Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Vibrant update.. after many months battling GHA my tank is finally clean again! Although I was impressed with vibrant from the beginning I had my doubts that it was going fully solve my GHA issues. after several weeks of vibrant my GHA turned lighter in color and had almost a "grey" look to it and was much easier to remove but sadly it continued to grow like crazy! I would scrub the tank twice a week but in a few short days the GHA would grow back with a vengeance. after three months of dosing vibrant twice a week and constant scrubbing I had resolved to the fact although helpful it wasn't going to fully solve my issues and then... "drum roll" at about week 14 seemingly overnight all the GHA just melted into piles of green "mush"!! all of it gone!! and now Im at week 16 with no signs of it returning :) Still dosing but I have cut back on the amount and frequency.

970B3F2E-BE92-4CD6-A15A-273CA7543710.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Vibrant update.. after many months battling GHA my tank is finally clean again! Although I was impressed with vibrant from the beginning I had my doubts that it was going fully solve my GHA issues. after several weeks of vibrant my GHA turned lighter in color and had almost a "grey" look to it and was much easier to remove but sadly it continued to grow like crazy! I would scrub the tank twice a week but in a few short days the GHA would grow back with a vengeance. after three months of dosing vibrant twice a week and constant scrubbing I had resolved to the fact although helpful it wasn't going to fully solve my issues and then... "drum roll" at about week 14 seemingly overnight all the GHA just melted into piles of green "mush"!! all of it gone!! and now Im at week 16 with no signs of it returning :) Still dosing but I have cut back on the amount and frequency.

970B3F2E-BE92-4CD6-A15A-273CA7543710.png
Gorgeous tank! Love the colors!

I just picked up 16oz bottle for my 8 month old 40g breeder build with 20g refugium.

This was my first dry rock build and I didn't soak as long as I would have liked prior to cycling so I've been dealing with diatoms, cyano and now tiny patches of hair algae in some crevices.

I'm going to do the 1ml per gallon once every 2x weeks and see what happens!

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Gorgeous tank! Love the colors!

I just picked up 16oz bottle for my 8 month old 40g breeder build with 20g refugium.

This was my first dry rock build and I didn't soak as long as I would have liked prior to cycling so I've been dealing with diatoms, cyano and now tiny patches of hair algae in some crevices.

I'm going to do the 1ml per gallon once every 2x weeks and see what happens!
Just do it once a week. I’m dosing bi weekly and still didn’t kill everything. Follow the bottle.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I have macro algae in my display and in the refugium, you don't think I'll kill it going with the higher dose?
Depending on the type of algae, the Vibrant would likely kill it, so yes, I think you should move it to your 20g if you want to save it.
I'm not sure if Vibrant works well on calcified algae like Shaving Brush algae but it will take out most common kinds.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Depending on the type of algae, the Vibrant would likely kill it, so yes, I think you should move it to your 20g if you want to save it.
I'm not sure if Vibrant works well on calcified algae like Shaving Brush algae but it will take out most common kinds.
I've read threads where the 1 dose every 2 weeks doesn't kill the macro, am I correct? I don't have a crap ton of algae, maybe I don't even need to use.

I do have some coming next week though.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
I've read threads where the 1 dose every 2 weeks doesn't kill the macro, am I correct? I don't have a crap ton of algae, maybe I don't even need to use.

I do have some coming next week though.
My chaeto did just fine with 1 dose every 2 weeks.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
I have macro algae in my display and in the refugium, you don't think I'll kill it going with the higher dose?
When I was dosing once a week I did not notice my chaeto dying. Since I have turf algae I am now bi weekly dosing. It definitely killed most of my cheato. I actually just removed the rest from the tank.

One month ago (bout 3 weeks into dosing)

And here we are today

Biggest thing I noticed was the need to watch your nitrates and phosphates. I dose nopox so I watched my high nitrates slowly fall to around .75ppm. Had really high phos so I had GFO running. It hovered around .06 ppm. I noticed a few Dino’s popping up and cyano so I started to dose nitrate to keep the ppm around 5 or so. Two days ago I turned off my gfo which bumped it up to .16 ppm. Today it settled around .06ppm.

Still going to dose biweekly.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
When I was dosing once a week I did not notice my chaeto dying. Since I have turf algae I am now bi weekly dosing. It definitely killed most of my cheato. I actually just removed the rest from the tank.

One month ago (bout 3 weeks into dosing)

And here we are today

Biggest thing I noticed was the need to watch your nitrates and phosphates. I dose nopox so I watched my high nitrates slowly fall to around .75ppm. Had really high phos so I had GFO running. It hovered around .06 ppm. I noticed a few Dino’s popping up and cyano so I started to dose nitrate to keep the ppm around 5 or so. Two days ago I turned off my gfo which bumped it up to .16 ppm. Today it settled around .06ppm.

Still going to dose biweekly.
Wow, thanks for the pics. My tank is no where near this bad, I'll post some pics tomorrow since my lights are off for the night already.

Seems like it's working for you!

