Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Stephen Reed

View Badges
Reaction score
After having to move my tank twice in a year an not having a lot of time for maintenance I had a terrible algae bloom. After pulling out the big clumps vibrant made a huge difference over the last 3 weeks, there’s only a stubborn spots left.

Top Shelf Aquatics

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
9 weeks into treatment for my 125g reef which was borderline overrun by bubble alage. ~140g total system volume. Beginning water parameters: NO3 ~3, PO4 generally undetectable.

Weeks 1-4, dosed 14-15ml 1x/week. No noticable effect besides slowing the rate of further encroachment.

Week 5 I began dosing 2x/week, as I was unsatisfied with the results.

Weeks 6-7 began seeing occasional broken pieces of BA floating around the tank, some pieces were beginning to lighten and pop, and were not replaced by new cells. Some corals that were being encroached upon beginning to reclaim their space. Chaeto and gracillara in sump greatly reduced, GHA which I also allow in sump not affected.

Weeks 8-9 I've noticed corraline algae beginning to encrust on many of the bubbles. Many cells are visibly popped.
Small clumps of cells beginning to detach and are consumed by CUC. Not sure if that means the BA is dead and still attached, but it seems like progress. Chaeto/gracillara virtually gone, GHA thriving with less competition in the sump area. Currently parameters NO3 ~6, PO4 .05

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
9 weeks into treatment for my 125g reef which was borderline overrun by bubble alage. ~140g total system volume. Beginning water parameters: NO3 ~3, PO4 generally undetectable.

Weeks 1-4, dosed 14-15ml 1x/week. No noticable effect besides slowing the rate of further encroachment.

Week 5 I began dosing 2x/week, as I was unsatisfied with the results.

Weeks 6-7 began seeing occasional broken pieces of BA floating around the tank, some pieces were beginning to lighten and pop, and were not replaced by new cells. Some corals that were being encroached upon beginning to reclaim their space. Chaeto and gracillara in sump greatly reduced, GHA which I also allow in sump not affected.

Weeks 8-9 I've noticed corraline algae beginning to encrust on many of the bubbles. Many cells are visibly popped.
Small clumps of cells beginning to detach and are consumed by CUC. Not sure if that means the BA is dead and still attached, but it seems like progress. Chaeto/gracillara virtually gone, GHA thriving with less competition in the sump area. Currently parameters NO3 ~6, PO4 .05
FYI, removing any algae from your sump will speed up the process that the BA dies off.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
FYI, removing any algae from your sump will speed up the process that the BA dies off.
Well, that makes sense. I had only considered trying to keep my sump alage alive throughout the process, but ya I can see how that would reduce the effectiveness of the product. Thanks for the tip!

Chevyguy8893

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been using Vibrant since mid to late October 2019 following the guidelines for cleaning up my Biocube 32 (I won't go into detail of how it got to that point other than neglect). The tank has been running in its current for for two years, but everything was moved from my previous setup that was running for approximately 3 years. Needless to say, it became overrun with turf algae (at least that is what I came to based on the information I came upon; tough, fibrous, hard to remove, etc.). Now, I have some disclaimers other than just dosing this and hoping for the best.

As can be seen in the photos, the rock work was completely redone. The first photo is after I removed a few clumps of algae, but the majority of it was still attached to the rock. While I was rearranging everything I took the opportunity to manually remove everything I possibly could, and then I rinsed the rocks off the best I could outside of the tank. When the rock was rearranged I also added a skimmer (never ran before), switched to an InTank media basket with GFO and carbon (both filtration media was used beforehand, the filtration was just improved), and improved the circulation through the tank. After the water change, and whatever else, I started dosing 2.5 mL of Vibrant once a week. Since then, I have stuck to a 5 gallon a week water change and making sure the rocks don't build-up with waste again.

Basically, I reintroduced stability/consistency while the aquarium began improving. The second photo is just after rearranging, and has been the comparison photo since then. The third photo is just before the biocube went topless and I added a new light. The fourth, and final, photo is the aquarium as of today (12/7). I will also also add that I don't have any water sample testing throughout this whole time, just observational notes.

It didn't take too long to start seeing a decline in the algae, and most of it ended up in the filter floss that I had to change out twice a week just to keep it flowing freely. Up until two weeks ago, I stuck with dosing once a week after the weekly water change. There has been a few spots that the algae just doesn't want to give up, so I upped the dose to 2.5 mL twice a week (Sunday, Wednesday). So far, that dosing has started knocking those portions back.

