Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
When I say dose ChemiClean I didnt mean on a regular basis. More like a 1 and done type thing. Or its it a water and cyano will come right back to me doing Vibrant?
The problem with ChemiClean is that it is an antibiotic. It will not only kill the cyanobacteria but it will also kill some of the good bacteria that you want to have established in your system. My experience is that most people who use it, without making other substantial changes, end up having cyano back in only a few weeks.
If you make the changes needed, such as more manual removal of detritus, the cyano will clear up on its own without ChemiClean.

Reaction score
The problem with ChemiClean is that it is an antibiotic. It will not only kill the cyanobacteria but it will also kill some of the good bacteria that you want to have established in your system. My experience is that most people who use it, without making other substantial changes, end up having cyano back in only a few weeks.
If you make the changes needed, such as more manual removal of detritus, the cyano will clear up on its own without ChemiClean.
I understand what you are saying. And I generally understand what causes cyano. Fact is. Whike vibrant has helped with some of my nuisance algae, it has in turn given my cyano. Like trading one evil for another.

I know I am not the only person who experienced this, so what can I do to get rid of it while being able to maintain dosing Vibrant? Again.. I had ZERO cyano prior to starting vibrant.

Doctorgori

View Badges
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. And I generally understand what causes cyano. Fact is. Whike vibrant has helped with some of my nuisance algae, it has in turn given my cyano. Like trading one evil for another.

I know I am not the only person who experienced this, so what can I do to get rid of it while being able to maintain dosing Vibrant? Again.. I had ZERO cyano prior to starting vibrant.
Before Vibrant and Chemiclean Ole skool methods did in fact work; it just took patients and several weeks...I’ve used both products and seems Vibrant knocks out cheato which IME allows opportunity for something else.... IMO the corrolary between chaeto decline and Vibrant is beyond anecdotal

Chemicleans side effects are less obvious and preventable if you followup with some serious H2O changes and good detritus/algae removal and house cleaning ... I’ve had pretty decent luck doing a major cleanup before application and then another major followup cleaning

A strong suggestion is if you have a sump with macro algae and use Vibrant switch either temporarily or permanently to sea lettuce (or a chaeto/lettuce mix) its seems more immune to meltdown

Reaction score
Before Vibrant and Chemiclean Ole skool methods did in fact work; it just took patients and several weeks...I’ve used both products and seems Vibrant knocks out cheato which IME allows opportunity for something else.... IMO the corrolary between chaeto decline and Vibrant is beyond anecdotal

Chemicleans side effects are less obvious and preventable if you followup with some serious H2O changes and good detritus/algae removal and house cleaning ... I’ve had pretty decent luck doing a major cleanup before application and then another major followup cleaning

A strong suggestion is if you have a sump with macro algae and use Vibrant switch either temporarily or permanently to sea lettuce (or a chaeto/lettuce mix) its seems more immune to meltdown
I have an IM 20gallon...no sump clearly. And I havnt utilized one of the back compartments for a refuge.

I do bi-weekly wc at 5gal so roughly 30% when you take sand/rock into account. I run carbon (Rox 0.8) and filter floss in my baskets. No skimmer. I use a baster on my sand and rocks several times a week and change out the floss every few days.

I have just a single clown in my tank so bio load is low and I feed light.

So I do all the necessary upkeep, but cyano while using this product remains a constant.

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone know if Vibrant can be dosed with Refine simultaneously? Still havent found a clear answer yet. I just dosed Refine to deal with a dino outbreak, but wonder if I can also dose Vibrant

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there such thing as overdosing this stuff?
Yes, but I've seen people add 10x the normal dose with no negative repercussions. At some point I'm sure it can cause harm.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone know if Vibrant can be dosed with Refine simultaneously? Still havent found a clear answer yet. I just dosed Refine to deal with a dino outbreak, but wonder if I can also dose Vibrant
Sorry I can't help, I have no idea about Refine. I would think it would be safe but can't say for sure.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score

Mechanical removal of dead and dying algae. It is what is feeding the cyano. I stirred my sand bed and used a Cobalt MJ1200 to blast all the gunk off the rocks and my cyano cleared up fairly quickly.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
You're talking about UWC's Refine product to add NO3 and PO4, correct? If so, yes, you can dose Vibrant and Refine. When we had dinos a few years ago, @UWC answered that question for me. You're good to go there!

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Vibrant takes a looooooooong time to beat gha back. Like months folks. Patience is key.
Is it worth starting vibrant if my tank is still in its ugly stage (just over 3 month old tank), but is battling gha, bryopsis, and dino? I just started the UWC Refine to add nitrate for the dino and have vibrant. Should I dose vibrant now or better to wait for my tank to mature longer?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Is it worth starting vibrant if my tank is still in its ugly stage (just over 3 month old tank), but is battling gha, bryopsis, and dino? I just started the UWC Refine to add nitrate for the dino and have vibrant. Should I dose vibrant now or better to wait for my tank to mature longer?
I would start the Vibrant and after doing the Vibrant for a few weeks stop with the Refine.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone know want algae this is that is forming on my rocks? It almost looks like it’s melting away.

Yup, it's dino's. Yo probably have dying algae or mulm on your rocks that it is feeding off of. This is what I feel using a small pump like a Cobalt MJ1200 to blast they decaying stuff of the rock helps prevent.

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 234 25.7%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • Every month

Votes: 37 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%