BRS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Vibrant will 100% clear his BA, ask me how I know......Better yet, go back and read some of the 333 pages in this thread. And FYI fluconazole does not work on BA, GHA and bryopsis, sure, but not bubble algae. It's you that needs to learn what medicine works for what.

Only thing I had an issue with if you actually read my post, was you saying his water was too "dirty" with .03 phosphates. The only thing I had an issue with in your post.

You do not keep SPS, again your words not mine. Want me to go quote it for you? Your advice of driving that number further down will not only starve his corals, but more then likely cause a dino outbreak.

Peanut gallery, still name calling? Are we like 15 years old here? I know that ain't true cause you've had tanks for decades.

But I can see your way of doing things is the only way it works, so I'll bow out now and let you dispense the advice since your the "guru". LOL

Reef Chasers Aquaculture

homer1475

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Ok blocked now. I've had enough of you and your nonsense.

I have over 20 years experience. IMO

And I'll stand corrected, never knew fluc worked on BA, knew it worked on bryopsis and GHA, but never knew it worked on BA. Never touched the BA in my tank when I dosed it for bryopsis. Vibrant was the only thing that actually worked for BA in my tank.

homer1475

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Test mean nothing, the tank tells you what it needs. If you have algae issues you have gone to far. All you have done is criticized me, and YOU have done nothing to help the guy asking for help.
ok more nonsense. If tests mean nothing, then why do we test? this is actually getting laughable now.

and FYI, I am helping the poster by calling out your BS posts.

Top Shelf Aquatics

homer1475

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0

homer1475

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Ok I can't let this go on any further, I'm out of here.

You can listen to this nonsense, or just read the the thread and form your own opinion.

You obviously have no clue and anyone with a differing opinion is just plain wrong. Maybe try reading some posts instead of just spouting off your own nonsense that make no sense to no one other then yourself.

And now on the ignore list as I can't stand reading your nonsense anymore.

ceaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@UWC Hi, I'm hoping you can help shed light on an issue. I've been using Vibrant to battle bubble algae for about 6 weeks or so. SPS tank, mostly acros and some montis. I typically dose nitrate and phosphate already and have continued to do so, levels have largely remained stable, maybe increased a tad. However, some corals are going pale and the montis appear to be most affected. Any idea why this might happen? Nitrate has remained 5-10 ppm, phosphate 0.03-0.05 ppm. Does vibrant interact with organic vs inorganic sources of nitrate and phosphate in different ways that could lead to this, even while test numbers are fine?

As a separate question, I have historically run this tank with no skimmer and very few water changes. I dose everything and had a very good ICP test recently. Your advice is to continue our regular export/husbandry, but is there a limit to that? Would someone in my situation have to do some things differently than my "usual" while using Vibrant based on how it works? Could this somehow be related to the issue above?

Thanks in advance!!
I do appreciate you folks offering your input and having my tank's best interests in mind. I am still hoping that @UWC can offer their input as well, since they are the Vibrant expert and my situation is perhaps a little different than most...
Cheers!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I do appreciate you folks offering your input and having my tank's best interests in mind. I am still hoping that @UWC can offer their input as well, since they are the Vibrant expert and my situation is perhaps a little different than most...
Cheers!

Hey, how frequently are you dosing?

sixline

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@UWC (and others)

I know vibrant can be hit or miss with turf algae, but I has some really tough stuff growing in my (otherwise perfect) tank and decided to give Vibrant a try. The algae could easily be removed my the clump, but the roots could not be removed from the rock, and the rooted areas were spreading, infringing upon my precious corals.

Back in late May of this year, I started dosing Vibrant once a week using the recommended dose for a dirty aquarium. I was doing 1 ml per 10g of system volume once a week. I didn't notice much of a change in any of the tank inhabitants.

In late June, I doubled the frequency. At this point I was doing the dirty aquarium dose of 2ml per 10g of system volume twice a week. I've continued this schedule since late June.

Current situation: The turf algae seems to be struggling a bit. It's definitely not spreading anymore, and perhaps (probably) even starting to recede a bit. A new outbreak of green film algae started about a month and a half ago. It is ugly, but not interfering much with the corals. It can be blown off with a turkey baster, but reappears quickly.

I think I recall reading elsewhere in this leviathan of a thread that during the treatment process sometimes more complex types of algae are replaced by simpler forms.

Is that likely the case here?
I'm considering reducing the Vibrant dose again to once a week at some point, but do not want the turf algae to get the wrong message.

Hypnotoad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I used some of this stuff lately to kill some hair/turf algae and it worked almost frighteningly well in like 2 weeks.

There are several threads expressing skepticism about the manufacturer’s claims that the main mechanism is bacterial.

people have looked at this stuff under a microscope and not seen any bacteria, and others claim to have done lab analysis that confirm it’s an algaecide.

I guess I’m one of the skeptics as well, as I can’t really conceive of a bacteria that does nothing except make algae disappear.

Either way, it worked for me with no ill effects, but it’s weird to me that posters here and big name youtubers/social media people keep taking it at face value that this is a bacterial product when there seems to be a lot of contradictory evidence.

Yazreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm on my third dose and not seeing any changes really. I have some spotty turf algae and few hair algae here and there nothing crazy.

All Vibrant killed is my Chaeto!! It absolutely melted it to the core.

Not really impressed with it tackling the algae that should go after instead of killing the beneficial algae!

REEFTIDE

Yazreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Will this stuff work again dino's?
I don't even know if it would kill anything but chaeto. Tried it for few weeks and instead of it managing the algae it grew some more turf algae out of no where. Now you might say maybe it bottomed out my NO3 and Po4 but that definitely was not the case! I kept my PO4 at 0.04 and NO3 6ppm via dosing them and making sure I don't bottom out to 0.

So frustrating that a product claims it works when it doesn't.

Maybe a bad bottle?? I don't know but I do know that it killed chaeto so that must have something to do with it since no other variables took place.

LIReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This may have been talked about here but a lot of pages to go through.

Can this be dosed using an auto doser? Spread out the weekly dose and dose from a reservoir or does vibrant have to be stored in their sealed bottle before dosing? I hope this made sense.

Ed

ScottB

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Will this stuff work again dino's?
You can try, but I would not recommend it for that. In my use, it has lowered nutrients which is often the source of the outbreak. I do find it effective against chrysophytes which often present like dinos. You need a microscope to confirm the difference.

BRS

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 175 24.2%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 374 51.7%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 53 7.3%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%