Visible sump - is it gonna be ugly?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can be beautiful - for plenty of $$$. But they will always be noisy and smelly. The noise of my tank with the doors off the stand is totally unacceptable.
I think in your space it would be great to fill that nook with a stand - then you can hide all kinds of stuff under the tank. Temporary tear down and move of the tank isn't as bad as you'd think. It leads to all kinds of creative new ideas too.

OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they can be beautiful - for plenty of $$$. But they will always be noisy and smelly. The noise of my tank with the doors off the stand is totally unacceptable.
I think in your space it would be great to fill that nook with a stand - then you can hide all kinds of stuff under the tank. Temporary tear down and move of the tank isn't as bad as you'd think. It leads to all kinds of creative new ideas too.

This is what I am starting to lean towards. I want to upgrade the tank anyway so I’m thinking I may just tear the tank down, put in the new stand, and put the current tank back together.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN have the best of both worlds. I recently tossed my doors back on, but not before modifying them with smoked viewing windows. So when the stand illumination is off, you cannot see anything in the stand. But when the illumination is on, the magic shows through some.

IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6039 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheLadyCrash

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You CAN have the best of both worlds. I recently tossed my doors back on, but not before modifying them with smoked viewing windows. So when the stand illumination is off, you cannot see anything in the stand. But when the illumination is on, the magic shows through some.

Reminds me of the custom PC trend toward tempered glass sides to show off all the sexy gear and lighting effects inside the case. My sump would never be that clean tho!

dragonfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAM12040.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6039 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Its been a while since I've been on your thread. This takes it up yet another notch! I love the smoked acrylic if that is what you used. I saw another reefer do something similar and now I'm thinking about it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Broadfield I like your idea on your doors. I have a IM 25 Lagoon with there metal stand and I thinking what to do with the middle panels that are a black plastic, your idea with smoked glass looks intriguing, so do I go to a glass shop and ask for Smoked Glass? Thanks in advance

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would recommend is that If you have small kids keep that in mind when you design it outside the stand. Also if you have any animals in the house as well.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having finished my sump which will be enclosed, I'm now tempted to leave it open. [emoji4]

Sump top down .JPG

That looks like a trigger ruby 20c. I feel like it is built to be shown off since the whole front of it is a huge refugium (it's kinda like a AIO that way). I have the exact same sump except that trigger made it in blue acrylic instead of red (it's not the sapphire series it's a blue ruby). I have a h80 as well for mine but I think I'm going to run the h80 on one side of the fuge and a a160we tuna blue on the other and use it for frags (the 19.5" is a little too wide for the h80 I think and I don't need that much cheato.)

e40aa8b51f2c8c474343bcffdcad1ec6.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Broadfield I like your idea on your doors. I have a IM 25 Lagoon with there metal stand and I thinking what to do with the middle panels that are a black plastic, your idea with smoked glass looks intriguing, so do I go to a glass shop and ask for Smoked Glass? Thanks in advance

It is acrylic... you can order it from here.

I used the "dark grey" smoked on mine... but they only offer it in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. I don't recall how thick that panel is on the IM stands.

https://www.estreetplastics.com/grey-smoked-transparent-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/273.htm

If you want a lighter smoked grey and/or you need 3/16" thickness, then you would need this:

https://www.estreetplastics.com/grey-smoked-transparent-plexiglass-acrylic-sheets-s/273.htm

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE
e40aa8b51f2c8c474343bcffdcad1ec6.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I really like everyone's open sumps. If done right they can look amazing. As for noise, I have an AIO with equipment hanging out in the open, not the prettiest I guess, but the noise is barely perceptible, my mp's and wp's are the loudest part of my tank. So choice equipment for minimal noise should be a priority for sure.

@ Ibacha - really appreciate your taste in Scotch - Ardbeg is one of my favorites!

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!
Thanks! As this is the first time I have had a sump next to a tank, I don't think I'll ever go back. Being able to lift those lids and get to everything is fantastic. All of the electronics I'm working on moving into the stand away from all the saltwater. One heater cord is about six inches too short. Anyway, the box next to the box has made maintenance much easier.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back