So, some other notes to this point, in my experience nothing has been negatively impacted by either dosing levels other than the algae. The water clarity did seem to improve beyond what the filtration could do. I haven't had any other nuisance algae popping up as the turf algae declined. The macro algae that randomly popped up in my tank a while ago did also begin to decline even before I upped the dose. Finally, I cannot say that this decline is only because of the Vibrant, but I do believe it helped with getting the tank back on track along with the other changes.

There were plenty of problems with this setup that were corrected (hopefully), and I will continue with the Vibrant dosing. At some point it will be reduced to a maintenance dose. I believe that covers everything in my mind to allow others to derive their own conclusion from my ramblings. I apologize for the fourth photo, my phone can't quite handle the new light.

20191017_123742.jpg

20191017_154751.jpg

20191116_110233.jpg

20191207_171839.jpg

Corals.com

NanoReefLovers

View Badges
Reaction score
Vibrant does not affect macro algaes or refugiums. Algae scrubbers are a different story and we recommend taking them offline while using Vibrant.
It took my chaetomorpha out before it took out the hair algae. This may be coincidence or possibly just bad timing but my experience is Vibrant will kill the macro as well.

OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, we recommend taking chaeto offline now if dosing more then one time every two weeks :)

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
So after following the Vibrant instructions for a "dirty" tank containing a nasty outbreak of Prorocentrum Dinos, I have come to the conclusion that it does nothing to eliminate the species of Dino that I have. It has been 4 weeks of dosing and I saw no changes.

To those who work for Underwater Creations Inc, there is a huge need in the reefing community for an effective product like yours to eliminate all different types of Dinos. I highly encourage you to perform more tests and tweak your formula in order to try and develop a more effective solution. It needs to work for as many different species of Dinos as possible so getting an accurate ID of what species you are testing will be critical.

I appreciate the work you are doing. While it did not fix my specific problem, I still like your product and would recommend it to others who are trying to fix a different algae issue or simply want clearer water.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
I will doing my 4th dose tomorrow for GHA and I have not really seen any difference in the tank so far.... I don't know if it is me wanting to see some browning in the GHA in certain areas of the tank, but when I look again, it looks like the same hue as the rest of it. @UWC should I just keep with the same 2.5ml dose for a 29g? or should I increase it? I was hoping by week 4 I should see some kind of ground gained, maybe I'm wrong..... I have been in there pulling it out manually as well some areas are hard to get to but doing my best....

Waynerock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Since I am wrapping up my 4th week dose I can say without a doubt this stuff works very well. I did have to dose aminos because my SPS where getting very light colored and starving but the aminos worked like a charm. It will strip your N and P so keep an eye on that and go very slow and err on the side of caution and half dose weekly if you worry about that. I had blackish stuff on the rocks and GHA all over and its almost toally gone and I can finish by manual removing the leftover GHA and that easily lets go of the rocks. Like BRS said when they tested this stuff, go slow it took you months for the infestation to happen it will take a month or months to be gone.

ReefGeezer

View Badges
Reaction score
I'll summarize my Vibrant experience. 1) Successful for treating a stubborn but not out of control case of hair algae. 2) Did no harm to anything in the tank. 3) Made the glass, rocks, and pump surfaces look cleaner. 4) Slowed film build-up on glass. 5) Made water clearer. 6) Got a little bit of Red Cyano during the process but it disappeared quickly. I've never been a proponent of adding products to solve a problem. I am glad I decided to try this one, but reporting good results rather than panning the product seems weird.

I have to stipulate I gave the product some help. I did a ~15% water change prior to each weekly dose (10ml in my 100 gallon system). I added a big Sea Hare. I continued carbon dosing (25 ml/day of Vinegar). I used a higher quantity of GFO during the first two weeks of adding Vibrant.

After about 5 weeks, the algae is gone, the tank and corals (mostly SPS) look better than they have ever looked. The Sea Hare is now helping someone else. I'll happily continue the maintenance dose of Vibrant for a while.

taricha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
after following the Vibrant instructions for a "dirty" tank containing a nasty outbreak of Prorocentrum Dinos, I have come to the conclusion that it does nothing to eliminate the species of Dino that I have. It has been 4 weeks of dosing and I saw no changes.
Not my thread and a bit out of my lane, but just a few thoughts.
Export is really important, especially with vibrant and hard to do correctly.
Since you knew it was dinos first you probably elevated nutrients, which meant there was probably lots of growth of various kinds. Many targets for vibrant and it's unlikely dinos would be one of first things to go.
As material dies it's hard to get to it to remove it, but dying material of one kind often supports nuisance of another kind.
(In short, I would not expect vibrant to show progress under those conditions vs dinos in 4 weeks.)

