Vibrant Saltwater vs. Vibrant Reef

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone know what the difference is between the Saltwater and Reef versions of Vibrant. I have a nano reef tank, but the Saltwater version is more easily accessible to me.

I know it has it's drawbacks, but I have some stubborn algae on my sinularia that is difficult to get off without harming the coral.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
J

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Reef is if you have coral.
Saltwater is for FOWLR or similar systems.
Yeah, I did think as much with the product types, was just curious if anyone knew what the differnce is with the actual product. Like, can you use the Saltwater version in a reef tank? If you do does it melt corals or something?

Jeffcb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, I did think as much with the product types, was just curious if anyone knew what the differnce is with the actual product. Like, can you use the Saltwater version in a reef tank? If you do does it melt corals or something?
Good question. Anyone know? LFS sold me Saltwater for my Reef Tank.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
I found a thread where a few people said it was essentially the same except that the concentration of bacteria in saltwater was a bit more. I was reading the vibrant thread today and the makers suggest starting at low dose and slowly upping it.

Lazys Coral House

MattB69

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes you can use either. The saltwater version is slightly more concentrated according to the mfg. I started with the reef version and then went to the saltwater because it was just easier to get on Amazon. Just watch your nitrates and phosphates as you go. Don't let them bottom out or you will have worse issues.

How important is sand sifting or sand stirring livestock to your reef tank?

• Very important

Votes: 223 46.8%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • Not important

Votes: 59 12.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 43 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.5%
Battlecorals