Vinyl Floor - Protect floor / Slide tank

dahon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am planning a 150 gallon DT + 75 gallon sump on vinyl flooring.

Are there any mats that can be put underneath a DIY wood stand that would allow you to slide the aquarium+stand setup around the vinyl flooring in case of emergencies? Are there any mats that will spread the weight evenly and protect the vinyl flooring from the amount of weight that will be on it?

Thanks!

BRS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ummm...

150 Gallons will weight close to a ton when filled(10 pounds per galllon with rock = 1500 pounds). I would like to see you try and slide that anywhere.

Heck I can't even move my 30G when full.

PeterC99

Can’t Remember What I Did Before Reefing?
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Once your aquarium is filled with water, sand, and rock, it’s not going anywhere! Besides, trying to move that much weight could compromise your stand.

For that reason, it is Very important to get your aquarium placement right! Make sure you have enough room behind your aquarium for maintenance and access.

shwareefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am planning a 150 gallon DT + 75 gallon sump on vinyl flooring.

Are there any mats that can be put underneath a DIY wood stand that would allow you to slide the aquarium+stand setup around the vinyl flooring in case of emergencies? Are there any mats that will spread the weight evenly and protect the vinyl flooring from the amount of weight that will be on it?

Thanks!
I'll just assume said emergency involves most of the water being drained as well. You could invert a carpet ( fiber side down) and glue it to the bottom of the stand as part of the diy design.

Lazy's Coral House

SteveMM62Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If you are worried about a flood, with the most likely place the water is going to end up, is your cabinet base. Go to one of the big box hardware stores, and buy Shower Pan Liner. Most sell it by the foot. Line your cabinet with it, attached rubber pads to your Sump, so you don’t rub through it. The Marine Turnbuckles for canvas tops, are great for securing it.

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%
Chaos Aquaculture