Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3117.JPG
The board mounted on the wall above the sump is one of my favorite improvements in the fishroom. Previously we had to drill the concrete wall to mount a 2x4, painted with oilbased primer and glossy white paint. It was too low with the new higher counter so we had to redo the drilling and fill the holes left from the old height. So mounted the 2x4 to the concrete. Then we added 3 2x4 sections about 6" apart, to the base 2x4. These were also painted with oilbased primer and painted. We then mounted the white pvc engineered 1x6 to those pieces. This brought the finished plastic trim board over the sump to hang equipment to and gave me a place to secure and hide the electrical cords. It is very easy to move things around and remove equipment for cleaning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG

These are the displays next to my aquarium. Still enjoy them so they will remain the same. And These are the extra kitchen chairs and pillows. Still love them too!
image.jpg

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have it up and running in no time. I've found that every time I break down a tank I find ways that will make the next one so much better

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have it up and running in no time. I've found that every time I break down a tank I find ways that will make the next one so much better
Thank for the encouragement. I have upgraded twice in the last 12 years but never a do over because of total disaster. I hear it happens to all of us eventually.
I like this slogan from an atv store.
"We ride...we crash...we understand." It could be an marine aquarium slogan too.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son recorded the process and was on standby to hose me down or call 911 if I screwed up and got hurt. Luckily all went well. I placed all the rock in my Brutte, added about 20 gallons of tap water, and 3/4 gallon of acid, and added a few more gallons of tap water to stir it up. The container fizzed and bubbled but did not over flow. At the 5 minute mark I started diluting it a bit, and at the 10 minute mark I added baking soda to neutralize the acid a bit before over filling it to let it spill into the area under a large evergreen tree. It went really well. I rinsed all the rock for several minutes, placed it all in a large brutte in the fish room and filled the container with ro water. I will let them sit for several days - up to a week. Then I will test for phosphate and see where we go from there. I will post a few pictures another day.
After the water was diluted I got a full splash in the face! it is nuts to think that could have happened earlier and I would have been very hurt. I took off my face shield when I was confident the water was diluted, because it got so foggy. It was hard work! Thank goodness it was.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear it happens to all of us eventually.

Indeed it does. Reef long enough and you'll have a crash ..... I've had two! One that I should have anticipated; one not. Building up a tank is the most fun part of the hobby anyhow.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed it does. Reef long enough and you'll have a crash ..... I've had two! One that I should have anticipated; one not. Building up a tank is the most fun part of the hobby anyhow.
I think I can agree with that. This is the most fun I have ever had redoing my fish stuff. I have never set up a fish savings fund before. That has greatly reduced my husbands stress over the money it costs. Thus mine too. lol. This has definately been the most I have ever planned. I have 12 years of experience with this build so I spent a lot more time and money on maintenance equipment and water quality management. My fish room is a lot like a water treatment facility now. I have developed a reefing philosophy of sorts. I have come to believe reefing is a lot like gardening. In gardening you dig a $30 hole for a $10 plant. Much the same for a larger reef. :)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along awesomely!
You are reallllly making me miss my fish room. lol

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along awesomely!
You are reallllly making me miss my fish room. lol
Thank you! That is quite a compliment. and thank you so much for visiting! I miss YOUR fishroom. I loved the videos and loved reading about both version. Your fishroom was a work of art. almost as lovely as the tank its self. Man...I do have a weird thing for fishrooms.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Nice set up, attention to detail, and thanks for sharing :) Wish I had room for water storage and change access like you do. Right now mine are in a pair of 44 gallon brut containers, food grade, that I roll around. I like the stations like you have. One thing I have done though is add smart plugs for the pumps out in the garage. That way I can be in my den where the tank is, turn on Amazon's dot, roll the hose to the tank, and then say Alexia power on new tank water, and it starts going. I don't have to deal with a valve or anything else easy enough for one person. That is, of course, if Alexia decides to play or not....another story. Same for mixing station. I just say Alexia mixing pump, and that starts or stops. Other than that, nothing fancy although on my to-do list.

Thanks again - enjoyed the read.

OP
OP
Victoria M

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up, attention to detail, and thanks for sharing :) Wish I had room for water storage and change access like you do. Right now mine are in a pair of 44 gallon brut containers, food grade, that I roll around. I like the stations like you have. One thing I have done though is add smart plugs for the pumps out in the garage. That way I can be in my den where the tank is, turn on Amazon's dot, roll the hose to the tank, and then say Alexia power on new tank water, and it starts going. I don't have to deal with a valve or anything else easy enough for one person. That is, of course, if Alexia decides to play or not....another story. Same for mixing station. I just say Alexia mixing pump, and that starts or stops. Other than that, nothing fancy although on my to-do list.

Thanks again - enjoyed the read.
Thank you for the lovely compliments, and for taking the time to share your experience. I enjoy reading what others are doing with their tanks too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back