Vibrant Question

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started vibrant for bubble alge outbreak. Into my 4th dose. Is it common for Vibrant to cause alge growth on glass within a day or less?? After 6 hours or so of cleaning I can see a coating again. Did not clean glass but 1 or 2 times a week prior. Nitrates are between 1-2 and phosphates remain at .02.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you checking you Phosphates and Nitrates with?

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna low phos and salifert nitrate. Prior nitrate was 2.5-5 and phos .03

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about ready to give up on vibrant. I see lots of great reviews but it’s making my tank worse overall. My water column is now cloudy and my glass is covered in alge(or something) within an hour of scraping it off. No change to the bubble alge. Now getting some brown alge growing on my skimmer box and gyre pumps. At minimum most people say it make the water very clear and eliminated the need to clean their glass as much. I’m at a loss.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using it also, only dosed twice, might be a little cloudy at first, a little more on the glass than normal, remember that it somehow kills algae so it’s putting nutrients in the water column, Red Sea nitrate kit is much better for low range tests, hard to tell the difference with saliford at low levels, nothing works that fast, I’m only doing once a week, I’m giving it a few more weeks before I can really see if bubbles are no more!

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I also have a NYOS nitrate test kit. Also shows 1 max for nitrate. I’m going on 3 weeks, twice a week dose. I did think about maybe some bubble alge is dying cause the water column to dirty but can’t find any posts confirming that at all. Most say within 1 or 2 doses the water is clearer and glass cleaner. I’ll keep trying for a couple more weeks. So far no change to the bubble alge. After that I guess I’ll try an army of emeralds.

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid to dose more than once a week, since it’s bacteria and I’m dosing nopox, I’ve had an explosion of slimey stringy Bactria stuff in my sump and a **** load in my overflow , I posted about it, nobody gave me any answers then I checked the forums and about three more threads about the same stuff recently, hope mine and urs get better!

OP
OP
rob safron

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I dose Vinegar but cut that amount in half as my nitrates are bottoming out. I may go out to week dose also to see if things clear up. Not very hopeful that’s it’s going to take care of the bubble.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back