Video: How to dose Phosphate Rx

Discussion in 'Melevsreef' started by melev, Mar 12, 2017.

1. melev

melev Avid Hobbyist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Tags:

2. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I use it, no problems here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

melev likes this.
  3. psirex

psirex Well-Known Member

I use something similar with no issues as well

kashman100 and melev like this.
  4. Larry L

Larry L Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

What happens if you don't catch the particles after they clump up? Is it harmful for them to stay behind, or do they just unclump and you're back to where you started?

5. melev

melev Avid Hobbyist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

It's a very fine 'clumping' and I've never noticed them amass anywhere in my tank whatsoever. The filtration takes it all out, in my opinion. A 10m sock will trap them more quickly, if you feel the need.

psirex likes this.
  6. bif24701

I use a 200m sock and a big skimmer, seems to do just fine. However I've never been able to locate a 10m sock.

7. melev

8. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Good vid. I have been using phosphate RX for the past 8 month with great success.

melev likes this.
  9. bif24701

10. Bob Escher

Bob Escher Bye bye freshwater R2R Supporter

I'm confused does a 10 MM sock catch smaller things than a 100MM

Thanks

11. MattL22

MattL22 Well-Known Member

Anyone with full blown acro sps reef using this I've used the pool store lanthanum chloride and had issues what's the difference between phos rx and lanthanium chloride

12. Larry L

Larry L Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Yes, that's the size of the holes in the mesh. So a 100 micron sock will let stuff through that's up to 100 microns in size, but a 10 micron sock would only let through stuff up to 10 microns in size. You wouldn't want to run a 10 micron sock all the time because it will clog up really fast.

13. melev

That sounds like my experience as well.

RO/DI filters are 5 micron or less. 100m or 200m socks let things pass through them. Mesh socks let even more stuff pass through them, and don't clog up as fast. 10m socks clog up in a couple of hours, so they are great for Phosphate Rx treatments.

The difference is Phosphate Rx is mixed properly. And you don't hear about problems using it like you do with people that make their own.

Exactly. In the video, within 30 minutes my 7" 10m sock was nearly overflowing. Within an hour, I removed it since it wasn't doing a thing other than gushing over the rim.

14. michaelfaulk

michaelfaulk Member

I don't run any socks. Just a protein skimmer . How long would it take the skimmer to clear out the particulates

15. melev

I dose right after lights out. The next morning the tank is clear. A few hours should do it.

16. mclark452

mclark452 Member

I've used a bottle or 2 with good results. I feed heavy so it seems I need to use it more often. I like to keep my phosphates below .05. I've read somewhere that it is not good for tangs especially zebrasomas. Is there any truth to that Marc?

17. melev

Years ago, I heard the same about Yellow tangs specifically. Maybe because I keep a good alkalinity level, it's never been a problem. I've had a pair of yellows in my reef since 2011, so they've been through it 30 times (5x per year). The Naso has been with me since 2004, as has the Purple. The Kole I've had for a few years, and the Hippo for about a year. None seem to mind it at all, I've not seen anything at all regarding their health that would make me wonder.

18. 711reefer

711reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

does anyone using this product notice a drop in alk or ca after dosing ? in addition do nitrates rise after dosing ?

MikenGabriel likes this.
  19. MikenGabriel

MikenGabriel Member

+1
    Even a better question... Can you use Phos RX if you have been dosing NOPOX?

20. mclark452

mclark452 Member

Ive used it in a system with biopellets and a system with Nopox.....works equally well. I've not noticed any affect on my alk, as I test it almost daily. I will assume it does not affect Ca. I only test my Ca levels every 3 wks or so, unless something screwy happens with my alk. As for nitrates, they probably will rise if you take your phates down to absolute 0 and you are doing some form of carbon dosing to control trates....you need some phates to get rid of the trates.....good old redfield

MikenGabriel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted