Vortech MP40 x2 or Red Sea ReefWave 25 x2 for Reefer 350?

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm trying to decide between 2 Vortech MP40s or 2 ReefWave 25s for my Reefer 350 tank. Any insights or tips would be great. Thanks

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 2 MP40s would be too much for a 350 tank if you're only running at 30% in a 525?

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think 2 MP40s would be too much for a 350 tank if you're only running at 30% in a 525?
It depends on your rock layout and flow and corals, etc... MP10s are limited in the glass width (don't remember how thick it can be), so you'll want to check that, but if they're ok, I think they would suffice. Although I'm no expert, as this is my first SW tank and in my FW one I didn't have any powerheads :)

dvlpr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reference - this is what it looks like atm (nothing much in there yet) - that wire-free look for me is a winner.

20200426222259.jpg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP-40's. Run them slow. You can use them if you ever upgrade to a larger system down the road and not have to buy new wavemakers. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends what you want. Those pumps do very different things.

The Red Sea is a gyre. It will push a sheet of water across the top of your tank.

The MP40 is more of a standard wavemaker, although much better than the standard ones.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think many people have had a chance to use the res sea’s yet but if they made them as easy to maintain as people suggest then they are the ones to go with. You will get way better water movement with a gyre I loved my gyres but the cleaning every week-2 weeks sucked. I say Red Sea. You will ha e a boat ton more options with those

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this so still lots to learn! Are there any benefits/disadvantages to each one? I'm just starting out so looking for something that will last me for a long time but will be suitable for a wide variety of fish/corals rather than something too specific/niche. Thanks

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp40’s on my reefer 350. I got them way before ten Red Sea ones were announced. If I had to do it over again I’d get the MP40’s again.

my main reason is the Apex. I use the feed modes on the Apex and it’s really nice to tie what the pumps are doing to feed mode. In my setup they ramp down to a pretty slow wave but after feed mode is over they’ll slowly ramp back up and switch to Nutrient Transport mode.

sounds kinda dumb but it works and suits my needs.

the other factor is the convenience of having everything controlled by a single app. I’d get annoyed having to toggle stuff in 2 apps (ReefBeat & apex) every time I want to feed the tank or perform maintenance.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the MP40’s, I run 4 of them on a 120 alternating all different modes throughout the day. When I was running 2 gyres the flow was always the same. I like that you can hit sps with random from from all different directions and I see much better polyp extension. Here is a vid I posted the other day of a birds nest-

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I say apex mp40's You can run them a lot of different ways.
The no wires in the tank is nice
I have 5 mp60's in my tank

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with MP40. Unless you’re mounting them at the back panel and the tank is right up against the wall, in that case I’ll go with the AI Nero 5.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my main reason is the Apex. I use the feed modes on the Apex and it’s really nice to tie what the pumps are doing to feed mode. In my setup they ramp down to a pretty slow wave but after feed mode is over they’ll slowly ramp back up and switch to Nutrient Transport mode.

So does the Apex allow you to link your MP40s and your return pump into one system in order to control everything centrally?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does the Apex allow you to link your MP40s and your return pump into one system in order to control everything centrally?

Your return pump would have to be a COR, the last I knew the Vectra’s were not compatible with WXM. Somebody can correct me if they changed that in the last 6 months

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ish... like most things in the hobby the answer is “ya, but it costs more”.

you can 100% control the Vortech by buying the WXM module. Without it you can still turn it on/off but you can’t change modes and do “advanced“ programming.

the apex can also control DC pumps that have a 0-10v connection. Reef Octopus VaioS pumps do. With a supported pump you can program the apex to change how much power the pump uses - hence change the flow.

again - without that the apex can still turn stuff on/off.

their line of Cor pumps can do even more fancy stuff but I’m happy controlling my VarioS through the apex

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ish... like most things in the hobby the answer is “ya, but it costs more”.

you can 100% control the Vortech by buying the WXM module. Without it you can still turn it on/off but you can’t change modes and do “advanced“ programming.

the apex can also control DC pumps that have a 0-10v connection. Reef Octopus VaioS pumps do. With a supported pump you can program the apex to change how much power the pump uses - hence change the flow.

again - without that the apex can still turn stuff on/off.

their line of Cor pumps can do even more fancy stuff but I’m happy controlling my VarioS through the apex

Just as a point to the OP

I have 2x Vectra S2’s and 2x MP 40’s on my cube-ish 115 and I’ve been running these through my Apex with just the on/off functionality.

I’ve toyed around with the idea of buying the WXM module, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I can’t say that I think it’s necessary.

I believe the WXM module is $100-$130, if I’m not mistaken.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm trying to decide between 2 Vortech MP40s or 2 ReefWave 25s for my Reefer 350 tank. Any insights or tips would be great. Thanks
I’ve been running two reefwave 45’s in my Red Sea p500 and they are incredible. Mine hang vertically and you can independently adjust flow angle for bottom and top so it’s almost like you have 4 heads. The app lets you create several preset waves (continuous, step, interval, random) or create your own. I’m running mine at max 40% with Fiji pink sand and have it positioned now where no sand movement. I’m sure the vortechs are great as well, but don’t see how they beat a gyre design.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Couldn't find any here in the UK due to Covid so went with the MP40s in the end. Pretty happy with them - just waiting for Mobius to be sorted out now

wackyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Couldn't find any here in the UK due to Covid so went with the MP40s in the end. Pretty happy with them - just waiting for Mobius to be sorted out now
I am in the same dilemma as you originally were. Do you care to elaborate on 'just waiting for Mobius to be sorted out now?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back