Vodka and Vinegar combination dosing (DIY nopox variant)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to carbon dose using a combination of vodka and vinegar 2x daily. Now the schedule for vodka 80 proof dosing is essentially:

0.1mL/25 gallons days 1-3
0.2mL/25 gallons days 4-7
every week after increase by .5mL regardless of tank volume

The combination I want to dose would be comprised of 69% vinegar (5%) and 31% Vodka (80 proof). So for every 1mL it would contain .69mL of vinegar and .31mL of vodka.

My question is can I use this dosing schedule with vodka equivalents using a mix of vinegar and vodka without issue? Just wondering if there is something I am missing...

Since 80 proof vodka has 8x the carbon that 5% vinegar has than every 1 mL would contain this many vodka equivalents:
0.69 * 1/8 + .31 = 0.396 or 0.4.

So if I want to add 0.5mL of Vodka (the weekly increase after the first week) then I would need to add 1.25mL of this solution (0.5/0.4).

Thoughts?

RobertPoorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to get the calculation of equivalent amount of carbon in nopox to vodka??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a way to get the calculation of equivalent amount of carbon in nopox to vodka??

I gave what I consider to be the best analysis, and it is close to amount of carbon, but not exactly the same. Amount of carbon is not itself any more meaningful than amount of organic. For example, methane is nearly all carbon by weight and is not particularly useful for most organisms. Formate, as in Tropic Marin's All For Reef, has one carbon per molecule, but does not provide nearly as much energy to an organisms as 1 molecule of methanol, which has much more chemical energy to it. All of those contain one carbon per molecule but have vastly different utility to organisms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back