BRS

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've actually incorrectly misread and dosed 2 separate tanks @ 10x the recommended amount and there was no casualties that I experienced.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! Today is one week since I dosed Fluconzole. I see a big difference in algae already so that is positive, but I still have some green hair and bubble algae left. I know two weeks is the mark for Fluconzole to see effect, but yesterday I recieved a bottle of Vibrant.
Should I hold of on Vibrant until the Fluconazole has done its thing or can I start my Vibrant treatment along side the Fluc?
I know it takes some time for Vibrant to show results so it shouldnt interfere with the fluc or?
Thanks for any advice!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! Today is one week since I dosed Fluconzole. I see a big difference in algae already so that is positive, but I still have some green hair and bubble algae left. I know two weeks is the mark for Fluconzole to see effect, but yesterday I recieved a bottle of Vibrant.
Should I hold of on Vibrant until the Fluconazole has done its thing or can I start my Vibrant treatment along side the Fluc?
I know it takes some time for Vibrant to show results so it shouldnt interfere with the fluc or?
Thanks for any advice!
I found using them both together to be highly effective on the toughest algae strains.

Budmans

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rather than read all 326 pages on this topic I have a few quick questions.

I have a hairy algae invasion, should I turn off my skimmer when dosing Vibrant?

Should I remove my Chemi-Pure Blue from the sump?

Should I cut back on the number of hours (8) that I have my lights on or shut them off totally as my LFS suggested I turn off the lights for 72 hours?

Thanks to all in advance for their help in resolving this hairy algae issue!

Last edited:

AdamNanoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks to Vibrant my Nano Reef tank got from different kinds of algae to a spotless tank. 2 weeks! I can’t believe how fast this cleaned my tank! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
To answer some of the recent questions, I have used Vibrant a couple times for GHA, bubble algae and turf algae. I dose the minimum recommended dosage and remove what I can manually. I don't let the algae get out of hand before I decide to dose. I have seen the nutrients drop, but not drastically, not enough to bottom out.
I also leave the skimmer running and remove the cheato. I don't have any other filtration methods, except the socks.

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We had been asked to come on this forum and answer a few questions about Vibrant for a few users here in different threads. We thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion thread about Vibrant, how it was created, what is it, how it works, etc. Then there will be a place for people to ask questions, where they will be kept together so people can come back and read then.

I think most, or a lot of people have heard of or have seen Vibrant by now, but have no idea what it is. What is a "liquid Aquarium Cleaner"? What does, "Brightens and Cleans Aquariums in as little as 12 hours mean"? A lot of people instantly think, that's snake oil. No product can do that! As time has gone on and people have seen users actually getting amazing results with Vibrant, those words have slowly faded away. There are always going to be the doubters, but that is ok. Everyone has there way of doing things and we are more then ok with that. Vibrant is not a product that replaces good aquarium husbandry and upkeep, it is a product that works very well along with a well taken aquarium.

So where did Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner originate from?

Vibrant has been available to the public for almost a year now and had been in the works two years prior to that. We teamed up with a group of scientists to actually create something that will rid algae from aquariums. We tried hundreds of different things and different combinations of things before we found something that actually worked liked we wanted it to without harming anything that we keep in our aquariums. This product was solely used by us to make sure our clients aquariums always looked perfect. We build, install and maintain aquariums all over our home state including many aquariums that are in public spaces and are always in the public eye. After the creation of Vibrant, we would go on a service visit, service the aquarium, come back two weeks later and the tank looked just like we had been there the day before. People noticed this, and started asking us about how we keep our aquariums so clean?! Our answer was, we make our own liquid aquarium cleaner. The next question would always be, do you sell it? Which we replied, no, we do not. As more and more people started asking and the demand kept growing we thought, maybe the public would like this product too. So after some legwork, at the beginning of 2016, we started offering Vibrant to the public.

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Dosing Instructions -

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.
For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant two times per week.

There is no need to discontinue the use of any mechanical or biological filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates.

Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant aquarium also :)

What algae strains does Vibrant rid and how fast does it work?

Vibrant is a true beast and we have not yet come across a algae that Vibrant can not beat out. Below I will list a general timeline of how fast Vibrant works on frequent algae strains that cause issues in reef aquariums.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

There are a lot of factors that come into play for how fast it rids a certain algae strain in one persons tank verses another. The cleaner and the better your aquarium is maintained, the faster you are going to see results. It will clean neglected tanks also, it just takes more time as the bacteria population has to grow to consume and outcompete the algae. Generally it is very fast acting and people see very positive results after their first dose, some as soon as a few hours later.

How Does Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner work?

