Visible sump - is it gonna be ugly?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by TheLadyCrash, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes they can be beautiful - for plenty of $$$. But they will always be noisy and smelly. The noise of my tank with the doors off the stand is totally unacceptable.
    I think in your space it would be great to fill that nook with a stand - then you can hide all kinds of stuff under the tank. Temporary tear down and move of the tank isn't as bad as you'd think. It leads to all kinds of creative new ideas too.

TheLadyCrash likes this.

2. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is what I am starting to lean towards. I want to upgrade the tank anyway so I’m thinking I may just tear the tank down, put in the new stand, and put the current tank back together.

rainmaker and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes I had the 'larger tank in future' thought about that space too. Good luck with the project!

TheLadyCrash likes this.
  4. litenyaup

litenyaup Valuable Member R2R Supporter

My stand has doors to hide the noise and give it a finished stand look but I do keep everything clean so I can show off the heart of the system.

Katrina71 and TheLadyCrash like this.
  5. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

You CAN have the best of both worlds. I recently tossed my doors back on, but not before modifying them with smoked viewing windows. So when the stand illumination is off, you cannot see anything in the stand. But when the illumination is on, the magic shows through some.

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6039 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Katrina71, Karl M, Swoody and 2 others like this.
  6. litenyaup

litenyaup Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Way tight!

Katrina71 likes this.
  7. TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That is freaking AWESOME. /jealous

tom01 likes this.
  8. don_chuwish

Reminds me of the custom PC trend toward tempered glass sides to show off all the sexy gear and lighting effects inside the case. My sump would never be that clean tho!

9. dragonfish

dragonfish Well-Known Member

CAM12040.jpg

Tankme USA, Viner87 and Elder1945 like this.
  10. lbacha

lbacha Active Member

Here is my current open sump

[​IMG]

Soon to be replaced with

[​IMG]

I'm going to have a cabinet on the side of the TV stand to hold all the wiring for the Apex, vortechs and everything else

Len

Tankme USA and crabs_mcjones like this.
  11. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Never get tired of seeing these photos and your tank for real!

Tankme USA, curtisbenm and Broadfield like this.
  12. Orcus Varuna

Orcus Varuna Active Member

No joke. Dreams right there

Broadfield likes this.
  13. choss

choss Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Its been a while since I've been on your thread. This takes it up yet another notch! I love the smoked acrylic if that is what you used. I saw another reefer do something similar and now I'm thinking about it.

Broadfield likes this.
  14. Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus Active Member

Hey Broadfield I like your idea on your doors. I have a IM 25 Lagoon with there metal stand and I thinking what to do with the middle panels that are a black plastic, your idea with smoked glass looks intriguing, so do I go to a glass shop and ask for Smoked Glass? Thanks in advance

15. mtraylor

mtraylor Valuable Member

The one thing I would recommend is that If you have small kids keep that in mind when you design it outside the stand. Also if you have any animals in the house as well.

16. choss

choss Active Member Build Thread Contributor

So having finished my sump which will be enclosed, I'm now tempted to leave it open. :)

Sump top down .JPG

17. lbacha

lbacha Active Member

That looks like a trigger ruby 20c. I feel like it is built to be shown off since the whole front of it is a huge refugium (it's kinda like a AIO that way). I have the exact same sump except that trigger made it in blue acrylic instead of red (it's not the sapphire series it's a blue ruby). I have a h80 as well for mine but I think I'm going to run the h80 on one side of the fuge and a a160we tuna blue on the other and use it for frags (the 19.5" is a little too wide for the h80 I think and I don't need that much cheato.)

[​IMG]

18. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It is acrylic... you can order it from here.

I used the "dark grey" smoked on mine... but they only offer it in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. I don't recall how thick that panel is on the IM stands.

https://www.estreetplastics.com/grey-smoked-transparent-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/273.htm

If you want a lighter smoked grey and/or you need 3/16" thickness, then you would need this:

https://www.estreetplastics.com/grey-smoked-transparent-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/273.htm

19. MRRBW

MRRBW Active Member Partner Member 2018

[QUOTE
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I really like everyone's open sumps. If done right they can look amazing. As for noise, I have an AIO with equipment hanging out in the open, not the prettiest I guess, but the noise is barely perceptible, my mp's and wp's are the loudest part of my tank. So choice equipment for minimal noise should be a priority for sure.

@ Ibacha - really appreciate your taste in Scotch - Ardbeg is one of my favorites!

20. Bulldog07

Bulldog07 Member Build Thread Contributor

Thanks! As this is the first time I have had a sump next to a tank, I don't think I'll ever go back. Being able to lift those lids and get to everything is fantastic. All of the electronics I'm working on moving into the stand away from all the saltwater. One heater cord is about six inches too short. Anyway, the box next to the box has made maintenance much easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted