Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Speaking of exercising your head...guess how many times you move muscles in your scalp? A lot more than you realize. o_O

My scalp doesn't have any of that annoying hair to slow it down. Remember, before you lose your hair, it is all stuffed up inside your head tangled around your brain. :rolleyes:

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small price to pay in order to put up the art.

Commissioned nudibranch paintings from an artist friend and a piece of driftwood from our scuba beach in CA. And an itty bitty glass octopus [emoji223]

7595be2a921819029cae6e6b8b2843f6.jpg

Looks amazing!

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

The octopus was actually commissioned too, although you can find similar all over Etsy.

When I was showing my now wife Katie around the scuba diving sites in Monterey, there was one rick at the base of a particular wall that has historically housed an octopus, literally for generations. Every couple years a new individual, but passing down the home for years. Anyway, for some reason, if I slow swam past that rock, she’d come out and shake hands with me. I’ve had three dive buddies go past there, and it only ever did it with me. Of course, I showed off to my wife, suggesting I knew a special finger movement that put them in a trance and just attracted octopi. She didn’t buy it until the octopus cane out, wrapped its legs around my fingers and just hung out for 5 mins. Blew my wife’s mind.

There was also a seal pup that would follow us and one time laid its head on my shoulder, but I think a life sized model of a seal stuck to my wall would be kinda awkward, lol
That is remarkable. What an amazing experience, and to get to share that wife your wife. Just wow :)

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a touch of brown fuzzy hair algae. I noticed my lone turbo snail made a dent in it last night. That is all.
Sounds like your turbo snail needs to be less lonely! ;)

U

User1

View Badges
Yes it does. :) I am debating who to order from.

Or you can order more and they just ignore the rocks and hang out on the tank walls /rollseyes

At least that is what is going on in my tank.

Edit: I placed an order from LA/DD. It was a mix match of turbo, astria, etc. Just be careful because while I was acclimating them a few darted off in turbo speed mode which caught me off guard. Ended up with three hermit crab of unknown type. Their claws are pointy white tip while they seem more green in color. I left them alone only to find out later they ate a few snails. Maybe those didn't make the acclimation to tank or weak from shipping but they are not in the overflow until I decide what to do with them.

U

User1

View Badges
lol. I am thinking of ordering from reefcleaners.

I've looked at them a couple times but not actually placed an order. I tend to gravitate towards Turbo's because they usually seem to work better for me. However, they seem to be a bit clumsy and when they fall over they do not really right themselves very well and perish. I do wish those of mine that are hanging out on the glass would find their way to rocks but I have a feeling they know how bad it is and sending me a message. Total train wreck at the moment.

On that note have you looked at Pac East lately (Pacific East Aquaculture)? I was on their site window shopping and they had some sales with 10 grazer snails, 10 astrea's, 6 turbos for like 30 bucks. If you are also looking for some frags they have a special going in. I've personally never ordered from them but noticed it in passing. Not sure how many you need but maybe worth a visit if they have a sale going.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for both reefcleaners and Pacific east Coast.

Happy customer of both.
[emoji846]

Trochus and small zebra turbo are my first choice.

Dwarf ceriths are cool but our blue leg hermit crabs say thanks for the shells.

No idea how hard a worker it is, but our money cowrie is 6 years old. Same with the remaining scarlet, blue legs and dwarf zebra hermit crabs.
Nerites, nassarius and dwarf ceriths are all gone.

The turbos, trochus and astreas were added after the tank crash/reset. Just over 2 years old.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can order more and they just ignore the rocks and hang out on the tank walls /rollseyes

At least that is what is going on in my tank.

Edit: I placed an order from LA/DD. It was a mix match of turbo, astria, etc. Just be careful because while I was acclimating them a few darted off in turbo speed mode which caught me off guard. Ended up with three hermit crab of unknown type. Their claws are pointy white tip while they seem more green in color. I left them alone only to find out later they ate a few snails. Maybe those didn't make the acclimation to tank or weak from shipping but they are not in the overflow until I decide what to do with them.

My LA order of snails ended up having a couple of hermit crabs, who feasted on the snails during shipping - lost about 20% of the snails and the bag reeked when opened. LA refunded for the loss, but the CUC was diminished ;-(

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had about 20 trochus snails but that rogue “nasarrius” decimated them. I do not see a live single trochus snail. :( my LFS is getting some snails today or tomorrow so I think I will get some from them. They order from a fishless supplier. I want trochus snails, which they do not have, so I will have to order online. I will check out PAC. THANK YOU!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Something so simple a coral doing it’s thing simple efficient by design beautiful and hypnotic to watch. So much to take in a a relatively small slice of ocean these boxes we keep. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Something so simple a coral doing it’s thing simple efficient by design beautiful and hypnotic to watch. So much to take in a a relatively small slice of ocean these boxes we keep. Thanks for sharing
I am so glad you enjoyed it too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back