This is the tricky part to explain. There are a few different strains of bacteria that play different roles in ridding the algae. One of the strains, works to convert No3 and Po4 into biomass, which then is easily removed via protein skimming and or water changes. Some of the biomass will also be consumed by live corals. This strain is also very good at going after organic settlement and reducing it significantly. Here is where it gets harder to explain, the function of one of the other bacteria is to actual go in and cling to the algae and consume them turning their waste then into biomass also which is then utilized by the corals or later removed by protein skimming or water changes. The beautiful thing is, this is not like using some crazy algaecide that just leaves a bomb of nutrients in your tank as the algae die leading you on a downward spiral of issue after issue. Once your algae issue is gone, you can stop dosing vibrant or you can simply use it as part of your routine maintenance to keep your tank looking nice and clean all the time.

Vibrant Disclaimer-

Vibrant can be very deceiving. It can make your aquarium look so clean that you will think you can skip your regular routine aquarium maintenance of water changes, filter cleanings, etc. We highly recommend that you do not skip these but that you use Vibrant in conjunction with your normal aquarium routine for a happy, Vibrant aquarium.

How do we use Vibrant?

We use Vibrant in all of our aquariums and all of our clients aquariums. We take very good care of our tanks so generally we follow the dosing schedule of 1ml per 10 gallons every two weeks. We generally start using Vibrant on new aquariums a couple weeks after setup as we find it does not actually mess with the cycling of the aquarium, but it sure does make it look better during it :)

I am sure I have missed a lot of things people would like to know so lets use this as a questions/discussions thread. Hopefully we can get some users to chime in as well with how it has worked for them and how they like it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Owner- Underwater Creations, Inc.
www.uwcmn.com

Will vibrant do anything to digitate hydroids? Also, are digitate hydroids an issue if I see a couple in my 45 gallon?

AS

s1ngle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found using them both together to be highly effective on the toughest algae strains.

Yeah, same here.

I was battling for weeks/months with (still undiagnosed strain):

I dozed fluconazole, after 2 weeks still no change (a bit of colour change in few places).
I added Vibrant and after 6h I got a pool in the living room as the dying algae blocked my outflow :eek: :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Posting this isn’t to be mean, it’s for balancing science.

any form of reef doser has bad potential, it deserves a fair read. Everyone knows I like peroxide and there’s no harm in linking peroxide kill threads as counter balances in our work threads just the same

-an eight page example of peroxide kills doesn’t exist though. It’s apparently much safer? Irony.

double flipside: Vibrant is the only additive Ive ever seen that can earn eight pages of valonia cures, highest reported % in reefing in my opinion.

Last edited:

unklez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My entire rockscape is green\black from algae but no strains sticking out of the rock if you get what I mean? Almost like the rock is just a green color and it's not green coralline. Would vibrant clean my rocks?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
If there is one thing Im sure of its this: pre cleaning any system of its algae and making the tank totally clean, and then using vibrant as a preventative, is ideal.

in the reverse (how everyone applies it) you get the risks above due to chemical souping. there's no where for the massive dead mass to go when killed internally, starting with no algae that you caused in cleaning, sandbed too, will be better sustain than Vibrant alone, on top of sandbed waste, to rot a bunch of mixed invasions in the water.

deep cleaned systems still get growback, its part of reefing. but in the low mass condition you can use less Vibrant as well. pre cleaning is ideal in every measurable way compared to no work, take a risk

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd weekly dose of Vibrant to deal with bubble algae. I have read 130 pages of this theead :)

A couple of questions:

- Do the algae under stronger light go first? Continuing to dose, will the algae growing in very low light go too?

- I usually dose phyto daily. Since ai began dosing Vibrant I stopped dosing phyto only on the night before and after dosing Vibrant. Should I stop dosing phyto all together?

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
just looking to see if I'm tackling this right. I'm on week 4 using Vibrant first 2 weeks corals were looking great the turf algae that has popped up has loosened an I had GHA popping up hard for the first 2 weeks now its subsiding this week into the fourth

Now into week 3 the corals were looking like crap after checking on my ULR Phosphate Checker I was running 0 aswell as nitrates. so for the last week I have been feeding 2 times a day plus every other day Red Sea Pro AB an have been holding off an on with very small readings 7 day average was 0 / .012 / .018 / 0 / .037 i had snail die / .016 / .012 an holding there for the last few days.

I get no algae on my glass none I've had 2 snails I have had for over 4 years starve very sad my sand conch is climbing the rocks aswell I thought i had some Julien's algae strips but I had to order some.

So my thought are rather than go slowly as I'm at week 4 I would like to do 2 dose's aweek drop my polyfilter or at least the majority of the sheet I put the whole thing in as it takes longer to use an finally cut water changes to 30% down from 50% aweek hoping to up my nutrients as I'm not looking to invite dino's

this is for a 17g
2 juvi clowns reef octopus skimmer and the sheet of polyfilter for filtration
I should note the corals have all bounced back they were quite starved as I see my LPS fatten back up

Last edited:

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My tuxedo urchin has been acting very strange, it fell on sand and it's moving a lot.

Alk consumption halts when I dose Vibrant and slowly resumes over the hext days.

My nutrients don't seem to be affected though.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 63 11.4%
  • B

Votes: 246 44.4%
  • C

Votes: 180 32.5%
  • D

Votes: 41 7.4%
  • F

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%