Victoria Music's Custom 180 Rebuild

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked on the little booger and he was swimming around, colors normal till I walked in the room. So I am going to bed.
They can be skittish for a while till they get they get used to area and find themselves a good sleep spot/ hiding spot. He’ll be cool with some time. I love when mine eats from my hand now that he’s comfortable they are awesome fish

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#honestyinreefing
As I was cleaning the UV QT tank I prematurely dumped bleach into the tank. Right on top of a prized piece of LR that I save for QT. I snatched it out of the tank, threw it in a little bucket and poured Prime over it. I then poured saltwater in the bucket. zillions (that might not be honest) of copepods floated out of the rock. I was heart broken.
But when I went back an hour or so later all the pods were gone. I presume they were stunned by the bleach but after they revived they returned to the rock. only about 3 were on the surface and truly dead.
I observed a similar response to copepods and minibrittle stars a few years ago with my bleach experiments. But that was with drops of bleach not a full pour of bleach. Only time will tell how many copepods seem to be living on this rock in a few weeks, and months.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#honestyinreefing
As I was cleaning the UV QT tank I prematurely dumped bleach into the tank. Right on top of a prized piece of LR that I save for QT. I snatched it out of the tank, threw it in a little bucket and poured Prime over it. I then poured saltwater in the bucket. zillions (that might not be honest) of copepods floated out of the rock. I was heart broken.
But when I went back an hour or so later all the pods were gone. I presume they were stunned by the bleach but after they revived they returned to the rock. only about 3 were on the surface and truly dead.
I observed a similar response to copepods and minibrittle stars a few years ago with my bleach experiments. But that was with drops of bleach not a full pour of bleach. Only time will tell how many copepods seem to be living on this rock in a few weeks, and months.
Whoops. Could have been much worse.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help. for those of you familiar with foxface fish. Mr. Foxface has been placed in the Disney QT. He has his hiding colors on, his fins up, and he seems to be breathing faster. his little fins are going frantically. Is this how they respond to stress? He did this for a short bit in the other QT.

The 20L QT is in the basement, ambient light on a timer. I have been obsessing that the basement might not be a good place for QT. Am I am just going crazy for nothing?
Yes. Yes you are

My QTs are in the basement. Coral QT gets a 165 black box, invert/anemone at gets a par38 full spectrum. Fish QT gets whatever spills over and comes through the window 20 feet away.

Mr Foxface is doing Foxface stuff. Fir the first week week Michael J. Was in night colours, fins flapping, dorsal fins pointed, head down 45 degrees with snout touching the bottom, panting like a dog in midday Georgia summer. Occasionally list to o beside 45 degrees too. I could watch him on the cam and he’d be swimming around, shyly, but exploring, but retreat as soon as he saw any movement coming his way. They have very acute eye sight, so something as mundane as a shadow across the doorway would starter him.

I wouldn’t worry- sounds totally normal.

Can’t wait to see her strutting colours!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT has always been in the basement next to the heating and air conditioning unit. Is there any concern that I may be unaware of?
No.

Unless you have an old furnace unit that is leaking CO2/CO into the room, it’s fine. My QTs are 10 feet away from my equipment room, but it’s unfinished in 3 sides. So essentially open to the QT area.

No issues

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just leave him alone right? my brain is hitting the panic button. I am so scared that he is gonna die overnight and it will be my fault.
Yeah, leave him be- he’s good.

If you are super worried about his breathing- which, to me, sounds normal for stress condition- throw another air stone in.

But seriously- sounds normal ! He’ll toughen up over the next few weeks and start exploring more.

Once in the DT- if he’s anything like MJ, he’ll occasionally do this fir a few hours. Comes and goes. However- MJ ALWAYS does it when the volcano in Moana goes sentient. ALWAYS. It’s kinda crazy

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, leave him be- he’s good.

If you are super worried about his breathing- which, to me, sounds normal for stress condition- throw another air stone in.

But seriously- sounds normal ! He’ll toughen up over the next few weeks and start exploring more.

Once in the DT- if he’s anything like MJ, he’ll occasionally do this fir a few hours. Comes and goes. However- MJ ALWAYS does it when the volcano in Moana goes sentient. ALWAYS. It’s kinda crazy
Wait a minute are you saying he does that when a movie scene plays?

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

Unless you have an old furnace unit that is leaking CO2/CO into the room, it’s fine. My QTs are 10 feet away from my equipment room, but it’s unfinished in 3 sides. So essentially open to the QT area.

No issues
Thank you.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Yes you are

My QTs are in the basement. Coral QT gets a 165 black box, invert/anemone at gets a par38 full spectrum. Fish QT gets whatever spills over and comes through the window 20 feet away.

Mr Foxface is doing Foxface stuff. Fir the first week week Michael J. Was in night colours, fins flapping, dorsal fins pointed, head down 45 degrees with snout touching the bottom, panting like a dog in midday Georgia summer. Occasionally list to o beside 45 degrees too. I could watch him on the cam and he’d be swimming around, shyly, but exploring, but retreat as soon as he saw any movement coming his way. They have very acute eye sight, so something as mundane as a shadow across the doorway would starter him.

I wouldn’t worry- sounds totally normal.

Can’t wait to see her strutting colours!
Thank you for the great description.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute are you saying he does that when a movie scene plays?
Lol, yes!! Insane, right?

Our 70” is maybe 15 feet away, 45 degree angle to the tank.

If we watch Moana, there’s s particular scene where there’s a lot of flashing etc- I’ve seen him go into stress mode maybe 14-15 times while watching the movie. I don’t see him do it for a few weeks, other than sleeping (he sleeps in the same attitude too), put the movie on, then BAM, 2/3rds way through he’s under the rocks all black and patchy.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes!! Insane, right?

Our 70” is maybe 15 feet away, 45 degree angle to the tank.

If we watch Moana, there’s s particular scene where there’s a lot of flashing etc- I’ve seen him go into stress mode maybe 14-15 times while watching the movie. I don’t see him do it for a few weeks, other than sleeping (he sleeps in the same attitude too), put the movie on, then BAM, 2/3rds way through he’s under the rocks all black and patchy.
That is crazy and interesting!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been under the weather. So just catching up with a few things.
Mr. Foxface graduates today to the upstairs QT sans UV sterlilizer.
Sending hugs. Feel better.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back