OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I'm looking at with the exception of some major work or removal. Hope everything is going well with you and your family and good to see you again.

If by chance that is a removal sorry to see as I know it brought you some joy.
Not a removal, just a much needed clean up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using the Hanna HR nitrate checker?

I am. It works well enough and easy to use. I use it along with the Hanna phosphate and Alk kit(s). I get everything setup with water samples, packets opened, and ready to go. Start with the Nitrate since it takes 7 minutes to count down then the rest. By the time I'm finished with phosphate and alk all timers are done. ALk of course is right away. Phosphate is 3 minutes.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody using the Hanna HR nitrate checker?
Jupp - I have used the HR checker for nearly a year and switch into the Hanna Marine Master a week ago. I have compared it with the more work intense low checker.

Pros HR checker

Its easy to handle.
Range between 0-75 ppm
It gives a stable and reasonable reading

Cons HR checker
Accuracy around ±2 ppm. Reasonable in higher concentrations 48 or 50 ppm does not matter. More unsafe in lower readings - its a difference between 2 and 4/0.

Summary: It is a very good choice even for concentrations below 5 ppm if you looking for trends more than a numbers. If you read 5.3 ppm - you know that you are in that county at least

Pros LR checker
It gives a good result below 5 ppm.

Cons LR checker
It is a complicate process
IMO its worthless above 5 ppm. It is impossible to do a good dilution without affecting the final result - IMO

In the end - I stop using the LR checker and only use the HR for monitoring. With the Hanna Marine Master - I have only used the HR method

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jupp - I have used the HR checker for nearly a year and switch into the Hanna Marine Master a week ago. I have compared it with the more work intense low checker.

Pros HR checker

Its easy to handle.
Range between 0-75 ppm

Cons HR checker
Accuracy around ±2 ppm. Reasonable in higher concentrations 48 or 50 ppm does not matter. More unsafe in lower readings - its a difference between 2 and 4/0.

Summary: It is a very good choice even for concentrations below 5 ppm if you looking for trends more than a numbers. If you read 5.3 ppm - you know that you are in that county at least

Pros LR checker
It gives a good result below 5 ppm.

Cons LR checker
It is a complicate process
IMO its worthless above 5 ppm. It is impossible to do a good dilution without affecting the final result - IMO

In the end - I stop using the LR checker and only use the HR for monitoring. Eith the Hanna Marine Master - I have only used the HR method

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you Lasse for the very thorough response. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.
I am looking at a number between 5-10 with Salifert.
Not looking for absolute certainty. But I love my other Hann checkers compared to the color reading testing. Except for the mad scientist feel. I love that.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. It works well enough and easy to use. I use it along with the Hanna phosphate and Alk kit(s). I get everything setup with water samples, packets opened, and ready to go. Start with the Nitrate since it takes 7 minutes to count down then the rest. By the time I'm finished with phosphate and alk all timers are done. ALk of course is right away. Phosphate is 3 minutes.
Thank you for the input. I do find it very helpful!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how about picture of our weird and fun pet axolotl, Toothless. Some of you may remember her. In 2019 a speaker from MACNA helped me treat her by looking at my microscope pictures from the mucous on her gills. She is doing well. She is 8 years old.

IMG_1461.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back