Volunteering at the local pet store…but perhaps more?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. And that’s the key is making sure I have the time without neglecting my family.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I’ve read various threads here that have some form of reccomendation to volunteer at their LFS to meet local reefers, help them out, etc.

So I’ve worked for my LFS in the past, as a paid employee. Since then, the only employee who’s there since I left is the district manager. I’ve talked with the fish manager and he’s admitted he won’t get in coral because it’s too difficult for him.

Because of this, I’ve thought about approaching the district manager about volunteering to set up and maintain a coral tank.

The catch…
1. There’s some obvious investment required from the store…I’d want it ran with proper equipment and the store is known to be a little cheap
2. if I was to do this, I’d want to have the ability to order and price the coral accordingly. I could see this causing issue as I know their pricing methods (including mark up amounts on wholesale) and they don’t build in the ability to discount (price is firm) where I’d want to be able to be flexible
3. A continuance of number two, is just as a volunteer, I don’t think they’d go for that at all. However I don’t want to be an employee just for the sake of not having to deal with other things (this is a pet store not a fish focused store).
4. Hope that I could get discounts on coral for my personal tanks.

With the above said, is there anything else I should be looking out for? Am I just asking too much? How should I start or approach this with them? I don’t even know if they’d accept volunteer work but thinking might be a good way to get stuff locally and expand the local base. Am I completely over thinking this?

I’m thinking if I bring this up as a volunteer opportunity type thing, they’d be 50/50.

I think, maybe bring it up as space rental? Like I rent some floor space for the tank, put my own investment in it as far as tank and other supplies go, and then request the ability to order coral in, I pay, and then receive a commission? Idk

Anyone have any thoughts?
The importation, maintenance and sheer upfront investment is very risky on corals.
Even small scale, your talking about sending say $15-$20k overseas, just to get them shipped.
How can you assure him that he won’t end up with thousands of dollars in dead corals?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The importation, maintenance and sheer upfront investment is very risky on corals.
Even small scale, your talking about sending say $15-$20k overseas, just to get them shipped.
How can you assure him that he won’t end up with thousands of dollars in dead corals?
I honestly couldn’t. However, they order from wholesalers based in CA. They don’t do direct ordering from overseas

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? you can volunteer for anybody. It's not like it's a tax write-off.
Fairly certain…It’s written in the labor laws.

That pesky US department of Labor ;)

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Fairly certain…It’s written in the labor laws.

That pesky US department of Labor ;)

Perhaps, maybe that's why they call it minimum wage?

But then again look at all the for-profit hospitals and senior citizen facilities that are FULL of volunteers.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps, maybe that's why they call it minimum wage?

But then again look at all the for-profit hospitals and senior citizen facilities that are FULL of volunteers.

He stated didn't want to be an employee or be paid because he doesn't want responsibility to anything else in the store. So this isn't about min wage but no wage.

I would assume a hospital is a lot different then a fish store. Some businesses (maybe hospital?) are likely exempt. Some probably has to do with private vs public. He is talking about setting up/maintaining a coral tank which would be selling goods.

Very sketch. I doubt it is as simple as walk in and say... hey I will work for free selling coral for you. At least if you want to make sure you are following the laws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the catch is that I’d be doing a service the employees can perform, deeming me an employee

I think hospitals and senior care get away with it under this exemption: public service, religious or humanitarian objectives

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
He stated didn't want to be an employee or be paid because he doesn't want responsibility to anything else in the store. So this isn't about min wage but no wage.

I get it, you just misunderstood what I meant.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this would definitely be an impact on family time. I have a full time job Monday through Friday, and a part time job on weekends. My main thought is not really the sales aspect (let their employees do the sale) just to be able to get local coral as the nearest LFS with at least semi-healthy coral is about an hour or so drive
If it was me I would be taking that time to drive the hour or so to the other LFS instead of investing time volunteering at a LFS since you seem to already have plenty of things to take up your time.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a business owner this at face value looks like a nightmare waiting to happen. Things to think about. If the corals all died because someone was messing with things who is culpable? What if something broke and hurt a child while you're not there.

If you rent that space, you likely will be responsible for what happens in your space. Think about terms you guys can agree on and how insurance issues would work. I wouldn't take 100% of the hit if god forbid something happened with your area as the primary owner. Just a few thoughts. Awesome initiative just cover your rear end, and the owners so he's comfortable while considering it. Last but not least how you divide earnings and returns/losses any number of things that can make a customer unhappy as he will be dealing with it and not you, etc.

Hope it works out!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back