Vlamingii Tang, didn’t make it after 2 days :(

BillMags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vlamingii Tang - got him at our trusted LFS, we never buy anywhere else. Got him with 2 small clowns that were already paired. He was stressed when he came home, but they told us he would be. Thought it might take a day or two to get adjusted - didn’t look great after day 1, but by day 2, he was dead. Any ideas what could have happened? Only other fish in tank is a cleaner wrasse (besides the clowns). Parameters are spot on.

tempImageyjuaRK.png tempImagePHnq3r.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking at the fins, we’re clowns antagonizing it? Looks like aggression with fins
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Was it breathing normally?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation period/QT aside, did you accumulate him to his new environment for a long enough period, or was it a ‘plop & drop’ into the tank? (I think you were indicating that he already came somewhat weakened from the LFS.)

OP
OP
B

BillMags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at the fins, we’re clowns antagonizing it? Looks like aggression with fins
How was fish acclimated and for how long?
Was it breathing normally?
I suppose that's possible if it happened overnight, but I didn't notice it. Drip acclimation, 45 minutes. It was breathing just fine - just had a few stress spots which I was told would happen. Thank you for your reply!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlamingii Tang - got him at our trusted LFS, we never buy anywhere else. Got him with 2 small clowns that were already paired. He was stressed when he came home, but they told us he would be. Thought it might take a day or two to get adjusted - didn’t look great after day 1, but by day 2, he was dead. Any ideas what could have happened? Only other fish in tank is a cleaner wrasse (besides the clowns). Parameters are spot on.

tempImageyjuaRK.png tempImagePHnq3r.png

Did the fin damage occur before or after death?

One huge cause of fish loss in new fish is that some dealers keep their fish in low specific gravity water, say 1.020 or even lower. Then, people buy those fish and try to acclimate them to their home tanks that are at full specific gravity (say 1.025). This causes a huge amount of stress and can kill the fish outright.

Jay

OP
OP
B

BillMags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Observation period/QT aside, did you accumulate him to his new environment for a long enough period, or was it a ‘plop & drop’ into the tank? (I think you were indicating that he already came somewhat weakened from the LFS.)
I don't believe he was weak from the LFS, he was just slightly stressed when we got him home which is normal for tangs. It was not a plop and drop. 45 minutes drip acclimation. He was swimming around fine checking everything out for the rest of the day until I went to bed, so all seemed well.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like to acclimate my fish over about 4+ hours, keeping them in a container of LFS water to which I slowly add tank water. But of course I have an air stone in there the whole time. (Not criticizing you, just throwing something out there.) Sorry for your loss of a nice fish!

OP
OP
B

BillMags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the fin damage occur before or after death?

One huge cause of fish loss in new fish is that some dealers keep their fish in low specific gravity water, say 1.020 or even lower. Then, people buy those fish and try to acclimate them to their home tanks that are at full specific gravity (say 1.025). This causes a huge amount of stress and can kill the fish outright.

Jay
I honestly don't know, but my best guess would be after since I saw the cleaner shrimp hanging out by him when I woke up. Fins looked fine when I went to bed last night. Good to know about the water gravity- thank you for taking the time to explain that!

OP
OP
B

BillMags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I like to acclimate my fish over about 4+ hours, keeping them in a container of LFS water to which I slowly add tank water. But of course I have an air stone in there the whole time. (Not criticizing you, just throwing something out there.) Sorry for your loss of a nice fish!
Cool, appreciate the feedback thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't believe he was weak from the LFS, he was just slightly stressed when we got him home which is normal for tangs. It was not a plop and drop. 45 minutes drip acclimation. He was swimming around fine checking everything out for the rest of the day until I went to bed, so all seemed well.
What jay was saying and what I asked too was salinity
Drip acclimation for 45 was a short one but question is- did you match salinity with that of tank?
I also have a suspicion that the clowns harassed it hence the damaged fins and placed it under stress

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back