Vinegar dosing

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering dosing vinegar in an attempt to combat an algae outbreak. Basically just wondering did it work for you?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's look at the numbers. can you please post them. What is your light cycle.

OP
OP
M

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phos all testing zero but obviously there more than that considering the algae. Light cycle was about 7 hours white and 9 blues but I have since cut that down to about 5 hours for both in an attempt to rid the algae. Using Chinese BB lights

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar doesn't magically get rid of algae unfortunately. It will eventually lower nitrates, which can lead to less algae. Do you have any herbivores in the tank or other critters that like to eat algae? Pics would help, how bad is it?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @WWIII said. Dosing vinegar might get rid of the phosphates/nitrates, which will starve the algae. It can lead to other problems though. While hardly universal, lots of really difficult problems can arise from nutrients so low that algae can't thrive. Dinoflagellates are one of them, starving corals another. It would be a lie to say or even imply that vinegar causes these things, but an algae outbreak solution ought to be more thought-out than simply getting rid of the nutrients.

I would personally look into growing more desirable algae elsewhere, such as chaeto in a refugium or reactor, or turf algae in a scrubber.

OP
OP
M

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful your flirting with Dino territory.

How big is the tank?
how long has it been running?
Fish?
clean up crew?

It’s a 75 with a 40 gal sump with skimmer and fuge . It’s been running for 8 months. Have 2 Vanderbilt chromis 1 small clown 1 mandarin 1 yellow tang 1 lawnmower blenny and 1 Melanurus wrasse. CUC consists of a pincushion urchin 12 asters snails and a handful of nassarius and cerith snails

OP
OP
M

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @WWIII said. Dosing vinegar might get rid of the phosphates/nitrates, which will starve the algae. It can lead to other problems though. While hardly universal, lots of really difficult problems can arise from nutrients so low that algae can't thrive. Dinoflagellates are one of them, starving corals another. It would be a lie to say or even imply that vinegar causes these things, but an algae outbreak solution ought to be more thought-out than simply getting rid of the nutrients.

I would personally look into growing more desirable algae elsewhere, such as chaeto in a refugium or reactor, or turf algae in a scrubber.

I have chaeto in the sump but there is also a fair amount of hair algae in the sump as well

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back