Vodka vs activated carbon vs bio pellets? How to replace…

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running activated carbon for the sole purpose of reducing toxins from corals.

I learned that activated carbon can cause HLLE in fish, and I want to prevent it. Plus the changing maintenance in my reactor is getting annoying and messy.

What alternatives do we have for activated carbon? Will carbon dosing cover the same?

how about those biopellets?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the issue may (emphasis on may) be linked to crappy carbon. A premium brand such as Red Sea, Nyos, BRS (etc.) is recommended.

I’ve been using carbon like Chemi-Pure Blue and Red Sea reef-spec for over a year without any issues with my tangs.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets and carbon dosing does not remove toxins. It’s more for adding a food source towards bacteria and filter feeders. As far as I’ve learned, there is nothing like activated carbon for our reef tanks. Activated carbon is excellent at; removing chemicals, polishing discoloration in the water and absorbing some toxins.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the organic carbon dosing methods, have any of the toxin binding impact of granular activated carbon.

Other approaches to bind organics include purigen, GFO, and some other polymer resins.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back