BRS

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
There are 3 different formulas of vibrant... fresh water.... Saltwater and one for saltwater reef tanks. is everyone getting the right formulas?.

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi

I am dosing 3rd week Vibrant and I have noticed that in the 50 Gallon tank with 4 fishes and 10+ inverts , the phosphate is 0 while a few days ago it was still between 0.04,0.06,0.1

The Corals seem to be much more closed ( including SPS and LPS ). The Alk is rising , so I have to reduce the two parts dosing.

I am feeding twice a day frozen food. Should I feed more and that's the only thing I should change? I don't feel the corals are so bad dying, just want to see if I should do anything differently.
Let the corals tell you what they like and don't like. Without phosphate, they are shutting down. Vibrant has some bacteria in it that are consuming/processing your PO4 faster than you are introducing it. For a while, your substrate and rock will continue to release some PO4 back into the depleted water. Once that is gone you are heading for trouble real quick with both the corals and the biome. When the biome starts to starve, the edge competitors will dominate and I will see you over in the big dinoflagellate thread.

How bad is your GHA and how old is your system? And good on you for tracking your PO4. Feed more and back off on the bacteria.

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want to keep dosing vibrant or not.. I think it helped but I think I had DINOs when I had 0 pho 0 nitrate and I beat that by increase my nitrate and raising tank temp to 82f.. now I have nitrate ~ 10 ppm and 0.1 pho and I believe red cyano now.. its red and doesn't leave the sandbed at night like dinos do.. any ideas of next steps? I have been doing weekly water changes.

My tank is about 3 months old.
20210226_203353.jpg
20210226_203335.jpg
20210226_203313.jpg
This is a classic pattern; cyano follows after dinos. It is one of the competitors to dinos that died off when at 0/0 and is the first to resurge.

It can take a while to be outcompeted by film algae and bacterial film. It is a natural process that (IMO) should not be interrupted with Chemiclean. Go with manual removal and maybe increase flow a little. Vacuum sand every week or two.

expo703

View Badges
Reaction score
This is a classic pattern; cyano follows after dinos. It is one of the competitors to dinos that died off when at 0/0 and is the first to resurge.

It can take a while to be outcompeted by film algae and bacterial film. It is a natural process that (IMO) should not be interrupted with Chemiclean. Go with manual removal and maybe increase flow a little. Vacuum sand every week or two.
Should I stop dosing Vibrant all together then? I don't want to keep feeding cyano so debating of stop dosing all together. I don't have must algae that isn't manageable right now and just added some cheato to my fuge.

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Should I stop dosing Vibrant all together then? I don't want to keep feeding cyano so debating of stop dosing all together. I don't have must algae that isn't manageable right now and just added some cheato to my fuge.
Vibrant is great for large, mature systems that are getting a bit overrun with GHA. It has it's place IMO but never in a new system.

Keep nutrients in a similar range and let the tank do its thing.

AS

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anybody dosed at half dose and actually had results. I have a little bubble algae. Tank is pretty dam clean other than that. Tons of acros. I'm terrified to kill them I've read bad things about killing or completely paling them out. I'm wondering if it's beat to dose small once a week like instead of 10ml like 5ml weekly. In my 115g roughly total volume.

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anybody dosed at half dose and actually had results. I have a little bubble algae. Tank is pretty dam clean other than that. Tons of acros. I'm terrified to kill them I've read bad things about killing or completely paling them out. I'm wondering if it's beat to dose small once a week like instead of 10ml like 5ml weekly. In my 115g roughly total volume.
I read some of those stories and it has kinda kept me away from Vibrant and more toward emeralds.

Could it be though that Vibrant itself is not the direct cause of acro death, but instead it chews through nitrate and folks aren't dosing it back allowing the corals to starve out?

I have some bubble in my display too. Once a month or so, I attach a pointy stick to the end of a siphon hose and suck them into a sock in the sump. Between that and that emeralds I seem able to manage them OK.

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Dosed 1ml In my ca 10g temp coral holding tank. Only some LPS, inverts and 1 halloween urchin.
After the dose the urchin IMMEDIATLEY started racing through the tank. Going up and then along the waterline as if to escape the stuff...:oops:

Here's to hoping it just tastes/smells/etc terrible to the little urchin because it looks like blind panic escapism to me...

