VIDEO: How to Build a Saltwater Mixing Station

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score

VIDEO: How to Build a Saltwater Mixing Station

Every aquarium needs water.

For saltwater aquariums in particular, it is of utmost importance to use PURE filtered water to mix your own saltwater and replenish what is lost from evaporation.

To make these regular aquarium chores easier, today we are going to show you how to build and set up your own saltwater mixing station. We did not have much space to work with in our office, so if you are lacking space in your garage, this may be the perfect solution for you.

[HASHTAG]#MarineDepotVideos[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
@craigscustoms You need RO for top off water too. If you use salt to top off your salinity will increase. The separate container and hose with valve allows you to either fill the salt water container or get top off water.

@MarineDepot do you have plans for the stand posted anywhere?

craigscustoms

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a vortex ato that has a solenoid attached to the Ro line directly that sends ro water to my sump For ato . there's a separate line teed off going to my salt mixing station that is for water changes only. I will put pics of the stand also.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Why not just feed the ro water to one large container that you mix the salt up in ?

As Gopi mentioned, we're getting RO/DI water for water top-offs as well. This set up allows us to have about 15 gallons of RO/DI ready to go at all times.

@craigscustoms You need RO for top off water too. If you use salt to top off your salinity will increase. The separate container and hose with valve allows you to either fill the salt water container or get top off water.

@MarineDepot do you have plans for the stand posted anywhere?

We did not use any plans as it is a pretty straight-forward 'box' frame. However, if you have any questions about building your own stand, we are happy to help! :)

Last edited:

craigscustoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is how I built my stand for the salt water changing station which is perfect for this project and is very easy to make. Plus I highly recommend using 3 1/2" Deckmate t25 deck screws, so much better than Phillips that strip out. Do a simple top and bottom box frame with the legs on the inside then when you're finished add 2x4's in between the box framing and screw them to the legs so the frame itself has support vertically and all the weight is not on the deck Screws. Make sure they are snug in between the uper and lower box frame for good support. You should have to hammer them in lightly to get them to fit snug. Home Depot can cut the size's you need for the 2x4's and plywood or do it yourself. Get at least half inch thick plywood. And if you would like, paint it any color you want with house paint. I chose mold resistant white (for bathrooms)which I am getting ready to do now before I install it in the fish tank maintenance room.

Attachments

• 1439326238958.jpg
    1439326238958.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 320
  • 1439326441900.jpg
    1439326441900.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 1439328661555.jpg
    1439328661555.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 282

Gustavo Martinez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was thinking about using a 40 gallon tank I have for the RODI water, would that work or will it attract and accumulate algae?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I was thinking about using a 40 gallon tank I have for the RODI water, would that work or will it attract and accumulate algae?
Using a 40 gallon tank as your RO/DI reservoir would work just fine. As long as your water is still coming out at 0 TDS and the tank is not constantly exposed to light there shouldn't be any real risk of growing algae in there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back