Vortech MP 10 or MP40 On 5' Tank

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add some more flow to my 120 gal 5' long sps tank. I already have 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350, but have some dead spots that I want to add 2 more pumps. I was considering 2 MP10 to either put on back side of tank or sides. But, was also considering the MP40 as I may upgrade to larger tank within the next year or so. What are your thoughts? Would MP 40 at lowest setting be too much with the gyre? I had the older MP 40 years ago and they packed a punch. For the extra 60 or so dollars a pump, it seems like it's more practical to go with the MP 40 especially if I upgrade. Thanks.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 foot with 2mp 40. I figured why run the 10s 100 percent and get the 40s and either run at 50 percent or much higher and room to upgrade later

OP
OP
F

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I was on the fence and originally thinking the 10 and the more I thought about it, the 40. lol You are convincing me with the 40.

SCiMMiA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 120g 5 feet.
I use 2 mp40 on each side.
They are on reef crest at 60% max and I love it.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 65g I wish I had a mp10 in the back to go with the 2 40s

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10 will be pretty much useless in a tank that size. I have 4 x MP40 in a 6'.

He is running two gyre's. Those things put out twice the flow of mp40's. I just sold off mine because it was too much flow for my 6' tank. For a bare bottom it would have been fine but it was blowing my sand all over. I run 4 mp40's now at 90% in reefcrest and will probably add a couple of tunzes for supplemental flow once my sps tank grows out.

OP you might want to look at a couple of tunze powerheads to add some supplemental flow with your gyre's since you can direct the flow exactly where you need it. I couldn't come up with a way to add my mp40's to my gyres since they were just disrupting the gyre flow.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60”x36”x24” and I run four Mp40s, two on each side, all on ReefCrest @90%. Although it seems like a lot of flow, and it definitely is, I could definitely add a few other power heads for randomness if I wanted.

I would definitely go with the Mp’s.

OP
OP
F

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is running two gyre's. Those things put out twice the flow of mp40's. I just sold off mine because it was too much flow for my 6' tank. For a bare bottom it would have been fine but it was blowing my sand all over. I run 4 mp40's now at 90% in reefcrest and will probably add a couple of tunzes for supplemental flow once my sps tank grows out.

OP you might want to look at a couple of tunze powerheads to add some supplemental flow with your gyre's since you can direct the flow exactly where you need it. I couldn't come up with a way to add my mp40's to my gyres since they were just disrupting the gyre flow.
I actuall have 1 nanostream 6095 onthe side up next to front glass. The only thing I don't like is the size. visually it annoys me. haha

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actuall have 1 nanostream 6095 onthe side up next to front glass. The only thing I don't like is the size. visually it annoys me. haha

I added two random flow nozzles from vca to my return to help with the middle of my tank. Update us and let us know what you decided to go with. I'm going to run into this same problem before long.

Why can't someone make a small discreet powerhead for supplemental flow with a magnet for 3/4 to 1 inch glass that can be directed?

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go trid of the Gyres, could you just consolidate and go with two MP60s and call it a day?

The problem is once your tank starts to look like this how do you get flow to everything?

coral.jpg

OP
OP
F

FutNA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two random flow nozzles from vca to my return to help with the middle of my tank. Update us and let us know what you decided to go with. I'm going to run into this same problem before long.

Why can't someone make a small discreet powerhead for supplemental flow with a magnet for 3/4 to 1 inch glass that can be directed?
Will do. I'm actually headed out to my LFS now. I think you guys helped me decide. I think I'm going to go with the 40.

You said you had strong flow with gyre. Mine doesn't get as good of flow as I want and expected. I have them at 80% and it's not great. I had the previous generation and they were awesome, but one quit working on me so I just bought the 350 last winter when they came out. What's weird is on the control box when I set it to the 330 it blasts, but is extremely loud. When I set controller to 350 it's quiet but doesn't run like I feel it should. I feel the 330 and 350 mode is switched in the controller. lol Did you have this issue?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered the mp10 for my back glass because I worry the mp40 will be too much. I have a 48x24x24. I currently have 2 mp40. I have also considered adding 2 tunze Nano stream 6055.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I'm actually headed out to my LFS now. I think you guys helped me decide. I think I'm going to go with the 40.

You said you had strong flow with gyre. Mine doesn't get as good of flow as I want and expected. I have them at 80% and it's not great. I had the previous generation and they were awesome, but one quit working on me so I just bought the 350 last winter when they came out. What's weird is on the control box when I set it to the 330 it blasts, but is extremely loud. When I set controller to 350 it's quiet but doesn't run like I feel it should. I feel the 330 and 350 mode is switched in the controller. lol Did you have this issue?

I was running xf350's. They were great at providing flow but it was more like a washing machine just spinning the water in a circle. With the MP40's I like the flow pattern alot more especially using antisync in reefcrest mode. The flow is alot more random throughout the day and I can tell a difference in my hammer coral, duncan and anemone seem to extend more and look more natural. Instead of just being blown all in one direction with the gyre.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks nice!

I wish that was mine, ha. I just pulled that up to ask how you would create flow in a tank like that. That is my inspiration pic. :)

Mine as of right now, ha....

20191215_105028.jpg

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10 doesn’t hold very well on half inch glass - plus it’s really intended for small tanks. Even the MP40 is a little wimpy, frankly, though probably ok on a 5’ tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back