Vote: Should I Add A Sand Dwelling Wrasse?

Should I Add A Sand Dwelling Wrasse

• Yes, should be fine

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No, don't do it

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really like to add a halichoeres wrasse, but I set my tank up with eggcrate on the entire bottom of the tank. My rocks are stable, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to add a wrasse that sleeps in the sand. I have about 2-3 inches of sand and I don't really want any more than that. I've heard mixed opinions on wrasses and eggcrate. What are your thoughts?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d think it would be fine, but I’ve never tried it.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue spot leopard wrasse and it’s my favourite. Just read up on them and follow all of the advice especially when choosing your fish.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue is the egg crate. I love leopards too, but never seen them with eggcrate.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which halichoeres? These are one of my favorites since they're always hunting down 'pests'.

You should be fine. They don't exactly dive straight down. Relatively hardy fish once they get time adjusted to your lighting schedule IMO.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine as long as there is some sand there. I don't have much more than that on the base of my tank and my juvie Melanurus does just fine.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a Yellow Coris to eggcrate. 30 secs into the tank and under he went in about 2 inches of Pink Fiji with eggcrate underneath. 3 days later he emerged with a broken jaw. He made it maybe another week before he died from not eating.

Larz_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution was to only have eggcrate under the rocks as a base.
Rock -- eggcrate with maybe 1" outside the area of the rock -- the rest of the tank is sand only.
I figured you only need the eggcrate where the rocks actually touch the bottom glass.
I also used a saw to make the bottom of the rocks flat so that they sit well on the eggcrate.

My melanarus is just fine --- has plenty of sand without eggcrate to choose from.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back