[Vote Please] Do you like the new marketplace ideas?

Do you want R2R so heavily involved in your sales?

• Yes

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 76.4%

• Total voters

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please Vote to Show what you think.

Please read @revhtree's thread :)

Thread --> "What is a fair PERCENT for selling on the NEW R2R market"

I don't want things to be muddied up, so I'm keeping it as simple as possible. Do you want R2R involved in aspects of sales, including disputes, and fee's -- Yes or No.

I wanted this to be as impartial as possible, while airing my concerns, but it very quickly diverged. So I'm editing the OP to just get more attention to Rev's thread.

Last edited:

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So someone is pushing really, really hard to reinvent the wheel, and take a lot of money while doing it. I for one this this is a horrible idea, and that R2R has no business getting deep into our sales.

I think MANY of you aren't even aware of this happening.

I also don't think people who don't sell should really have much say in the subject, UNLESS you offer to be charged to buy instead... As the shipper has a LOT of responsibilities as is, aside from usually losing 5-10$ on shipping, and investing a few hundred bucks in shipping supplies, being responsible for DOA's, etc etc.

Thread --> "What is a fair price for selling on the NEW R2R market"

I don't want things to be muddied up, so I'm keeping it as simple as possible. Do you want R2R involved in every aspect of selling, including disputes, and taking a percentage of your sales -- Yes or No.

I thought about several options, but lets keep it simple.. Because either this whole thing is gonna pass, or not. Most likely not bits and pieces.

No

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't think people who don't sell should really have much say in the subject

That is some backwards logic right there. If you don't play in the NFL you really shouldn't have much to say about it.

I haven't sold or bought anything on R2R, but I'll say that NO they shouldn't charge to sell on the site IF you are a hobbyist selling frags or livestock on occasion. If you are running a coral farm out of your house and use R2R as an extension of your business then YES they should charge a fee to sell.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is some backwards logic right there. If you don't play in the NFL you really shouldn't have much to say about it.

I haven't sold or bought anything on R2R, but I'll say that NO they shouldn't charge to sell on the site IF you are a hobbyist selling frags or livestock on occasion. If you are running a coral farm out of your house and use R2R as an extension of your business then YES they should charge a fee to sell.

I understand where you're coming from. But until you spend money on shipping gear, eat $5-10 on shipping each sale, have packages lost by mail and have to refund a $400 order or replace with more frags... Then it's easy to say "yeah sure, take that other guys money".

They will be charging on gear as well. Doesn't matter what you sell, livestock or equipment, you will be charged, and not allowed to sell unless you are a "verified seller".

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no.

I do like the idea of a more secure way to purchase used reefing gear, but I don't like the idea of taking away the current system.

I'd rather them make a separate website for it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of making this out like R2R is about to rob people I'd suggest asking #mods to come in to give details. What's wrong with a verified seller? When people get ripped off they want R2R to help? I think there's more details that aren't being posted and truthfully unfair. I dont think any staff member or this forum is going after pockets.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you're coming from. But until you spend money on shipping gear, eat $5-10 on shipping each sale, have packages lost by mail and have to refund a $400 order or replace with more frags... Then it's easy to say "yeah sure, take that other guys money".

They will be charging on gear as well. Doesn't matter what you sell, livestock or equipment, you will be charged, and not allowed to sell unless you are a "verified seller".

Not gonna lie. It sounds like you need to put shipping costs into you price of goods. I know there's more that goes into it than that so don't jump down my throat.

Going from not charging for so long to now charging, seems like they may be missing a step. Like saying all sales need to be done through paypal and all disputes through there as well. Then in 6mo or year they can tack on a 1-2% commission on frags and live stock, and maybe 5-8% on dry goods and equipment. I can see a lot of the business going to facebook and craigslist if people aren't happy with the outcome.

I'm in sales for a living and hear things like this all the time. My company didn't have a shipping price increase in TWO YEARS, then it went up 75 CENTS. You would have thought we asked for the first born child of each store owner. I literally gave one of my accounts a dollar every time they placed an order for 6 months until they stopped complaining.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't these proposed adicional protections just overlap with those of, say, PayPal?

They would outright interfere with them... I would much rather have paypal deal with my issue and that's as someone whose been an Amazon and ebay seller for years. I would not trust a random moderator with my money.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. Financial support should come from site supporters and sponsors. I don't think it would be unreasonable to only allow site supporters to sell here. BTW, not a single seller on the first page of the selling forum was a site supporter...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thought. They can do whatever they want, it's their system, their baby. If we don't like the way they do sales, we have the option to sell on other forums, FB, or CL.

I agree! I also think it's prudent and fair to tell them how we feel. Or warn them that there will be a mass exodus of sellers.

Poor moderation and bad ideas killed Reef Central. Nothing is bullet proof.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back