Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner * Discussion Thread

https://www.omegasea.net/

squareriggersailor

View Badges
Reaction score
When did they change the directions? Now it says for a very well maintained tank dose every two weeks, for a dirtier tank, dose once a week. The previous directions of twice a week were obviously creating enough problems to warrant changing the label.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think the instructions were always the same, it was in this thread that the manufacturer suggested 2x a week for tough algae such as bryopsis and turf algae.

Corals.com
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Correct, the instructions have never been changed :)

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Correct, the instructions have never been changed :)
What if I wanted to *KEEP* my macro algae, but only use vibrant so my SPS can upkeep phosphate better? I run high(er) no3 (15-25), but my po4 is a little high right now. But if I wanted it for my coral health + to keep po4 SLIGHTLY in check, and keep my macro algae consuming, would this be possible? Just at a much smaller weekly dose?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
What if I wanted to *KEEP* my macro algae, but only use vibrant so my SPS can upkeep phosphate better? I run high(er) no3 (15-25), but my po4 is a little high right now. But if I wanted it for my coral health + to keep po4 SLIGHTLY in check, and keep my macro algae consuming, would this be possible? Just at a much smaller weekly dose?
When i was dosing once a week my macro algae seemed to be doing fine. The moment i started bi weekly dosing is where it went down hill for the macro.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
When i was dosing once a week my macro algae seemed to be doing fine. The moment i started bi weekly dosing is where it went down hill for the macro.
Cool, how much per g were you dosing? I think i'll start it very light an dgo from there

Nroddot

View Badges
Reaction score
So, after two weeks of dosing Vibrant and periodically adding both Microbacter 7 and Seachem Stability, my dinos have receded by about 95%. I am only seeing a a few scattered bits and strands.

My sand and rock are clean of dinos and the corals are beginning to open back up after being closed for weeks.

I never did a blackout, ran a UV, or did anything different than I usually do. I read about all these long and in-depth regiments that have a bunch of steps to them to combat dinos and I really didn't want to bother with those. Very happy simply dosing Vibrant has yielded good results so far.

But I know not to get complacent. I've read too many stories about people having dinos seemingly beaten and then they return in full force.

Great product. I feel like a lot of the bad reviews are from people dosing it incorrectly (I know overdosing it contributed to my dinos in the first place) or not giving it enough time. It didn't even touch most of the dinos for the first week or so. And then like magic, they started to disappear quite rapidly.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
So, after two weeks of dosing Vibrant and periodically adding both Microbacter 7 and Seachem Stability, my dinos have receded by about 95%. I am only seeing a a few scattered bits and strands.

My sand and rock are clean of dinos and the corals are beginning to open back up after being closed for weeks.

I never did a blackout, ran a UV, or did anything different than I usually do. I read about all these long and in-depth regiments that have a bunch of steps to them to combat dinos and I really didn't want to bother with those. Very happy simply dosing Vibrant has yielded good results so far.

But I know not to get complacent. I've read too many stories about people having dinos seemingly beaten and then they return in full force.

Great product. I feel like a lot of the bad reviews are from people dosing it incorrectly (I know overdosing it contributed to my dinos in the first place) or not giving it enough time. It didn't even touch most of the dinos for the first week or so. And then like magic, they started to disappear quite rapidly.
Almost guranteed your phosphates bottomed out. That's why you got dinos, if you dont get your phosphates up, you'll keep getting them and worse yet your corals will likely suffer pretty bad.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
I follow the recommended dose per gallon according to the bottle.If you reference my previous post you can see the crazy algae I was dealing with. Mad turf algae so I started to do bi weekly dosing
Cool, I think I'll still star twith half the rec dosage and see how that goes. I don't have algae issues. TY for the hlep

Wilson1985

View Badges
Reaction score
So I dosed Vibrant, and I'm now having some cyano issues. I was dosing twice a week but now scaled it back to once a week as per the directions on the bottle. I used chemiclean which took care of most of it, but not all. I don' really want to run another chemiclean dose unless i try some other methods. Has anyone used vibrant in conjunction with KZ cyano clean or does anyone have thoughts on this method?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
So I dosed Vibrant, and I'm now having some cyano issues. I was dosing twice a week but now scaled it back to once a week as per the directions on the bottle. I used chemiclean which took care of most of it, but not all. I don' really want to run another chemiclean dose unless i try some other methods. Has anyone used vibrant in conjunction with KZ cyano clean or does anyone have thoughts on this method?
So first thing is dont panic at the sight of cyano. I wouldnt dose anything to stop it either. To be honest it is part of the process, seems to me most people will go through it, especially with biweekly dosing.

Apparently it is due to the cyano feeding off the dying algae. Its what is feeding the cyano. Once all the algae is eliminated the cyano should recede as well.

To help with the cyano without using chemiclean this is what i did.

• I check my nitrate and phosphate to keep the levels not zeroed out. I dose nopox so i kept my levels around 2ppm and kept my po4 at .05ish. Try not to zero them out because you will get dinos for sure (It happened had to dose my nitrates up). Over time you'll notice your nitrates to increase and i am presuming it is due to algae die off.
  • Use a powerhead every few days in your DT to blow off any of the dying particles off the rocks. Youll be surprised how much crud blows off.
  • Currently 85 days in dosing mainly bi weekly, i've noticed that the product seems to do better with fewer major water changes (I changed 10% weekly).
  • Instead of nuking the water with more chemicals, try physical removal via suction. Just try to suction out the cyano in a small water change.
  • Toothbrush! Take an old toothbrush and scrub away! Scrub the algae and over time youll see more and more lifts off the rock.
Ive been dosing this product for some time and i must say it does work. Slowly if you have stubborn algae, but it does work. Cyano does show its face, but like most people here have said that its part of the process. Try some of the things i did and see if it helps you.

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
That's great progress! How often are you dosing again? I'm curious are you supplementing NO3?
I dose biweekly currently because of the crazy problem i had. I supplemented NO3 maybe for a week or so because i didnt watch my nutrients levels and they bottomed out on me. Lost a couple of zoas and had a small dino bloom. Ive stopped weekly water changes atm and let my nutrients rise to around 10ppm due to the algae die off. I expect my nutrients to return to the normal nopox range of around 2ppm.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

How often do you clean your filter socks?

• Every few days

Votes: 235 25.8%
  • Every weekend

Votes: 144 15.8%
  • Every other week

Votes: 73 8.0%
  • Every month

Votes: 37 4.1%
  • When they look dirty

Votes: 72 7.9%
  • I don't ever clean them

Votes: 11 1.2%