Vlamingi / Orange Shoulder / Blonde Naso Center Piece Fish?

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, what did you eventually go with?
Nothing yet, but funny you should ask... I was at the LFS yesterday. In his 1200 gallon display tank, he has an 18 year old healthy Vlamingi that only reached 12 or 14". He has another large tank with a 12 year old Vlaminigi that was even smaller.

He's been in the business for 30+ yrs, I've known him since I was a kid. His comment was that so long as you don't over feed them, which many people do, they'll never reach the monster size. He's rehomed one from a client that was feeding 10 sheets of nori per day... it was a Monster, as was their Sailfin tang that wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon bucket. He see's no issue.

So, I'm considering a juvenile Vlamingi with the understanding that if it did indeed out grow the tank I would rehome it or upgrade. The wife doesn't love them though, so it's still up in the air.

Since this post I've been building out the rest of the stock list... and lost a few to an ich outbreak, but all is well now.

Current stock list:
-Gem Tang
-Yellow Tang
-White Tail Bristletooth Tang
-Hippo Tang
-Coral Beauty
-Flame Hawk
-Royal Gramma
-Ruby Head Wrasse
-Solorensis Wrasse
-Goby/Pistol

Taking a break from stocking but considering:
-Centerpiece fish, probably Vlaminigi
-Engineer goby
another Dwarf Angel, probably Flame
-Pair of Genicanthus Angels
-Powder Brown
-Mandarin pair
-A few more Wrasse
-maybe try a Moorish Idol one day

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing yet, but funny you should ask... I was at the LFS yesterday. In his 1200 gallon display tank, he has an 18 year old healthy Vlamingi that only reached 12 or 14". He has another large tank with a 12 year old Vlaminigi that was even smaller.

He's been in the business for 30+ yrs, I've known him since I was a kid. His comment was that so long as you don't over feed them, which many people do, they'll never reach the monster size. He's rehomed one from a client that was feeding 10 sheets of nori per day... it was a Monster, as was their Sailfin tang that wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon bucket. He see's no issue.

So, I'm considering a juvenile Vlamingi with the understanding that if it did indeed out grow the tank I would rehome it or upgrade. The wife doesn't love them though, so it's still up in the air.

Since this post I've been building out the rest of the stock list... and lost a few to an ich outbreak, but all is well now.

Current stock list:
-Gem Tang
-Yellow Tang
-White Tail Bristletooth Tang
-Hippo Tang
-Coral Beauty
-Flame Hawk
-Royal Gramma
-Ruby Head Wrasse
-Solorensis Wrasse
-Goby/Pistol

Taking a break from stocking but considering:
-Centerpiece fish, probably Vlaminigi
-Engineer goby
another Dwarf Angel, probably Flame
-Pair of Genicanthus Angels
-Powder Brown
-Mandarin pair
-A few more Wrasse
-maybe try a Moorish Idol one day
A moorish would make a perfect centrepiece! In fact I was considering one for my 4’ tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back