible sign. True story. They claim some see a reaction in as few as 12 hours and believe it or not that is what I saw. My side panel was covered in wavy thin brown light green algae and it was clear when I woke up the next morning. Go figure. Could be my tanks situation, could be the amount of algae, could be that Bob Stone, er, Dwayne Johnson, sprinkled magic unicorns into my tank while I was asleep. No idea - but it worked.

So - I completely disagree. Here are some pictures to show before and after. While we both agree it is the internet I posted a few pages back images when I said I would place an order.

Full tank - not a great picture but it gives the idea:
    ful1-bad.jpg

Fully tank 2:
    Full2-bad.jpg

Product arrived on Wednesday. I did a water change on Thursday and did a bit of sand bed cleaning to see if I could siphon any of it off the bottom but it didn't really work. The tank is 30" tall so my manual siphon probably wasn't strong enough to pull it through - I may have to see about a power head added or something. Anyway the images below are from this morning. Not a clear full tank but you can see the right side clear and less stringy algae on the hammers. The middle lower rock is also clear and the rock on the left side is the best I've seen. So while I know you don't like it - for me I love it. It works very well. Note - my tank is 1 year old thus few corals. What is there is what I carried over from my 40 breeder minus two or three test corals.

Hammer area:
    20190317_101629.jpg

Right side - rock:
    20190317_101623.jpg

Right side panel - no wavy stuff anymore:
    20190317_101623.jpg 20190317_101617.jpg

Left side rock:
    20190317_101605.jpg

20/20Doc, Brew12, chum and 2 others like this.
  5. chum

chum Active Member Build Thread Contributor

i have been using this for 4 months and my tank is 99.9 algae free. i now use it biweekly .

20/20Doc, Brew12 and saf1 like this.
  6. Lninwa

Lninwa Well-Known Member

My tank is full of gha and Fluconozole did not work. I’ve been dosing Vibrant for 3 weeks. I haven’t noticed a difference in the gha but now I have cyano. Do I use Chemiclean?

7. JDnKY

JDnKY Active Member R2R Supporter

I had Cyano pretty bad a couple of months ago and used Chemclean and it got rid of about 90% of the Cyano. It started coming back pretty strong with bubble algae as well this time. I dosed 15ml Vibrant in a 180 about 4 days ago and the Cyano is just about gone and the bubble algae seems to be receding a little. The Vibrant also seems to be killing off all other algae in my tank except the coraline. Even my snails are getting their original color back. Didn’t have any GHA so don’t know about that.

8. wesman42

wesman42 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I'll be looking at Vibrant under 4000 magnification to get an idea of it's composition. My working theory is the bacterial strains it contains are basically Cyano. Cyano in a bottle.

Could be way off, but that doesn't mean it's bad, just that nobody knows *WHAT KIND* of bacteria Vibrant actually contains.

There's no active scientific discussion on the product, and through my searching, there hasn't been verification of it's composition. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Once we understand what it is, then I believe we can begin to understand the long term implications of using it (if any).

As for Dinos, no, I don't believe Vibrant takes care of Dinos independently. Dinos require a multi-faceted approach like UV, raising nutrients etc. Heck, even in the wild, there is great difficulty in containing outbreaks.

9. Lninwa

Lninwa Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to see your findings

10. Dj City

Dj City Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Vibrant did not work FOR ME.
    I will not bash the product thought. Others have had success
    I don't know what was different or the same as everyone's tank Is different
    If it worked gor you then great

Don't hate on something that might work for others but did not work for you.

saf1 likes this.
  11. flchamp89

flchamp89 Active Member

Can you elaborate. Was this a new build or did you have issues that it corrected and you have just continued using it?

12. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 North Alabama Reef Club Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

My suspicion is that the dying algae is what is feeding the cyano. I use a cobalt mj1200 pump to blast any dead algae off my rock when that happens. Cyano will form a mat over the dying vegetation that will also protect the algae underneath so I would do this regularly. I'm treating a fairly brutal algae right now and "power wash" my rocks at least every 2 or 3 days.

Nope, you are correct. It's a closely held secret. If you could patent a bacterial product like this I think UWC would let us know what exactly it is. But, if he did that, anyone could market an identical product.
    For what it's worth, I think I have narrowed down the main active bacteria involved to one of 4 different strains, none of which are a type of cyano. Going beyond that wasn't possible within my reasonable limitations, and I was comfortable with any of the 4, so I stopped digging.

saf1, wesman42 and chum like this.
  13. chum

chum Active Member Build Thread Contributor

my tank was about 9 months old when i received a frag plug with some bubble and hair algae on it . i did not deal with it at the time and both started taking over my tank. my tank holds about 30 gallons and has zoas and palys . i never ran a skimmer or gac/carbon, just did weekly water changes. i started using vibrant and did a weekly siphon of the sand and blowing off my rocks with a turkey baster and this has worked very well for me. i have cut back from 2 doses a week to weekly to every two weeks now with the vibrant. i started every two weeks around the beginning of feb. and so far so good. i did have a cyano outbreak but like brew12 said blowing it off the rocks and getting the dying algae out worked on getting rid of it.

Brew12 and flchamp89 like this.
  14. flchamp89

flchamp89 Active Member

This is great. More exciting is 4 months on a maintenance dose is working as well.

chum and Brew12 like this.
  15. saf1

saf1 Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Seems to be clearing up a lot of my rock work and glass panels. Substrate and center rock still have some left. What I found interesting so far is that my Kenya tree reacted negatively to the dosing which was odd. I have a pretty large piece that was doing well prior to the dose then slowly deflated and started to shed branches. I'd keep picking them up and then finally just removed the main branch. It just peeled off with ease when normally it is difficult.

Also noticed my phosphates actually went up. Prior to the first dose my nitrates read 12 - 25 mg/l and my phosphates read .27. Today nitrates read 5 - 12 mg/l and my phosphates went up to .38. Maybe the hair or whatever algae it was was consuming phosphates thus a lower reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted