Visible sump - is it gonna be ugly?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by TheLadyCrash, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes they can be beautiful - for plenty of $$$. But they will always be noisy and smelly. The noise of my tank with the doors off the stand is totally unacceptable.
    I think in your space it would be great to fill that nook with a stand - then you can hide all kinds of stuff under the tank. Temporary tear down and move of the tank isn't as bad as you'd think. It leads to all kinds of creative new ideas too.

TheLadyCrash likes this.

2. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is what I am starting to lean towards. I want to upgrade the tank anyway so I’m thinking I may just tear the tank down, put in the new stand, and put the current tank back together.

rainmaker and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes I had the 'larger tank in future' thought about that space too. Good luck with the project!

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  4. litenyaup

litenyaup Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

My stand has doors to hide the noise and give it a finished stand look but I do keep everything clean so I can show off the heart of the system.

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  5. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

You CAN have the best of both worlds. I recently tossed my doors back on, but not before modifying them with smoked viewing windows. So when the stand illumination is off, you cannot see anything in the stand. But when the illumination is on, the magic shows through some.

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6039 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

6. litenyaup

litenyaup Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Way tight!

7. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That is freaking AWESOME. /jealous

8. don_chuwish

Reminds me of the custom PC trend toward tempered glass sides to show off all the sexy gear and lighting effects inside the case. My sump would never be that clean tho!

9. dragonfish

dragonfish Well-Known Member

CAM12040.jpg

Viner87 and Elder1945 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted