Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
I've been dosing vibrant for about 8 weeks now in my 32g biocube. For the first 6 weeks I was dosing 2.5 ml twice a week ( have about 25g of water volume). Now I'm dosing 2.5 ml once a week. It's not really working for me. It kept it from spreading when I was doing two doses a week, but didn't get rid of it. Now it's spreading again. Should I go back to twice a week dosing, or should I up the dose and just stick with weekly? I can post some pictures later, once the whites come on. Nitrates hover around 10 and phosphates are currently at .03-.05.

Eight weeks may not be enough time for your system, at ten weeks of treatment I was thinking same as you but I kept dosing 1ml per 10 gallons twice a week along with manual removal and stepped up tank maintenance.. seemingly overnight at about week 14 all my GHA just melted away. I would continue the twice per week @ 3 ml on your system and give it another couple months

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
I've been dosing vibrant for about 8 weeks now in my 32g biocube. For the first 6 weeks I was dosing 2.5 ml twice a week ( have about 25g of water volume). Now I'm dosing 2.5 ml once a week. It's not really working for me. It kept it from spreading when I was doing two doses a week, but didn't get rid of it. Now it's spreading again. Should I go back to twice a week dosing, or should I up the dose and just stick with weekly? I can post some pictures later, once the whites come on. Nitrates hover around 10 and phosphates are currently at .03-.05.
I personally am witnessing that the product takes longer than a month or two for most stubborn algae. I am past week 8 and still have plenty of algae however there is evidence of it working. I’d up your dose to 3ml a week and keep going

hllb

View Badges
Reaction score
Eight weeks may not be enough time for your system, at ten weeks of treatment I was thinking same as you but I kept dosing 1ml per 10 gallons twice a week along with manual removal and stepped up tank maintenance.. seemingly overnight at about week 14 all my GHA just melted away. I would continue the twice per week @ 3 ml on your system and give it another couple months
I was encouraged by your progress post. I think I will go back to twice a week. When I was doing that, the GHA came off the rocks so much easier than it does now. I scrub down part of my rock with a toothbrush once a week. It's not bad right now, but it's growing too much and getting harder to scrub off. Here are some pictures:

IMG-2429.jpg

IMG-2427.jpg
IMG-2428.jpg

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
I was encouraged by your progress post. I think I will go back to twice a week. When I was doing that, the GHA came off the rocks so much easier than it does now. I scrub down part of my rock with a toothbrush once a week. It's not bad right now, but it's growing too much and getting harder to scrub off. Here are some pictures:

IMG-2429.jpg

IMG-2427.jpg
IMG-2428.jpg
You have the same algae as I do. It’s going to take a longer time for it to work.

hllb

View Badges
Reaction score
You have the same algae as I do. It’s going to take a longer time for it to work.
the only thing that's worked well was peroxide but my corals hated it so I quit. Thanks for the encouragement. It used to be so much worse before the peroxide.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
the only thing that's worked well was peroxide but my corals hated it so I quit. Thanks for the encouragement. It used to be so much worse before the peroxide.
I use peroxide and it’s amazing at keeping water clear.People here don’t dose peroxide correctly. You need to buy a söchting oxydator. That will constantly and slowly dose peroxide unlike one time daily dosing

hllb

View Badges
Reaction score
I use peroxide and it’s amazing at keeping water clear.People here don’t dose peroxide correctly. You need to buy a söchting oxydator. That will constantly and slowly dose peroxide unlike one time daily dosing
I was doing a 3ml spot treatment to the algae once a week with 35%. It was aggressive but literally every inch of rock exposed to light was covered and it was almost 2" long. It worked really well, but my hammer and trumpet did not recover well. The hammer, a few months later, is still recovering.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
I was doing a 3ml spot treatment to the algae once a week with 35%. It was aggressive but literally every inch of rock exposed to light was covered and it was almost 2" long. It worked really well, but my hammer and trumpet did not recover well. The hammer, a few months later, is still recovering.
Woof 35% is strong, I can see why you got a harsh reaction

hllb

View Badges
Reaction score
Woof 35% is strong, I can see why you got a harsh reaction
It’s effective for spot treatment and not typical used for daily dosing. Lots of success using it. Most people don’t have issues with their corals with it

Reaction score
@UWC is there a shelf life for Vibrant? I looked on my bottle and theres bit date if manufacturing or use by.

I dose 1.4mL/week. 20gallon tank but only about 14g after you take iut sand and rock.

So doing that little, the 8oz. bottle will last me a very long time. So, will the bottle still be good 6mo or a year out?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting carbon dosing (slowly, maybe 1/3 dose and ramp up weekly) to replace my ATS while running vibrant.

this has to be covered in here somewhere, but I'm striking out today reading long threads. I just got a bottle of vibrant to fight off a bad bubble algae explosion. But my primary filtration is an ATS, which I'll need to take off line. I have a lot of rock (too much, by current aquascape standards) and a skimmer. I'm thinking that might work well for carbon dosing. I see Vibrant has some vinegar, but a weekly dose leaves a lot of room for NoPox dosing. I am using API test kits, so my phosphate is hard ot read, but if I interpolate between colors it seems to run ~ 0.1. I dose nitrate (so my ATS will pull out phosphate) and it runs around 5-10ppm. This got wordy - so I summarized above.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Algal Turf Scrubber users - how did you take your ATS screen off-line? I'm thinking I might put it in a clear bucket of aquarium water, put it by the window, and maybe dose some nitrates to keep it going. I'm planning for this to be out of service for ~ 2-3 months (8-12 weekly doses of vibrant).
Other choices - put it in my QT tank - but then I risk contaminating my DT. Although my QT hasn't had anything new for a couple of months. It does have a 6-line wrasse in it though - it isn't fallow. Maybe put the screen in a baggie in the refrigerator - enough might survive to speed the restart.
I know it will restart - I just was hoping to make it a little quicker than it was on the new clean screen.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Today I decided to take a toothbrush to the rocks to help pull some of the dying algae off. To my surprise it definitely helped. The weeks prior today the algae did not let go of the rock when brushed with the toothbrush. Today I made some progress with it.

