Vinegar dosing

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to let my calcium and alk drop naturally since it's a bit high and in a month with no addition of either supplement my parameters haven't changed. I dose vinegar and someone in our local club (BRS) said it could be the vinegar breaking down the aragonite like a calcium reactor. Is that possible?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to let my calcium and alk drop naturally since it's a bit high and in a month with no addition of either supplement my parameters haven't changed. I dose vinegar and someone in our local club (BRS) said it could be the vinegar breaking down the aragonite like a calcium reactor. Is that possible?

Sure, if the vinegar is causing your pH low enough to dissolve it or makes direct contact with aragonite before becoming deluded. If you pH doesn't drop below 7.5 regularly that is not it. It's entirely possible your system doesn't consume much of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope. :)

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what could be maintaining the alk and calcium stable?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what could be maintaining the alk and calcium stable?

Is there a reason it should not be? What in your system would be consuming it?

Why not just let things be?

The #1 biggest problem we ALL have (including myself) is fixing problems we don't have, then we disrupt our whole system for a "better number" and then all hell breaks loose proving our suspicion that the .1 our level was off is the reason that coral was purple not pink.

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is at 11 and calcium is 480
I think that's a bit high

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the culprit, the carbon dosing does convert some nitrates to alk. I had around 50 ppm nitrates that I was trying to drop with vinegar ( changed back to vodka )
My alk is now 8-9 and calcium is 420 and everything looks good. Even the last of my sps are coloring up again.

OP
OP
CNDReef

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have a high demand so it just getting higher. I did a few water changes and dropped the nitrate to under 25 and now sits at 10. That's was my target number for nitrates :)
I don't chase numbers but I always had good luck at lower levels then high( first tank was started in 04) I got told to run at 10dkh And 450 calcium and for some reason always had problems. Then someone else told me to run it lower alk and everything started to look better and grow. I guess it might just be my bad husbandry habits lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back