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the pics. My tank is no where near this bad, I'll post some pics tomorrow since my lights are off for the night already.

Seems like it's working for you!
Yeah my tank was neglected for a few months and phosphates were insanely high. Along with new tank syndrome the algae took over.

Hopefully by continuing dosing I’ll experience some major results around week 12-15 of dosing. There has been a price to pay, most of my zoanthids in my frag tank have started to melt or have been closed. Probably due to nutrients bottoming out and heavy dosing. Hopefully they recover with me keeping my nitrates higher

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah my tank was neglected for a few months and phosphates were insanely high. Along with new tank syndrome the algae took over.

Hopefully by continuing dosing I’ll experience some major results around week 12-15 of dosing. There has been a price to pay, most of my zoanthids in my frag tank have started to melt or have been closed. Probably due to nutrients bottoming out and heavy dosing. Hopefully they recover with me keeping my nitrates higher
I was a total bonehead and didn't soak my reef saver dry rock long enough so had issues from the get go in mine. I have a lot of other macro algae to try and offset the bad stuff plus an oversized skimmer and refugium, I prefer to do things the natural way.

That being said, this bacteria is natural when it really comes down to it. I've seen good things so if my sand doesn't clear and my rocks keep growing crap I'm going to give it a whirl on the lowest dose + good husbandry.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
I was a total bonehead and didn't soak my reef saver dry rock long enough so had issues from the get go in mine. I have a lot of other macro algae to try and offset the bad stuff plus an oversized skimmer and refugium, I prefer to do things the natural way.

That being said, this bacteria is natural when it really comes down to it. I've seen good things so if my sand doesn't clear and my rocks keep growing crap I'm going to give it a whirl on the lowest dose + good husbandry.
As my pictures show the stuff definitely works. IMO it works a lot slower than people expect. Also prepare for cyano during it. Probably from the algae dying. I weekly take a MJ1200 pump and blast my rocks. Blows off dying algae and cyano patches. Follow that by changing my filter socks and perform a water change. Just keep an eye on your nutrient levels during the dose, drop too low and you’ll spark a Dino outbreak IMO.

I think you’ll be fine taking it slow and dosing once a week.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
As my pictures show the stuff definitely works. IMO it works a lot slower than people expect. Also prepare for cyano during it. Probably from the algae dying. I weekly take a MJ1200 pump and blast my rocks. Blows off dying algae and cyano patches. Follow that by changing my filter socks and perform a water change. Just keep an eye on your nutrient levels during the dose, drop too low and you’ll spark a Dino outbreak IMO.

I think you’ll be fine taking it slow and dosing once a week.
20200428_120444.jpg

20200428_120446.jpg

20200428_120506.jpg

I have this crap ( think it's diatoms ) all over my sandbed every morning. It's just the top layer and I blow it off every day just for it to come back the next.

Been going on for months. I have an oversized protein skimmer and a fuge with chaeto.

I feed Easy Masstick 40 every day along with phytoplex.

Occasionally I use Reef Roids and Marine Snow.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
20200428_120444.jpg

20200428_120446.jpg

20200428_120506.jpg

I have this crap ( think it's diatoms ) all over my sandbed every morning. It's just the top layer and I blow it off every day just for it to come back the next.

Been going on for months. I have an oversized protein skimmer and a fuge with chaeto.

I feed Easy Masstick 40 every day along with phytoplex.

Occasionally I use Reef Roids and Marine Snow.
Products like Reef Roids can cause issues in newer tanks. They don't have the coral mass to consume the product quickly, leaving it to fuel less desirable things. I think Cyano is the most common issue, but not the only one.

OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just saw this-Is there a way to tell if the Vibrant purchased off Amazon is legit? I bought from Kwik retail off Amazon now Im worried I got a knock off?!?
They're legit. We have actually never come across a knock off :)

hllb

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been dosing vibrant for about 8 weeks now in my 32g biocube. For the first 6 weeks I was dosing 2.5 ml twice a week ( have about 25g of water volume). Now I'm dosing 2.5 ml once a week. It's not really working for me. It kept it from spreading when I was doing two doses a week, but didn't get rid of it. Now it's spreading again. Should I go back to twice a week dosing, or should I up the dose and just stick with weekly? I can post some pictures later, once the whites come on. Nitrates hover around 10 and phosphates are currently at .03-.05.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been dosing vibrant for about 8 weeks now in my 32g biocube. For the first 6 weeks I was dosing 2.5 ml twice a week ( have about 25g of water volume). Now I'm dosing 2.5 ml once a week. It's not really working for me. It kept it from spreading when I was doing two doses a week, but didn't get rid of it. Now it's spreading again. Should I go back to twice a week dosing, or should I up the dose and just stick with weekly? I can post some pictures later, once the whites come on. Nitrates hover around 10 and phosphates are currently at .03-.05.
I'd be consistent with it, but I don't get mine until Saturday and I have very mild algae problems.

Top Shelf Aquatics

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 234 25.7%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • Every month

Votes: 37 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%