[video] Setting up the new Apex is a breeze

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , thank you for taking the time to make this video . Very helpful

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thanks for the video. Was on the fence, this makes it easier.

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of notes. I mentioned this in another post, but it likely pertains to a multitude of users. The Apex only connects to 2.4 ghz networks. If you're using an apple airport router, they create one network with two bands (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). Typically you won't have any issues, even if your smart device connects to the 5 ghz band while your Apex connects to the 2.4 ghz band.

However, other routers create two bands broadcasted separately. Often you will see your network name (NETGEAR for conversation purposes) which is the 2.4 GHZ band and NETGEAR-5G with is the 5 GHZ band. During set-up, when your smart device disconnects from the Apex and back onto wi-fi, it must connect to the exact same network as the Apex. This means if you have multiple networks in your house, programmed to your smart device or your smart device is programmed onto a 5 GHZ network, it's likely it will connect to another network and you'll get a very frustrating connection error. To prevent this, tell your smart device to forget every network other than the one you are connecting your Apex too. That way, it's guaranteed during wireless set-up both the Apex and your smart device connect to the same network, saving you a connection error.

If you have encountered a connection error, it's quite likely your Apex will have exited wi-fi set-up (where the N on the base unit is blue) and you won't be able to log into apex.local. Pressing the tiny reset button on the base unit for 5 seconds will put it back into wi-fi setup mode and you can re-run the connection procedure, ensuring connection to the correct network.

Any smart product that uses a 2.4 GHZ band will have a similar issue during connection, so it's not exclusive to Apex. Anytime you're setting up a smart device, ensure that both your phone/computer/tablet connect to the exact same network the smart device is programmed too.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes very helpful video!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of notes. I mentioned this in another post, but it likely pertains to a multitude of users. The Apex only connects to 2.4 ghz networks. If you're using an apple airport router, they create one network with two bands (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). Typically you won't have any issues, even if your smart device connects to the 5 ghz band while your Apex connects to the 2.4 ghz band.

However, other routers create two bands broadcasted separately. Often you will see your network name (NETGEAR for conversation purposes) which is the 2.4 GHZ band and NETGEAR-5G with is the 5 GHZ band. During set-up, when your smart device disconnects from the Apex and back onto wi-fi, it must connect to the exact same network as the Apex. This means if you have multiple networks in your house, programmed to your smart device or your smart device is programmed onto a 5 GHZ network, it's likely it will connect to another network and you'll get a very frustrating connection error. To prevent this, tell your smart device to forget every network other than the one you are connecting your Apex too. That way, it's guaranteed during wireless set-up both the Apex and your smart device connect to the same network, saving you a connection error.

If you have encountered a connection error, it's quite likely your Apex will have exited wi-fi set-up (where the N on the base unit is blue) and you won't be able to log into apex.local. Pressing the tiny reset button on the base unit for 5 seconds will put it back into wi-fi setup mode and you can re-run the connection procedure, ensuring connection to the correct network.

Any smart product that uses a 2.4 GHZ band will have a similar issue during connection, so it's not exclusive to Apex. Anytime you're setting up a smart device, ensure that both your phone/computer/tablet connect to the exact same network the smart device is programmed too.

Interesting... I have a couple routers including an Asus RT-AC68U 802.11ac that broadcasts two bands with different id's. For obvious reasons most of my wireless devices (laptops, phones, tablets, TV's) connect to 5G. A few old devices and guests get to use the slower connection. So it would seem if I were to ever upgrade to the new Apex unit and use wireless I would have to switch all my devices that I would use to talk to it to a slower connection or use hard wire as I do today. I'm sure wireless 2.4ghz g|n (gotta wonder which standard they use) is sufficient for Apex's needs but kind of surprised they would use an old standard in a new product. My current android phones are several years old and even they support 5g wireless connections.

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... I have a couple routers including an Asus RT-AC68U 802.11ac that broadcasts two bands with different id's. For obvious reasons most of my wireless devices (laptops, phones, tablets, TV's) connect to 5G. A few old devices and guests get to use the slower connection. So it would seem if I were to ever upgrade to the new Apex unit and use wireless I would have to switch all my devices that I would use to talk to it to a slower connection or use hard wire as I do today. I'm sure wireless 2.4ghz g|n (gotta wonder which standard they use) is sufficient for Apex's needs but kind of surprised they would use an old standard in a new product. My current android phones are several years old and even they support 5g wireless connections.
I've found that most smart devices (including Nest's line of stuff) all use 2.4 GHZ connections. Devices that stream video, such as Apple TV, etc, typically are 5G capable. You won't need to switch your mobile device to 2.4GHZ forever. Only while the Apex sets up. Once the Apex is set-up on your wi-fi network and linked to fusion, you can easily re-connect to a 5G network with no problem. It's only during the hand-off where Apex disconnects from a mobile device or computer and reaches out to a wi-fi network that your mobile device must be on the same wi-fi network as Apex. I think the reason for this is because just after set-up your PC is using apex.local to find the Apex and allow you to connect it with Fusion. If you're on another network, it can't find it and thus assumes the Apex didn't connect properly. I have had this same issue when installing Fishbit and multiple other smart tech products.

The reason I keep posting this is because it's a very frustrating error. The Apex base unit shows it's connected (which essentially it is) but your computer shows a connection error and the Apex has left wi-fi set-up mode, likely leaving the user confused. It's such a simple thing to prevent, I want to ensure people are aware of it.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Terence, just received my apex and right out of the box the red and blue probe have what looks like salt creep on them. I would not think this is normal. I already contacted the vendor for am exchange and just thought I'd check with you. There is also liquid in the tips of the probes. In the pictures of the probes on your site I don't see liquid. Wondering if they leaked.
Bought through Amazon.
28bfa7ac0444d409636fd993b0fd3b26.jpg

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is simply slight oozing of the transport fluid coming out and evaporating during shipping or storage. It is normal. There is nothing to worry about so long as there is even a little fluid in the cap.

Kevin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question what if I have more than 1 aquarium and I want an apex to control each one how would that work? Would I need to have a different login and email addy for each controller and is that how fusion would see it?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question what if I have more than 1 aquarium and I want an apex to control each one how would that work? Would I need to have a different login and email addy for each controller and is that how fusion would see it?
If you wanted to monitor another tank simply purchase, for instance, the PM1 module, a temp probe, and a pH probe, and you simply connect them up and they will show up on your same dashboard.

Or, you could get, for instance, and Apex Jr. and connect it to the second tank. Then you would have a dashboard for each and both tanks would be listed (in ApexFusion) in your list of tanks you can see or control.

Kevin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to monitor another tank simply purchase, for instance, the PM1 module, a temp probe, and a pH probe, and you simply connect them up and they will show up on your same dashboard.

Or, you could get, for instance, and Apex Jr. and connect it to the second tank. Then you would have a dashboard for each and both tanks would be listed (in ApexFusion) in your list of tanks you can see or control.
Going the Apex jr route was my first thought but would it be connected to wifi so I could use my computer to monitor or would the jr need to work with a tablet to minitor?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could connect the Jr. to a wifi bridge and use the display that comes with it on your main apex if you needed one. Everything could be monitored on wifi from your tablet then.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that most smart devices (including Nest's line of stuff) all use 2.4 GHZ connections. Devices that stream video, such as Apple TV, etc, typically are 5G capable. You won't need to switch your mobile device to 2.4GHZ forever. Only while the Apex sets up. Once the Apex is set-up on your wi-fi network and linked to fusion, you can easily re-connect to a 5G network with no problem. It's only during the hand-off where Apex disconnects from a mobile device or computer and reaches out to a wi-fi network that your mobile device must be on the same wi-fi network as Apex. I think the reason for this is because just after set-up your PC is using apex.local to find the Apex and allow you to connect it with Fusion. If you're on another network, it can't find it and thus assumes the Apex didn't connect properly. I have had this same issue when installing Fishbit and multiple other smart tech products.

The reason I keep posting this is because it's a very frustrating error. The Apex base unit shows it's connected (which essentially it is) but your computer shows a connection error and the Apex has left wi-fi set-up mode, likely leaving the user confused. It's such a simple thing to prevent, I want to ensure people are aware of it.
I can't connect. I get to where I have to go to apex.local and keep getting " the web page is not available". I tried the reset pin twice and still the same result. Don't easily get frustrated but I'm there now. Have tried this step for about an hour.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely that your device you are using for set up is reverting back to a different router than the one you configured your Apex for or your device is on the cellular network. Confirm in your device settings that it is on the same network you selected for the Apex when you set it up.

If this is the very beginning of set up (3:50 in the video above) after selecting the Apex temporary set up network as your wifi, instead of apex.local, try the setup IP of 172.16.0.1

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried on my laptop and my phone. Once I switch the wifi to the apex I can't do the next step. I'll try the IP.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back