Week 3 of dosing 3/17

And here we are today.

Making progress.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Just dosed the first 1ml in my nano for some algae on the rocks for such a small tank even the 8oz should last me a while. Hope this works!

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
@UWC I did not know if these questions were ever answered but can I change the bottle that vibrant came in? I am only dosing 1ml (as above) and the syringe will only go so far once I work my way in the bottle. Also, would refrigerating do anything to the product?

Corals.com

Caccamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @ all.
I had great result with vibrant so far.
I think the most reason it’s I started to use it in my final stage of the battle with the algae that was just weak (brown gha). Anyway this is when I started to dose Vibrant.
2A67C4EE-7B9D-431F-9D62-10992CC90FAF.jpeg
D9D41B62-CA1E-46AE-BCD5-0349B1A665CB.jpeg
FFF96803-9B6B-495B-AF19-A0ABBBD320F6.jpeg

Those photos are taken in the 14th April. I start to dose Vibrant the 16th April. Before this date I tried one month of fluconazole without any result. So I change plan and I started to add a lot of GFO, do manual remover of algae and deep vacuum of debris. With this method I started to see sone improvements. The gha start to became brown. Anyway after this long story now it’s since 16 April I’m dosing 1,5ml of vibrant twice a week. Now the situation is this
B79B61A5-A09A-4205-A608-6D0323CF5775.jpeg
321D5990-34D7-4505-B9FE-EF34F1A2274B.jpeg
7AD37D50-D63F-4BF2-A89A-A54235B25AA8.jpeg
1B9EF949-220A-4046-B1A7-57A25FEF854C.jpeg

Pratically the 90% of the rocks are clean. Some little parts of some shadow and hard to reach zone still remain with spare little tuft of dying algae.
So my question is I have to still dosing twice week vibrant? And if yes, until?
Thank you very much to all can answer me.
Sorry for my poor English

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need someone to help me in the course of using vibrant. I have dosed 3 times so far each dose is 2/3 of the recommended dose. I am battling bubble algae and I saw immediate results.

The issue is I am facing right now is the level of the No3 and po4. They are 2ppm and 0.04ppm respectively and dropping day by day. (Started 3 weeks ago with 10ppm and 0.08pmm). I am worried about my corals as they will strive if I dosed 2-3 more times.

I don't want to stop vibrant but I will if have to.

I dosed reef Energy A and B from redsea couple of times but I am not sure if this will delay the fight longer. (I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm if the amnio will fuel the algea or not)

I also I reduced the light intensity just to speed up the process and started to dose flatworm stop and coral booster from ziovit along with it. ( I know that flatworm stop will create a puffer around the corals and help them continue feed while they are stressed but I am not sure how the coral booster works. I just started dosing it because it goes along very well with the flatworm stop).

Current kh is 8.5dkh and might lower it 7.5dkh because of the low nutrition situation I have now.

Can anyone help me how to maintain corals happy without stopping vibrant?

Any insight, help, advice, recommendations ....???

Thanks all in advance.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need someone to help me in the course of using vibrant. I have dosed 3 times so far each dose is 2/3 of the recommended dose. I am battling bubble algae and I saw immediate results.

The issue is I am facing right now is the level of the No3 and po4. They are 2ppm and 0.04ppm respectively and dropping day by day. (Started 3 weeks ago with 10ppm and 0.08pmm). I am worried about my corals as they will strive if I dosed 2-3 more times.

I don't want to stop vibrant but I will if have to.

I dosed reef Energy A and B from redsea couple of times but I am not sure if this will delay the fight longer. (I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm if the amnio will fuel the algea or not)

I also I reduced the light intensity just to speed up the process and started to dose flatworm stop and coral booster from ziovit along with it. ( I know that flatworm stop will create a puffer around the corals and help them continue feed while they are stressed but I am not sure how the coral booster works. I just started dosing it because it goes along very well with the flatworm stop).

Current kh is 8.5dkh and might lower it 7.5dkh because of the low nutrition situation I have now.

Can anyone help me how to maintain corals happy without stopping vibrant?

Any insight, help, advice, recommendations ....???

Thanks all in advance.
I had to increase my feedings along with dosing nitrates (neonitrate) to keep my nutrients from bottoming out.. constant testing is required during this process. Can't say 100% but it's been my observation that aminos can fuel algae growth.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Tha
I had to increase my feedings along with dosing nitrates (neonitrate) to keep my nutrients from bottoming out.. constant testing is required during this process. Can't say 100% but it's been my observation that aminos can fuel algae growth.
Thanks for the reply. I can dose nitrates (KNO3) but what about the PO4. Is there any recommended product to use?

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Tha

Thanks for the reply. I can dose nitrates (KNO3) but what about the PO4. Is there any recommended product to use?
I just fed a little more to raise my PO4.. Unfortunately I don't have experience with any products specifically designed to do this, maybe someone will have some thoughts.

Top Shelf Aquatics

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 234 25.7%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • Every month

Votes: 37 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%
  • I don't use filter socks

Votes: 308 33.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 32 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Tired of expensive frozen foods and freezer burn?