VICTORY IS MIIIIINE

MareR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh MY GOD. So I have a 55 tank. It's been doing GREAT since June. Got me a diamond goby that I need to name, a yellow tang named bubbles (I KNOW I KNOW TANG POLICE but I do plan on upgrading and vlogaftercollege had a yellow tang in a 65 gallon and no one harped on him so yeah AND my tank is LONG not DEEP so more room), fairy wrasse named Lea (kingdom hearts) and two clownfish jack frost the snowstorm and nemo the regular clownfish.

I noticed I think the day before yesterday that the water was CLOUDY like that milky white color. I was like "OH **** bacteria bloom ****" been doing water changes every day since, and I have a RODI unit, and I noticed that my tang and fairy wrasse were laying on their side and was like "Welp....dang" but tonight after another water change, my levels are all near zero, and THE TANG IS SWIMMIN' AND THE FAIRY WRASSE IS DOING GOOD.

I just....I was so worried since my tank is still kinda murky, but it's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still not crystal clear like it was just a few days ago. The fact that the bloom seemed to happen over night scares me, but the fact that my yellow tang seems to be doing okay....that's all I'm happy about. Small victories. Esp since they're very sensitive fish. Is there anything I can do other than water changes to get the water lookin' crystal clear again?

OP
OP
MareR

MareR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a good water change will work good job by the way on figuring things out lol!!!!
I had a tank crash in Feb, my heater malfunctioned, killed all fish instantly, and I had to do a WHOLE cycle all over again so seeing all my fish GASPING for air was the big clue it was a bacteria bloom....that and the color of the water. I was like "NO. NO. I AM NOT. LOSING. THESE FISH." lol I'm glad I did the research beforehand on things that could happen rather than just "what could it possibly be" as my poor fish die lol. I'm gonna do another water change tomorrow.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank crash in Feb, my heater malfunctioned, killed all fish instantly, and I had to do a WHOLE cycle all over again so seeing all my fish GASPING for air was the big clue it was a bacteria bloom....that and the color of the water. I was like "NO. NO. I AM NOT. LOSING. THESE FISH." lol I'm glad I did the research beforehand on things that could happen rather than just "what could it possibly be" as my poor fish die lol. I'm gonna do another water change tomorrow.
Ya it’s sucks that you had that happen but at least now you know how to deal with it if it ever happens again

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was almost in that same boat today. woke up, came to feed the fish and noticed the light wasnt on. also noticed there was no water movement. turned out, the switch on the power strip for the tank accidently shut off, so overnight, they had no water circulation, or heat. tank was at 73 degrees, so no fish were out and about other than my dwarf angel. the two clowns were sitting at the bottom huddled together. my gobbies and blennies eventually came out when it all warmed up. luckily, they all pulled through and got more active after the heat started coming back

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s murky some water changes might help and you could also try adding activated carbon In a media bag

It will also depend on what filtration systems are in place to remove any of the bad stuff produced

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most effective action for me was a UV light added to the sump. Good luck

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a Hang On Back filter system? Canister? Sump?

My experience has been that bacterial blooms are usually from inadequately cleaned filter media (think sponges).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back