Btw dosed it because of some funky stalk/sprite algae
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-with-this-algae.781111/
I have yet to identify.

isildur

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you very much for answering peoples questions when I am not around. it is Very much appreciated :)

Cyano is definitely not a normal occurrence when using vibrant. I'd say it happens in 1 out of every 100 tanks. It just seems like it as the only people that speak out are the ones who do get cyano. It makes me question a few things, Where does the ORP generally run at on these tanks and what do these tanks have for clean up crews? Sandsifting stars and banded trochus snails will keep your rocks and sand looking very good.

Totally fine to use with NOPOX :)

I'm not even sure how to answer back to you without you getting mad. Whatever is going on with your tank is not normal. Vibrant should not affect your animals at all, so something is not right. It works the same is small and large tanks, size of the aquarium does not matter. The corals and invert that you listed that have died are all very common animals in tanks and no one else is stating that theirs are dieing. Of course we all want our animals to thrive. I would just like to know what has happened in your tank specifically and all I can think of is your first post in this thread as to how you were dosing the Vibrant, which to me made me think that you were adding way too much which could absolutely cause some issues as your nutrients would get consumed very fast.

Yes, a lot of users run GFO with Vibrant. Maybe try moving the monti lower in the tank for now.

No, just different species take different amounts of time to be wiped out.

Really sorry to hear that. Anyway to get a picture of the clear slime as I am interested to see what this is? For the cyano, I would bump up you clear up crew.

Its really hard to say as both of these algaes are pretty persistent. Strain to strain they are all quite different. Some will look like they are weakening before they die and some will look healthy and look to be thriving and then, bam, one day you'll notice some changes and then they will go down quick.
In my aquarium after 24 h ORP rise from 190 to 300

ScottB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In my aquarium after 24 h ORP rise from 190 to 300
I am not sure whether or not some ORP probes require calibration -- mine does not -- but a reading of 190 is extremely low in my experience. Pretty sure the default alarm setting for my ORP probe (via APEX) is 250 and 450.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have been dosing 1ml per10 gallons twice a week for about three months and still not seeing a change in my GHA. In fact it seems to be increasing.

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We had been asked to come on this forum and answer a few questions about Vibrant for a few users here in different threads. We thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion thread about Vibrant, how it was created, what is it, how it works, etc. Then there will be a place for people to ask questions, where they will be kept together so people can come back and read then.

I think most, or a lot of people have heard of or have seen Vibrant by now, but have no idea what it is. What is a "liquid Aquarium Cleaner"? What does, "Brightens and Cleans Aquariums in as little as 12 hours mean"? A lot of people instantly think, that's snake oil. No product can do that! As time has gone on and people have seen users actually getting amazing results with Vibrant, those words have slowly faded away. There are always going to be the doubters, but that is ok. Everyone has there way of doing things and we are more then ok with that. Vibrant is not a product that replaces good aquarium husbandry and upkeep, it is a product that works very well along with a well taken aquarium.

So where did Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner originate from?

Vibrant has been available to the public for almost a year now and had been in the works two years prior to that. We teamed up with a group of scientists to actually create something that will rid algae from aquariums. We tried hundreds of different things and different combinations of things before we found something that actually worked liked we wanted it to without harming anything that we keep in our aquariums. This product was solely used by us to make sure our clients aquariums always looked perfect. We build, install and maintain aquariums all over our home state including many aquariums that are in public spaces and are always in the public eye. After the creation of Vibrant, we would go on a service visit, service the aquarium, come back two weeks later and the tank looked just like we had been there the day before. People noticed this, and started asking us about how we keep our aquariums so clean?! Our answer was, we make our own liquid aquarium cleaner. The next question would always be, do you sell it? Which we replied, no, we do not. As more and more people started asking and the demand kept growing we thought, maybe the public would like this product too. So after some legwork, at the beginning of 2016, we started offering Vibrant to the public.

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar - This is used as the preservative
3.5% Other Ingredients (RO/DI Water)

Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner Dosing Instructions -

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.
For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant two times per week.

There is no need to discontinue the use of any mechanical or biological filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates.

Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant aquarium also :)

What algae strains does Vibrant rid and how fast does it work?

Vibrant is a true beast and we have not yet come across a algae that Vibrant can not beat out. Below I will list a general timeline of how fast Vibrant works on frequent algae strains that cause issues in reef aquariums.

