BRS
Galactic Coral Live Sale

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so my tank is 4 months old now and I’ve been running the vibrant maintenance dose since it cycled. It has done an amazing job of keeping my tank algae free and I basically skipped the ugly phase minus a little bit of diatoms. I am now wanting to start up my fuge for nutrient control and pod population. I’m hesitant on stoping my vibrant dosing since my tank has remained so clean, but I also don’t want it to melt away my chaeto. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Parameters
Salinity 35
Nitrate 7
Phosphate .15
Ph 8.1
Awesome--I wish I had done that. I did NOPOX from the jump instead. At the maintenance dose for clean aquariums (1mg per 10 gal, every 2 weeks), the consensus is that fuge macro grows normally.
I need some input iv dosing Vibrant 2 times a week for some hair algea and bubble algea , Im on week 5 and also carbon dosing im at a point where 80% of BA is turning white and gha is 70% gone , Iv also been carbon dosing , Im afraid of starving my nutrients as iv seen many run into cyano should I start to minimize to weekly dosage.Last thing should I expect a nutrient spike when discontinuing vibrant?
First things first: what are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Can't really answer your first question without knowing that--if you're already close to bottoming out, or have bottomed out, you should stop carbon dosing, as it's making it worse. To your second, consensus is that no, you should not expect a nutrient spike when discontinuing, as nutrient removal is not a primary mechanism of Vibrant, like it is with carbon dosing.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
R2R: Please add a new swag badge for successfully skimming through all 325 pages of the Vibrant thread.;Bookworm @UWC : great customer service here, what you've done over the past 4 years on this forum is ridiculous.;Happy @Brew12 : I'm coming to you with all my questions for now on and forever more.:cool:

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Down, but not radically so unless you dose it harder. It is primarily a bacterial product.
hmmm... funny most have zeroed out po4, no3 already bc of algae growth. my sps are already starving. i was thinking it would kill the algae therefore flooding tank with nutrients.

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
hmmm... funny most have zeroed out po4, no3 already bc of algae growth. my sps are already starving. i was thinking it would kill the algae therefore flooding tank with nutrients.
Valid point. Killing algae does release nutrient. I suppose if your bacterial count can't match that new supply, or, if your skimmer cannot skim enough, they could go up.

I stated only my experience -- that nutrients went down -- and my assumption was that the bacteria/skimmer combo kept up. Plus, my algae was not out of hand.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
I definitely appreciate your input! I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect seeing as how I'm just a week and a half in to dosing vibrant twice a week have a pretty healthy GHA outbreak. I also removed a very healthy ball of macro algae and turned off my h380 during this process so that is another thing to put into perspective. Skimmer is humming along I measured phosphates for the first time ever today in a very long time. Only .04 did some massive manual removal trying to get ahead of this problem

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I definitely appreciate your input! I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect seeing as how I'm just a week and a half in to dosing vibrant twice a week have a pretty healthy GHA outbreak. I also removed a very healthy ball of macro algae and turned off my h380 during this process so that is another thing to put into perspective. Skimmer is humming along I measured phosphates for the first time ever today in a very long time. Only .04 did some massive manual removal trying to get ahead of this problem
One key benefit I found with Vibrant is that it makes the GHA easier to remove. It is not as tough. Grazing fish and CUC won't mess with the tough stuff unless starved. But when you are able to pull it out, they WILL go after the softer, younger GHA beneath. I would never think of using Vibrant to eradicate GHA, but merely bring it back to a more edible, manageable stage.

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Worked like a charm on mine. Key is to be patient and let it do its thing. Depends on. What type of algae it seems to "target a specific type" before moving on to the next so what end up happening is that while one kind dies off, the other kinds temporarily explodes due to the die off. This will be especially true if you dose more than the recommended amounts and the die off happens too quickly for your biofilter to handle. My tank look noticeably better and is almost completely algae free (including gha). I even started dropping in seaweed now bc my CUC is starting to starve.

Only thing it didn't fix is byopsis but a single does of reef flux fixed that

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Question, I was doing the weekly recommended dose to dry and help kill some cyano and it appears to have caused my N03 to drop right off. Now a couple of my LPS and my bubble tip anenomes are looking real mad at me. How long after stopping dosing does anyone think I can expect my N03 to rise again and help these corals flourish again?

tank is a 240 with 75 sump. Skimmer, algae scrubber, no filters or socks, GFO in reactor and 14 fish. Half of which are 4-5” or more. And a small clean up crew.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question, I was doing the weekly recommended dose to dry and help kill some cyano and it appears to have caused my N03 to drop right off. Now a couple of my LPS and my bubble tip anenomes are looking real mad at me. How long after stopping dosing does anyone think I can expect my N03 to rise again and help these corals flourish again?

tank is a 240 with 75 sump. Skimmer, algae scrubber, no filters or socks, GFO in reactor and 14 fish. Half of which are 4-5” or more. And a small clean up crew.
Some Loudwolf sodium nitrate would bump it up in about 5 minutes.

Or keep feeding and turn off the scrubber for five days and skim dry.

Keep an eye on PO4. It has a tendency to rise when NO3 is depleted, and then collapse when NO3 is added back. A seesaw effect that some corals do not like.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quick question for the masses, are you temporarily turning off your skimmer for say 12 hours when dosing?
TIA

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't. Haven't noticed it going nuts after if that's what you are wondering. My guess is that if you follow the dosage then it should work slow enough that it doesn't cause a massive die off that suddenly blows up your skimmer

Zoanthids

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Ordered 2 bottles Friday. Really can't wait to try this. Hardest thing for me with a 42" deep tank is blowing crap off my rocks so I am always fighting something. Seems like people are having great results. Would really like to but a gallon at a time though...

Napkintime

View Badges
Reaction score
What is the difference between the saltwater and freshwater formulas? I used saltwater formula in a freshwater tank and all my snails died...

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
What is the difference between the saltwater and freshwater formulas? I used saltwater formula in a freshwater tank and all my snails died...
I believe one is formulated specifically for saltwater and the other is specifically for freshwater. Lol sorry had to...
In all honesty the bacteria designed for saltwater won’t live in fresh and vice versa but I don’t know the actual bacterial formulas.

Jud

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m currently sitting on a bottle of Vibrant I ordered from BRS last week. Have a two year old Nuvo 40 that I’ve been battling some bubble algae and now ulva in.

However, after reading some stories about tank crashes and lost fish + coral, I’m hesitant.

Common consensus seems to be that it’s going to plummet your PO4 and N03, which is likely the causes of any loss, correct?

So to be safe I’m guessing you should run your numbers up a little high before treatment, then monitor closely.

Currently sitting at 0.1 ppm phosphate and nitrate running a little higher than usual at 8 ppm. Thinking I would start with once weekly dose around 3mm for the first four weeks, then gauge.

Anyone have some sound advice or feedback? Hoping to make this as fool-proof as possible. Thanks!

BRS

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 63 11.4%
  • B

Votes: 246 44.5%
  • C

Votes: 179 32.4%
  • D

Votes: 41 7.4%
  • F

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%