Video of the Flow around a Wild Acro I saw today in Jamaica

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Went out for a bit of apnea training since recovering from Covid, trying to make sure the lungs get reworked and guess what I run into. Now I know persons expect Acros all over the Caribbean but I can assure you that this isn’t as common as you would think. If you do find a colony somewhere out there in the blue, it’s dead. Dog dead.

Was glad to see this one healthy, especially on the South coast of the island. The North is where your odds increase. Reefers know the value of seeing something like this in the wild. I dang near dosed it some “ammonia”, .

Hopefully in the video the depth, light and flow can be seen. For all us reefers out there, I think the only pumps that can give the same flow that I experience around this Acro, would be multiple wave makers that have veeeery wide flow dispersion, run in a 7 second push then pull with a tad bit of overlap. Think multiple Nero or Jebao SLW 30’s with that very broad flow. Flow So wide that you don’t feel like your hand gets shot with flow. More like a smooth stream. In the sea, I don’t feel flow. I feel current. My body doesn’t get “pushed”, it just gets moved.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the motion that Tunze wavebox creates. Somehow no other company invested in creating this “flow” pattern. The shape of corals comes natural with this flow.
PS: I don’t currently own it but would love to pair it with my Tunze/Sea swirl to create a swaying motion on Torches/Gonis.

Sam

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the motion that Tunze wavebox creates. Somehow no other company invested in creating this “flow” pattern. The shape of corals comes natural with this flow.
PS: I don’t currently own it but would love to pair it with my Tunze/Sea swirl to create a swaying motion on Torches/Gonis.

Sam
Is the wave box flow any different from the standing wave mode of other pumps? Yknow, the ones that do the rocking motion?

I spent close to an hour just observing that Acro and the flow around it. Specifically the polyps and If I were to try to replicate what I felt, in an Acro dominant tank, it’d be a wide disperse flow pump like a Nero or Jebao SLW-30 on each side, maybe two in a high low position diagonally. One side goes for 5 seconds but gets interrupted at 4 seconds by the other side coming in.

Random but synchronic . Best way I could describe it.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the wave box flow any different from the standing wave mode of other pumps? Yknow, the ones that do the rocking motion?

I spent close to an hour just observing that Acro and the flow around it. Specifically the polyps and If I were to try to replicate what I felt, in an Acro dominant tank, it’d be a wide disperse flow pump like a Nero or Jebao SLW-30 on each side, maybe two in a high low position diagonally. One side goes for 5 seconds but gets interrupted at 4 seconds by the other side coming in.

Random but synchronic . Best way I could describe it.
You can create pulse mode on Tunze regular power head or two synchronized mp40/60
On opposite ends. The size of the wave will dependent on length, height and placement of the powerheads.
Wavebox just makes it easier to generate the waves.

Sam

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create pulse mode on Tunze regular power head or two synchronized mp40/60
On opposite ends. The size of the wave will dependent on length, height and placement of the powerheads.
Wavebox just makes it easier to generate the waves.

Sam
Yeah I’ve programmed the timing I see with a gyre but the sheet of water isn’t the same as a “wall” of water, so most definitely programmable pumps with the larger wave makers on a switching controller and the smaller ones left on random flow.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I’ve programmed the timing I see with a gyre but the sheet of water isn’t the same as a “wall” of water, so most definitely programmable pumps with the larger wave makers on a switching controller and the smaller ones left on random flow.
It’s possible to create a “wall” with multiple. Most powerheads will allow multiple powerheads to be synchronized and then place same number of powerheads on opposite mode. Depends on how much money one wants to spend.

sam

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible to create a “wall” with multiple. Most powerheads will allow multiple powerheads to be synchronized and then place same number of powerheads on opposite mode. Depends on how much money one wants to spend.

sam
Yeah money for sure. That’s why me goes Jebao, lol. The tank I’m building after Christmas will be the form factor of an IM SR60. I’m gonna see if I can replicate the flow with that setup.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Went out for a bit of apnea training since recovering from Covid, trying to make sure the lungs get reworked and guess what I run into. Now I know persons expect Acros all over the Caribbean but I can assure you that this isn’t as common as you would think. If you do find a colony somewhere out there in the blue, it’s dead. Dog dead.

Was glad to see this one healthy, especially on the South coast of the island. The North is where your odds increase. Reefers know the value of seeing something like this in the wild. I dang near dosed it some “ammonia”, .

Hopefully in the video the depth, light and flow can be seen. For all us reefers out there, I think the only pumps that can give the same flow that I experience around this Acro, would be multiple wave makers that have veeeery wide flow dispersion, run in a 7 second push then pull with a tad bit of overlap. Think multiple Nero or Jebao SLW 30’s with that very broad flow. Flow So wide that you don’t feel like your hand gets shot with flow. More like a smooth stream. In the sea, I don’t feel flow. I feel current. My body doesn’t get “pushed”, it just gets moved.

Pretty sure that is a montipora, but still (and sadly) a rare find in those waters.

I have been told that Bonaire has come back though, and in a fairly significant way.

Pieces of the Ocean

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on the net a long time ago of a pic of tide coming in (or going out) on a tabling acro.

IMG_0038.JPG

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that is a montipora, but still (and sadly) a rare find in those waters.

I have been told that Bonaire has come back though, and in a fairly significant way.
You have to look further into the video

Back