Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need someone to help me in the course of using vibrant. I have dosed 3 times so far each dose is 2/3 of the recommended dose. I am battling bubble algae and I saw immediate results.

The issue is I am facing right now is the level of the No3 and po4. They are 2ppm and 0.04ppm respectively and dropping day by day. (Started 3 weeks ago with 10ppm and 0.08pmm). I am worried about my corals as they will strive if I dosed 2-3 more times.

I don't want to stop vibrant but I will if have to.

I dosed reef Energy A and B from redsea couple of times but I am not sure if this will delay the fight longer. (I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm if the amnio will fuel the algea or not)

I also I reduced the light intensity just to speed up the process and started to dose flatworm stop and coral booster from ziovit along with it. ( I know that flatworm stop will create a puffer around the corals and help them continue feed while they are stressed but I am not sure how the coral booster works. I just started dosing it because it goes along very well with the flatworm stop).

Current kh is 8.5dkh and might lower it 7.5dkh because of the low nutrition situation I have now.

Can anyone help me how to maintain corals happy without stopping vibrant?

Any insight, help, advice, recommendations ....???

Thanks all in advance.
You can dose a simple solution of NeoNitro. Brightwell also makes a liquid phosphate. Dry fish food has plenty of phosphate too. Phosphates don’t have to be too high just not 0. I try to keep my nitrate 5-10 for this process

Andycampbell1581

View Badges
Reaction score
sorry if this has already been asked but I've just started using vibrant to kill off bubble algae and plan to dose twice a week for the first few weeks. i have taken my cheato offline just incase it dies back and I'm worried about nitrates and phosphates rising. would water changes reduce the effectiveness of vibrant and dilute it? i dnt wanna spend money on vibrant just to remove it with water changes.

thanks in advance

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
You can dose a simple solution of NeoNitro. Brightwell also makes a liquid phosphate. Dry fish food has plenty of phosphate too. Phosphates don’t have to be too high just not 0. I try to keep my nitrate 5-10 for this process

But if I maintain those numbers, the bubble algae won't go away!! Right?

https://www.omegasea.net/

Nroddot

View Badges
Reaction score
So, I was using vibrant to fight some form green algae growing all over. The vibrant took care of it after about four weeks of weekly dosing. Unfortunately it bottomed out my nutrients (phosphates are undetectable and nirates are 1 ppm) and now I have a dinoflagellates outbreak and my corals are not looking good and starting to wither from what I assume to be a lack of nutrients in the water.

I am not blaming vibrant. Obviously it's my fault for not keeping tabs on my nutrient levels.

But now I am torn as to what to do next. I keep reading that I should look into raising my nutrient levels to encourage types of nuisance algae and microorganisms to establish and outcompete the dinos. But at the same time I also read that I should be dosing bacteria such as vibrant to fight against and outcompete the dinos.

I guess my question is, should I keep dosing vibrant to combat dinos even though the nutrient levels in my tank have bottomed out or do I hold off on vibrant for awhile and let my nutrients build back up??

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So, I was using vibrant to fight some form green algae growing all over. The vibrant took care of it after about four weeks of weekly dosing. Unfortunately it bottomed out my nutrients (phosphates are undetectable and nirates are 1 ppm) and now I have a dinoflagellates outbreak and my corals are not looking good and starting to wither from what I assume to be a lack of nutrients in the water.

I am not blaming vibrant. Obviously it's my fault for not keeping tabs on my nutrient levels.

But now I am torn as to what to do next. I keep reading that I should look into raising my nutrient levels to encourage types of nuisance algae and microorganisms to establish and outcompete the dinos. But at the same time I also read that I should be dosing bacteria such as vibrant to fight against and outcompete the dinos.

I guess my question is, should I keep dosing vibrant to combat dinos even though the nutrient levels in my tank have bottomed out or do I hold off on vibrant for awhile and let my nutrients build back up??
I'd say pick the bigger of the two evils and deal with that. Try to raise your phos/nitrate to combat the dinos.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score

Id keep dosing, at the same time dosing No3 and po4 to get them to manageable levels. Vacuuming as much dinos you can

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score

I would keep dosing Vibrant along with adding nutrients. They aren't mutually exclusive.

https://www.omegasea.net/

Nroddot

View Badges
Reaction score
So, I'm one of those who overdosed Vibrant (was dosing every week and even 2x a week at times) then I bottomed out my nutrients. And you guessed it, dinos appeared. I know some people dose once or twice every week but this is was too much for my system.

Not sure what strain of dinos, but it doesn't seem to disappear and enter the water column at night. It also produces no air bubbles. But it's definitely dinos, I've looked at it under a microscope -- just can't figure out the strain. But anyways, it's growing everywhere. The glass, rock, sand.

I was initially upset with Vibrant but I talked to Underwater Creations on Facebook and explained my situation. They suggested that I only dose once every two weeks so that my nutrients won't be impacted very much. I hesitantly dosed Vibrant yesterday, and after 24 hours...the initial results are looking promising.

This was before dosing Vibrant. Dinos all over the back glass around the overflow.
day 1.jpg

24 hours after Vibrant. I left my blues on, but you can still clearly see that there is virtually NOTHING there. I am only seeing one single dino strand on the entirety of the back glass today.

