[VIDEO] ▶ HANNA AMMONIA Checker - Mr. Saltwater Tank RUF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaltwaterAq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[VIDEO] HANNA Marine AMMONIA Checker - Mr. Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions
In this episode of our series, Mr. Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions (RUF), Mark will look at the Marine Ammonia Checker from Hanna Instruments. Join us as we share when we'd use an ammonia checker to monitor our tanks, as well as why you shouldn't be surprised to find ammonia in your aquarium. We'll also run a step-by-step test using this checker to show you how straightforward it is to use.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following here. We've had some very interesting readings on cycled tanks with this meter
I can't wait to see what the meter shows on two fully running stocked reefs in two different homes

Though the meter only reads to hundredths, I'm expecting tight consistency in readings on two running reefs as an accuracy benchmark.

Also added: no display reef tank runs in the hundredths ppm nh3. If we see readings above 0 then that's highly interesting compared to five thousand seneye logs on file showing a very tight range, within .005 ppm nh3, across all running reefs. Seneye shows that reef tanks don't run in the hundredths ppm nh3. Ever

Too much surface area + current + dilution

If someone tries to sell the fact reefs run at hundredths ppm nh3 sometimes, in order to justify the readout, that will be interesting.

But if they post zero on two different tanks which aligns with all seneye posts that w be neat to see. There's a high bar for digital measure already set that the non seneye checkers must address, reefs don't run in the hundredths ppm nh3. Those readings better be zero above/ I haven't seen yet/ getting popcorn :)

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[VIDEO] HANNA Marine AMMONIA Checker - Mr. Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions
In this episode of our series, Mr. Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions (RUF), Mark will look at the Marine Ammonia Checker from Hanna Instruments. Join us as we share when we'd use an ammonia checker to monitor our tanks, as well as why you shouldn't be surprised to find ammonia in your aquarium. We'll also run a step-by-step test using this checker to show you how straightforward it is to use.

Thanks SaltwaterAq for not only this one video but all the others as well. It's great information that I enjoy that makes me more knowledgeable about the hobby.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited for information update below.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this same meter above should be taken and ran on other reef tank in the home if possible.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited for final results below.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** is there a math conversion step to change that readout above to nh3? Why does the checker list an nh4 option?

How do you get that kit to read nh4 ?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice data.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*update, Garf posted the instructions to the kit. the meter seems pretty accurate now that I can see we must convert the readings to be reef-specific. Saltwater systems only care about nh3 form ammonia, that meter reads as total ammonia nh4 just like api and red sea ammonia kits.

it reads as nh4 just like api, then we convert it off the charts and off ph ESTIMATES (few on any reefkeeping site are measuring pH 100% accurate, it's still an estimate portion of the conversion math)

if Mr Saltwater's reef was 79 degrees and 8.0 ph his .19 reading on that meter is about .01 ppm nh3

and if he's at 79 degrees and 7.8 ph it's .007 ppm nh3 which is now .001 units away from matching the upper end of what a seneye would read, nicely done for $59 meter vs $180.

readings must be converted by estimate.

Back