Vitaly's Red Sea Reefer 250 build...

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures and I can see why you can only place 9 gallons in the tank to avoid the siphoning issues.
By the way, where is the water level in your overflow, most people are recommending that you have it about 1/2 - 1 inch below the emergency drain pipe.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over weekend I've added a pair of clowns and I've also added Cobalt Heater 300W which actually consist of 2 pieces. I've placed them on both sides of the overflow. Before I had heater that did not have temperature sensor and was only controller by Apex, using new heater I should have a more redundancy in temperature control. However, for some reason my temperature seems to be more viliotile than before. Not sure if this is due to different heater placement.

Left side:
MVIMG_20190323_160417.jpg

Right side with clowns :)
MVIMG_20190325_182505.jpg

This is screenshot of my temperatures over 1 month, big drop is when i was doing water change and replaced heater.
temp1.jpg

Second Image is one day history.
temp2.jpg

I might play more with heater placement to see if it would make more stable water temperature...

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures and I can see why you can only place 9 gallons in the tank to avoid the siphoning issues.
By the way, where is the water level in your overflow, most people are recommending that you have it about 1/2 - 1 inch below the emergency drain pipe.
About an inch or so.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over weekend I've added a pair of clowns and I've also added Cobalt Heater 300W which actually consist of 2 pieces. I've placed them on both sides of the overflow. Before I had heater that did not have temperature sensor and was only controller by Apex, using new heater I should have a more redundancy in temperature control. However, for some reason my temperature seems to be more viliotile than before. Not sure if this is due to different heater placement.

Left side:
MVIMG_20190323_160417.jpg

Right side with clowns :)
MVIMG_20190325_182505.jpg

This is screenshot of my temperatures over 1 month, big drop is when i was doing water change and replaced heater.
temp1.jpg

Second Image is one day history.
temp2.jpg

I might play more with heater placement to see if it would make more stable water temperature...
What do you have your heater set to and what do you have your heater's outlet on the Apex programmed to? You should have your heater's own set point at couple degrees above what the Apex is set to. That way your heater's control is not fighting the Apex's control.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have your heater set to and what do you have your heater's outlet on the Apex programmed to? You should have your heater's own set point at couple degrees above what the Apex is set to. That way your heater's control is not fighting the Apex's control.
Hmm... I've actually set it up competently opposite. My heater is set for 78 and apex is set up for range 75-82. Thinking of having power always to heater, and if heater thermostat fails apex would take over.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done updates in a while.

Since last update, I've gotten cleaner shrimp, about 10 hermit crabs and a six line wrasse, which I had for about 3 days, and then it decided to jump out :(, found it dried up in the morning...

Waiting on my cover, but Clearview (on R2R they are listed under ArtFully Acrylic) has some sort of delay, so not sure when I will get my lid :(

I've also gotten some corals, got yumas (green and red), some zoas (was given for free :) ), gsp and hammer coral.

I've also decided to put chaetomorpha in my refugium and got Kessil's Flora H80 light. I run this light at night on opposite schedule to my normal lights.

Overall tank is doing good, only have a bit much of cyano-bacteria. I do have low Nitrates at 2 and Phosphates at 0.02, so not sure what causing this to be present for last 2-3 weeks.

Below are the photos:
MVIMG_20190602_193624.jpg

MVIMG_20190602_193649.jpg

MVIMG_20190602_193731.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 Skimmer is alright. Even though it was in proper depth (per instructions) it was not skimming properly, I had to raise it about half inch, and put almost at max setting. After this skimmer works as it should producing nice foam, and I get dark brown/black (coffee color) liquid. I clean it once a week, neck of the skimmer does get really dirty, wish it had squeegee like new RedSea skimmers have.

This is my first skimmer, so can't really compare to anything...

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@powers2001 Skimmer is alright. Even though it was in proper depth (per instructions) it was not skimming properly, I had to raise it about half inch, and put almost at max setting. After this skimmer works as it should producing nice foam, and I get dark brown/black (coffee color) liquid. I clean it once a week, neck of the skimmer does get really dirty, wish it had squeegee like new RedSea skimmers have.

This is my first skimmer, so can't really compare to anything...

I have the same Skimmer in my 250. I have so far been using it without raising it, but I have the baffle into the return chamber pretty low. That said I haven't been super happy with it so far (pretty wet skimming, and twice now I've had it randomly overflow).

I've been contemplating raising it, so I may do that now if it seems to be working better for you.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Skimmer in my 250. I have so far been using it without raising it, but I have the baffle into the return chamber pretty low. That said I haven't been super happy with it so far (pretty wet skimming, and twice now I've had it randomly overflow).

I've been contemplating raising it, so I may do that now if it seems to be working better for you.

@clabern Funny thing, after I posted this yesterday, it started overflowing, literally in course of 2 hours cup was full. Not sure what caused this, I have not changed anything...

I've been dealing with cup getting filled with water a few times (probably happens once a month). I do have baffle at the lowest setting, water is at 7" in the skimmer chamber, and skimmer wheel is at 16. The reason I raised it a bit is due to overfilling water.

I am planning to disassemble skimmer and fully clean it either this or next weekend, maybe this will help :D

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@clabern Funny thing, after I posted this yesterday, it started overflowing, literally in course of 2 hours cup was full. Not sure what caused this, I have not changed anything...

I've been dealing with cup getting filled with water a few times (probably happens once a month). I do have baffle at the lowest setting, water is at 7" in the skimmer chamber, and skimmer wheel is at 16. The reason I raised it a bit is due to overfilling water.

I am planning to disassemble skimmer and fully clean it either this or next weekend, maybe this will help :D

Ah, that stinks (the overflowing)! I ordered a cheap acrylic riser to sit it on. I figure once that arrives (this weekend) I'll take the skimmer out and give it a vinegar bath and cleaning before putting it back in on the riser.

This is also my first "real" skimmer (I've only ever had HoB/smaller skimmers in the past), so I'm learning it's weirdness as I go.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've emptied the cup, at night and no overflow. So not sure what caused it... I use plastic eggs crates I bought on Amazon, was very cheap, all skimmer risers that I saw we're $59+

clabern

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've emptied the cup, at night and no overflow. So not sure what caused it... I use plastic eggs crates I bought on Amazon, was very cheap, all skimmer risers that I saw we're $59+

While at home yesterday I started hearing a trickling and sure enough it had overflowed again.

I found this skimmer riser at MarineDepot, $27.99 was a decent price IMO.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, since I have not done this in a while...

I finally have my clearview screen, so no longer need to worry about jumpers :D
Cyano is pretty much gone, and now coralline is appearing on rock and powerheads.

Got 4 new fish, besides my clowns. Got 2 Azure Damsels, Midas Blenny and Randal Anthias, had them for about 3 days now, and they seem to be doing great!

Decided to get rid of chaeto, I was getting slime in sum where it was growing. Got rid of filter socks, and replaced them with holders filled with seachem matrix rocks.

I have problem with zoas closing, which I believe is due to explosion of pod population. I've created separate post about it.

OP
OP
V

Vitaly S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some point yes. Do not think I am there yet, water change replenishes enough for now.
Since I have Apex, I am thinking to get their 2 dose pump. Also thinking of getting Trident, but will give time to see if there are any issues, probably will get in 2020...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back