Cloudy/hazy Water- 1 dose
Diatoms - 1-2 doses
Cyanobacteria - (Yes, it will outcompete another bacteria) 1-5 doses
Dinoflagellates - 2-5 doses
Bubble algae - 3-8 doses
Hair Algae - 3-5 doses (depending on species of hair and how bad the infestation is)
Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

There are a lot of factors that come into play for how fast it rids a certain algae strain in one persons tank verses another. The cleaner and the better your aquarium is maintained, the faster you are going to see results. It will clean neglected tanks also, it just takes more time as the bacteria population has to grow to consume and outcompete the algae. Generally it is very fast acting and people see very positive results after their first dose, some as soon as a few hours later.

How Does Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner work?

This is the tricky part to explain. There are a few different strains of bacteria that play different roles in ridding the algae. One of the strains, works to convert No3 and Po4 into biomass, which then is easily removed via protein skimming and or water changes. Some of the biomass will also be consumed by live corals. This strain is also very good at going after organic settlement and reducing it significantly. Here is where it gets harder to explain, the function of one of the other bacteria is to actual go in and cling to the algae and consume them turning their waste then into biomass also which is then utilized by the corals or later removed by protein skimming or water changes. The beautiful thing is, this is not like using some crazy algaecide that just leaves a bomb of nutrients in your tank as the algae die leading you on a downward spiral of issue after issue. Once your algae issue is gone, you can stop dosing vibrant or you can simply use it as part of your routine maintenance to keep your tank looking nice and clean all the time.

Vibrant Disclaimer-

Vibrant can be very deceiving. It can make your aquarium look so clean that you will think you can skip your regular routine aquarium maintenance of water changes, filter cleanings, etc. We highly recommend that you do not skip these but that you use Vibrant in conjunction with your normal aquarium routine for a happy, Vibrant aquarium.

How do we use Vibrant?

We use Vibrant in all of our aquariums and all of our clients aquariums. We take very good care of our tanks so generally we follow the dosing schedule of 1ml per 10 gallons every two weeks. We generally start using Vibrant on new aquariums a couple weeks after setup as we find it does not actually mess with the cycling of the aquarium, but it sure does make it look better during it :)

I am sure I have missed a lot of things people would like to know so lets use this as a questions/discussions thread. Hopefully we can get some users to chime in as well with how it has worked for them and how they like it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Owner- Underwater Creations, Inc.
www.uwcmn.com

LOVE your product!!!!!!!

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
what about skimmers, filter socks, and uv lights? do we take any of them off line. also I have a 150 gal tank and do a 40 water change every week. do I keep doing the weekly water change and add the 15ml every week AFTER the water the change?

Galactic Coral Live Sale

cives

View Badges
Reaction score
Why isn't there a version that doesn't have the strain(s) intended to consume nitrate and phosphate? I feel that there's a lot of people (including myself) that don't want to constantly be fighting zeroed out levels when using Vibrant.

Last edited:

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed dosing every two weeks will still kill bubble algae.. my tank is spotless like no algae. But a tiny cluster of bubble that I remove and it comes back. I been dosing weekly for about 5 weeks now. And noticed two acros are dying. One at the middle and branch and one at base so I cut those to save a frag. Nothing has changed except vibrant and only reason I'm dosing is for bubble algae.

Po4 is .1 and no3 is 10. So nothing crazy. It's around what I like to keep. And alk 7.3-7.6.

I'm wondering if this vibrant is the cause. Every two weeks may be easier on them. But not sure if that will still stop the bubble algae

salty_chimp

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been dosing vibrant for about 3 months... the tank im dosing is a 10 gallon... i am dosing 2 ml's every 5 days.... it has not touched my red carpet algae nor my green hair algae.... mexican turbos to the rescue

OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wonder if I go to every 2 weeks. If it's best to do all dose every 2 weeks or half dose weekly which will be the same amount in total. Hopefully wait for @UWC

Dosing every two weeks will still rid your bubble, just a bit slower, which is totally fine. Stick with the full dose every two weeks :)

BRS

If Reefing was a school what letter grade do you think you would be making?

• A

Votes: 63 11.3%
  • B

Votes: 249 44.5%
  • C

Votes: 183 32.7%
  • D

Votes: 41 7.3%
  • F

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%