This is the first day since the dinos outbreak that they have not been all over the back glass. And it almost looks like that there are less dinos on my sandbed, but it's difficult for me to tell. Either way, I will continue using this product. I know dinos can be quite the battle, but I think this is a good first sign.

day 1 (2).jpg

I just wish my soft corals looked better. They've been unhappy for awhile now. I think a combination of bottoming out my nutrients and the dinos have really irritated them. My GSP has been closed for nearly two weeks now and my xenia has stopped pulsing and is literally a fifth of its former size.

I got my nitrates back up to 5 ppm but my phosphates are still undetectable on my Red Sea test kit. Honestly don't like this phosphate test kit, I may get an ultra low range Hanna checker. If anyone has any tips to provide relief to my corals, please share.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
So, I'm one of those who overdosed Vibrant (was dosing every week and even 2x a week at times) then I bottomed out my nutrients. And you guessed it, dinos appeared. I know some people dose once or twice every week but this is was too much for my system.

Not sure what strain of dinos, but it doesn't seem to disappear and enter the water column at night. It also produces no air bubbles. But it's definitely dinos, I've looked at it under a microscope -- just can't figure out the strain. But anyways, it's growing everywhere. The glass, rock, sand.

I was initially upset with Vibrant but I talked to Underwater Creations on Facebook and explained my situation. They suggested that I only dose once every two weeks so that my nutrients won't be impacted very much. I hesitantly dosed Vibrant yesterday, and after 24 hours...the initial results are looking promising.

This was before dosing Vibrant. Dinos all over the back glass around the overflow.
day 1.jpg

24 hours after Vibrant. I left my blues on, but you can still clearly see that there is virtually NOTHING there. I am only seeing one single dino strand on the entirety of the back glass today.

This is the first day since the dinos outbreak that they have not been all over the back glass. And it almost looks like that there are less dinos on my sandbed, but it's difficult for me to tell. Either way, I will continue using this product. I know dinos can be quite the battle, but I think this is a good first sign.

day 1 (2).jpg

I just wish my soft corals looked better. They've been unhappy for awhile now. I think a combination of bottoming out my nutrients and the dinos have really irritated them. My GSP has been closed for nearly two weeks now and my xenia has stopped pulsing and is literally a fifth of its former size.

I got my nitrates back up to 5 ppm but my phosphates are still undetectable on my Red Sea test kit. Honestly don't like this phosphate test kit, I may get an ultra low range Hanna checker. If anyone has any tips to provide relief to my corals, please share.
Do you use any coral foods?

AC1211

View Badges
Reaction score

day 1.jpg

day 1 (2).jpg

I just did the same thing.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Don't give up! The first picture is my tank about last November, which was horrible!! The only good thing in that picture is my flasher wrasse! The 2nd picture is now. I would say it took a good deal of patience, Vibrant 10 ml twice a week (90 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump), manual removal as much as possible, which got easier as the GHA algae started dying off, and more and more patience. I also changed my filter socks almost daily because they were getting clogged up like crazy when the die-off started. I also started with brown stringy stuff with bubbles after the GHA died off and temporarily raised my alk to about 8.5. That stuff went away and hasn't come back. I am still dosing Vibrant, but I'm going back to the dose for a clean tank of 10 ml every two weeks.

5.jpg

IMG_2227 resize.jpg

Nroddot

View Badges
Reaction score
Do you use any coral foods?

Red Sea AB+, which I target feed to the corals with a turkey baster about twice a week. I haven't noticed them really respond to it whatsoever and my corals still look unhappy. But I would guess it's doing more good than harm?

Only corals that don't look bad right now are my mushrooms. Everything else, the xenia, GSP, finger leather, and toadstool look really bad right now and barely extend polyps. Getting pretty concerned.

I just did the same thing.
Yeah, I'm really kicking myself. I'd take just about any nuisance algae over dinos. I'm still new to this hobby (only five months in) and have obviously never dealt with dinos before. Hopefully we can both beat them back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Red Sea AB+, which I target feed to the corals with a turkey baster about twice a week. I haven't noticed them really respond to it whatsoever and my corals still look unhappy. But I would guess it's doing more good than harm?

Only corals that don't look bad right now are my mushrooms. Everything else, the xenia, GSP, finger leather, and toadstool look really bad right now and barely extend polyps. Getting pretty concerned.

Yeah, I'm really kicking myself. I'd take just about any nuisance algae over dinos. I'm still new to this hobby (only five months in) and have obviously never dealt with dinos before. Hopefully we can both beat them back.
I think RedSea AB+ is more of an amino acid/nutrient boost than a true food. I would try to get something like Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, or something else similar to that. Even phytoplankton may help.

Nroddot

View Badges
Reaction score
I think RedSea AB+ is more of an amino acid/nutrient boost than a true food. I would try to get something like Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, or something else similar to that. Even phytoplankton may help.
Okay, thank you. I've always been interested in Reef Roids. I think I'll try that.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. I've always been interested in Reef Roids. I think I'll try that.
I use Reed-Roids and have had no algae problems with that. It smells really bad, but the corals seem to like it and the fish go nuts when I mix a little with some tank water and pour it in a high-flow area.

Corals.com

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 234 25.7%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • Every month

Votes: 37 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%