Waynerock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Since I am wrapping up my 4th week dose I can say without a doubt this stuff works very well. I did have to dose aminos because my SPS where getting very light colored and starving but the aminos worked like a charm. It will strip your N and P so keep an eye on that and go very slow and err on the side of caution and half dose weekly if you worry about that. I had blackish stuff on the rocks and GHA all over and its almost totally gone and I can finish by manual removing the leftover GHA and that easily lets go of the rocks. Like BRS said when they tested this stuff, go slow it took you months for the infestation to happen it will take a month or months to be gone.
ok most of the GHA is gone, Rocks not all blackish and looking like rocks again. Going to cut down to every two weeks now ans keep an eye on everything. I received some ZEOBAK and I am thinking about dosing to diversify my bacteria portfolio and dosing but I dont know what the impact will be. Anyone got any ideas? I would say Vibrant is a success and would recommend to anyone.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I was at a LFS yesterday to pick up some accessories when I over heard a discussion on how great Vibrant is (sold out every where). So here I am, doing some reading and research. Gosh, there's 289 pages and I'm only on page 35 from 2016.

I have issues with dinoflagellates constantly appearing on the sand bed and a thin brown film when scraping the glass. I currently deal with it through routine weekly maintenance by surface sand siphon and water change. However it keeps coming back. This is the only algae issue I'm having.

I'm using RODI (0.00 TDS)
My Nitrates was last tested to be 2ppm
My Phophate is 0.03ppm
My big three are stable 8.3 dkh, 443ca, 1310mg

I read silicate can be the problem but I don't know where to check or test.

Should I consider using Vibrant for this or would it do more harm than remedy?

Thank you for your time.

taricha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Si regulation is used to control diatoms. Dinoflagellates are a different story.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would not think that Vibrant would address your Dino issue. As a matter of fact, I think Dino can be a result of over use of the product because I’m seeing it as the end result after the nuisance algae eradication.

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi, I have a hair algae problem. Nothing major. I love to use the product to ease my removing process.
My AlK 11 No3 at 10ppm Po4 at 0.04

My question is will Po4 drop to 0 if I start using your product? Do I need to dose Po4 while using your product to keep it not 0 since my Po4 is already low? Same with No3, will it need to be dose to keep it up? Will it have negative effect dosing No3 and Po4 while using your product?

Reason I want to keep No3 high is to buffer it since I have high ALK. Don't want it to drop to 0. Same reason for Po4.

Also I recently watch a 2019 MANA about carbon dosing later in the video at (31:00 minutes) here is link
Is your product like what is he talking about ?Basically have bacteria eating Po4 and Coral eat Po4 and No3 at the same time?

Thank you for reading my long list of questions. Love to hear back from you with some insight.

infinite0180

View Badges
Reaction score
Alright, ive decided to give this a shot. I have a rsr nano with a total system water volume of about 25 gal. Its mainly sps dominated but i have an acan and some goni as well. A few months ago i started amino dosing and its really helped my corals a ton! Problem is, bubble algae has exploded on my lower rock work and its not getting better. My nutrients are stable at 5 ppm no3 and 0.05 ppm po4. I know i could zero those out and probably beat the algae but it will wreck my coral... i was thinking of starting slow with the vibrant. How does 2 ml once a week sound to get started?

ReefGeezer

View Badges
Reaction score
As I posted above, Vibrant did a great job of getting rid of hair algae for me. I think it works by supplying bacteria that "consume" both algae and organic waste. In the process, nutrients bound in the algae and the waste become bioavailable. So, unlike carbon dosing, that would tend to flat-line measurable nutrients, I believe Vibrant has the capacity to raise them. I chose to continue to carbon dose, use GFO, and do slightly large weekly water changes while I was using Vibrant weekly just to help control the new nutrient load. Now that the algae is gone, I've stopped carbon dosing, reduced water changes to normal, and reduced the amount of GFO I'm using. Nutrients levels were getting low and I was seeing a little Cyano start to pop up here and there. I'm adding 7ml of Vibrant every two weeks just to maintain the system. Here'a a quick post Vibrant picture. Nothing special, but definitely an improvement.
20191218_125023.jpg

What's the "sweet spot" in spending for a SINGLE fish?

• $25 or less

Votes: 38 6.6%
  • $50 or less

Votes: 213 37.1%
  • $75 or less

Votes: 134 23.3%
  • $100 or less

Votes: 94 16.4%
  • $150 or less

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • $200 or less

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • If I like it I buy it no matter the cost!

Votes: 59 10.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums