Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

U

User1

View Badges
You know, I am just not good at taking pictures of my aquarium. But I am loving how it looks right now.

They look fine to me. Tank looks great. Really awesome. Hope all is well with family.

On the aiptasia front it is always a difficult nut to crack and one side is going to have to yield to the other. Sort of like that squirrel vs. woodpecker article yesterday. Both fought over the nut and finally the squirrel said he is over it and left. At least that is how I feel. I've tried to fight it and gave up. It is an acceptable part of the hobby for me. I've tried peppermint shrimp but I do not like their opportunistic feeding habits and find they steal food from some LPS corals. I tried to manually contain by kalk paste - it works, but I"m lazy. I placed in a ORA captive raised matted filefish and it works but I still see some in the deeper nooks of the pukani rock. It also eats my zoa's and recently destroyed a new frogspawn frag. So while it is in there it may be on the way out. I also have a copperband butterfly but not sure yet if he or she decided to assist in clean up or just looking pretty :)

So TL; DR on aiptasia - I've accepted it and use fish to counter it while accepting their respected collateral damage to corals :)

Keep up the great work!

For reference: Not my photo - credit is on bottom of image:
1599149476885.png

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look fine to me. Tank looks great. Really awesome. Hope all is well with family.

On the aiptasia front it is always a difficult nut to crack and one side is going to have to yield to the other. Sort of like that squirrel vs. woodpecker article yesterday. Both fought over the nut and finally the squirrel said he is over it and left. At least that is how I feel. I've tried to fight it and gave up. It is an acceptable part of the hobby for me. I've tried peppermint shrimp but I do not like their opportunistic feeding habits and find they steal food from some LPS corals. I tried to manually contain by kalk paste - it works, but I"m lazy. I placed in a ORA captive raised matted filefish and it works but I still see some in the deeper nooks of the pukani rock. It also eats my zoa's and recently destroyed a new frogspawn frag. So while it is in there it may be on the way out. I also have a copperband butterfly but not sure yet if he or she decided to assist in clean up or just looking pretty :)

So TL; DR on aiptasia - I've accepted it and use fish to counter it while accepting their respected collateral damage to corals :)

Keep up the great work!

For reference: Not my photo - credit is on bottom of image:
1599149476885.png
So true! I think kalk can work if you get it just so. More often than not it spreads them. Putty works too. I had peppermint shrimp a long time ago. And they are thieves for sure.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I am just not good at taking pictures of my aquarium. But I am loving how it looks right now.
Pfft Any pic of an aquarium us a good pic ! We love seeing other folks stuff! Plus if you like doing it and are happy it don’t matter. I’m not much of a pic guy but friends with same phone have given me tips and it’s been fun practicing. My wife loves staring thru the phone camera now trying to catch the speed demon fish now. Do what ya enjoy and post em all cause we love seeing em all
Spam courtesy my wife
8F1AAE26-C2CC-429B-896B-A7B963682411.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfft Any pic of an aquarium us a good pic ! We love seeing other folks stuff! Plus if you like doing it and are happy it don’t matter. I’m not much of a pic guy but friends with same phone have given me tips and it’s been fun practicing. My wife loves staring thru the phone camera now trying to catch the speed demon fish now. Do what ya enjoy and post em all cause we love seeing em all
Spam courtesy my wife
8F1AAE26-C2CC-429B-896B-A7B963682411.jpeg
Love these wrasses!

U

User1

View Badges
We ant a mandarin and it just occurred to me the scarlet pinstripe wrasse will likely harm it.

I do not know how aggressive they are but the one concern I would have would be that they both forage for the same food. So the first question I would ask myself if I was in your place would be does my system have enough natural food for both. If I thought so and the pods reproduce fast enough to stay ahead of the curve then I'd look at their compatibility.

I just went through this. I have a copperband butterfly and it is wrecking my pod population. More than what I anticipated. Its food choice is natural first then what I place in no matter how I try to coach it. I also wanted to add in a wrasse or slower dragon face pipe fish. I've decided not to because the copperband and it would forage for similar food and in the end I don't think I have enough in there.

I could bring my refugium online but even then I don't believe the pods and other creatures will willingly move from the safety of the refugium box through the plumbing and pumps to their death in the display tank. They have small brains but they are not that dumb :) So I am fish limited...

Pretty wrasse. Check the fish forum and see if anyone has kept the two and see. You have plenty of space.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We ant a mandarin and it just occurred to me the scarlet pinstripe wrasse will likely harm it.

IME nothing bothers a mandarin except another one, it's not like your short of space! ;)

As above get the pod population healthy and feed live phyto for them if you can.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fishy folks!
Well @Crabby48 was busy with his own tank but I think I gor Mobius straightened out.
Got a few peppermint shrimp in QT AND just realized the scarlet pinstripe wrasse is prolly gonna get an expensive snack. So we are thinking of relocating the wrasse to the sump for awhile and see what happens with the aptasia in the DT.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back