Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having fought neomeris I started my tank over 2 times because of it the first time I bleached the old rock for a month and it still came back it bores into the rock and will live the only succesfull thing is to get new rock it took over my whole tank it was horrible

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having fought neomeris I started my tank over 2 times because of it the first time I bleached the old rock for a month and it still came back it bores into the rock and will live the only succesfull thing is to get new rock it took over my whole tank it was horrible
Thank you for sharing your experience. I did not see your comments until this morning. Sorry. It was perfect timing as I was coming here to post about the neomeris. It is sprouting again on one of the rocks I placed in the 40B. I also suspect I am dealing with dino. Although I have not examined anything thru a microscope all the symptoms are there. For some reason I really want to save the rock I had from my aquarium, but my husband wants me to just throw it all away

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am dealing with a dead BTA. The BTA sisters have not been happy in the 40B and have been roving. I found several and pulled them out, sad...and placed two in my BTA holding "tupperware" . I think the corals are sliming up pretty bad. And the tank smells yucky, not not a clean ocean smell. ugh.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this issue is probably not dinos. I just got down to basics and did some water testing. I got to use my new birthday gifts...Woot!Woot! Hanna phosphorous URL checker, and Hanna DKH checker. It was super cool. The science geek in me just loves that kinda stuff.
Ammonia 0
dkh 6.4
phosphorous greater than 200ppb!!!
nitrate 10
pH 7.8 maybe 8 the colors were pretty close...
Wow, no wonder everybody in the tank is cranky. So I ran to my favorite LFS and got some filter floss, and a chemi pure. I placed some GFO, Seachem Matrix, Chemi-Pure in the HOB filter cartridges. I also dosed some Seachem Builder. And I am going to do a water change tonight. I have never had detectable Nitrate or phosphate in any of my DT. So this is new. I guess I owe that to the DSB I also seem to have, I guess.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also traded a rock out for a rock I have had soaking in the basement.
I decided to discard all my old rock. I just don't think it is worth the risk of the neo coming back. I will just take my luck with all new rock.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this issue is probably not dinos. I just got down to basics and did some water testing. I got to use my new birthday gifts...Woot!Woot! Hanna phosphorous URL checker, and Hanna DKH checker. It was super cool. The science geek in me just loves that kinda stuff.
Ammonia 0
dkh 6.4
phosphorous greater than 200ppb!!!
nitrate 10
pH 7.8 maybe 8 the colors were pretty close...
Wow, no wonder everybody in the tank is cranky. So I ran to my favorite LFS and got some filter floss, and a chemi pure. I placed some GFO, Seachem Matrix, Chemi-Pure in the HOB filter cartridges. I also dosed some Seachem Builder. And I am going to do a water change tonight. I have never had detectable Nitrate or phosphate in any of my DT. So this is new. I guess I owe that to the DSB I also seem to have, I guess.
The tank looks better already. I will post pictures soon.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2788.JPG
This is my oldest coral. He has been very unhappy in the 40B. I discovered the biggest problem was dinos. I threw away everything but this coral which was the second coral I added to my tank many years ago. After a few peroxide treatments, a couple water changes, and new media in the filter, being moved to the other side of the tank, he has decided to come out again. I hope he keeps improving.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread my last several posts...I sound like a crazy person. I think this tank take down and rebuild might just make me crazy.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of getting my new LR from TBS but I have serious concerns about the hitchhikers. A 30 inch tall tank makes putting rock in and out of the tank a nightmare and in my experience traps suck. So I have been considering putting the LR in my 40B to observe it for bad critters. much like a QT process. What problems can you forsee that I am overlooking?

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sanded the whole thing, in a weekend. Did it once with a DA sander many steps, and a polisher then started over again the next day by hand because he was not happy with the results. 12 levels of sand paper and a polishing with Meguires Plastx.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sanded the whole thing, in a weekend. Did it once with a DA sander many steps, and a polisher then started over again the next day by hand because he was not happy with the results. 12 levels of sand paper and a polishing with Meguires Plastx.
Looks like he's a keeper, lol! Tank looks great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back