Voting Closed! Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Contest!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who is your pick for Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Contest winner???

• Contestant 1: Adele

Votes: 8 1.0%
  • Contestant 2: CollinSlice

Votes: 26 3.3%
  • Contestant 3: David Wagner

Votes: 158 20.1%
  • Contestant 4: HKM94

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Contestant 5: JP Wagner

Votes: 179 22.7%
  • Contestant 6: Kali

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Contestant 7: LiveWire

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Contestant 8: Melanie Fish

Votes: 211 26.8%
  • Contestant 9: TessGlo

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • Contestant 10: TheFishLady

Votes: 122 15.5%
  • Contestant 11: VKP01

Votes: 37 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!!MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL CONTESTANT ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING USING THE POLL ABOVE!!!

Voting closes Tuesday, November 27 at 10:27 PM EST!

Ok guys, here it is! The final voting for the Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build contest!!! If you want to see the progression of the contest, check out this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...-super-mega-awesome-shrimp-bowl-build.423375/

Here are the rules! You can vote once for one contestant! Polls will close on November 28th (two weeks) so get your vote in! There are 11 final contestants as follows, listed in alphabetical order:

Please take a moment and glance over the 11 write-ups and photos each contestant has provided outlining their journey. This will help you make a decision!

The contestant with the most votes will win their pick of the three main prizes listed below. The contestant with the second highest vote count will be able to pick out of the remaining two prizes and the third highest will receive the final prize. There will be NO recounts (just kidding - maybe).

!!!PRIZES!!!

SPONSORED BY OSACORALS.COM, REEF BREEDERS, REEF NEWS NETWORK, FRITZ AQUATICS AND CARIBSEA

1 – Waterbox Cube 20 AIO provided by @OSA

1 – ReefBreeders LED Controllable light provided by @Reef Breeders

1 – ReefBreeders Reef Power RP-26 Power Head provided by ReefBreeders

1 – Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater provided by @ReefNewsNetwork

1 – Fritz Aquatic Start Kit (1 box of Salt, 1 Bottle of Turbo Start, 1 set of RPM Elements) provided by @Fritz Aquatics

2 – 20lbs Bags of Arag-alive Sand (users choice of type) provided by CaribSea @Jud McCracken

1 – 20lb Box of LifeRock Shapes provided by CaribSea

SPONSORED BY THE AQUARIUM CARE CENTER JR. REEF KEEPING NETWORK
1 - Innovative Marine 10 gallon fusion with light
1 - 100 watt heater
1 - $25 Gift Card to @Aquarium Care Center llc
1 - Coral Candy Food

SPONSORED BY MARINEDEPOT.COM

1 - Lifegard Aquatics Full View 7-Gallon Aquarium Kit which includes a bunch of accessories to get you going such as:
  • Light
  • Pump
  • Built-in Filtration
  • Heater
  • Algae Magnet Cleaner
  • Glass Lid
1 - Small set of Freshwater Rocks or Stones in the style of your choice (8 to choose from) on @MarineDepot

SPONSORED BY REEFWEEDS
Winner received 1 24”x30” Reef Koi Series #1 limited edition print on canvas, value $200

https://reefweeds.com/available-for-purchase/reef-koi-series-1-limited-edition-print

Please note: Contestants are posted in alphabetical order based on their Reef2Reef screen names with the exception of @JP Wagner as I realized after I posted them all, I left JP out! Since I cannot delete or reorder the posts, his description is the last one below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adele

Adele’s Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build

I cannot even believe that its been almost 4 months since we began this journey. I was all in, when the contest was announced. However, with the summer college courses I was taking and a new semester starting in the middle of the build, AND a freshwater planted in the works, I wondered if I would have time to really create something that was fun and unique and of course, provide a happy home for my shrimpy inhabitants.

Glad I stuck it out. This has been a fun and very rewarding experience. Assembling the Betta cube I bought was more fun than I expected. Although I did have some scape setbacks during the journey. The blue “water” décor I found at Petco, ended up being extremely buoyant and would float around with the slightest movement of the water. I had to switch this out with some blue glass which worked great. Then I found the Cholla wood “Tree” was taking up way too much space, so I trimmed it down to just one of the branches and added a rock that I hope looks like its growing out of.

Overall this has been a rewarding experience and I now have a “almost” maintenance free tank in our breakfast nook which really adds an interesting and entertaining measure to another area of the house. Without this contest, I would have never considered taking on a shrimp tank having never conceived the idea that it would be nearly as fascinating as it is. I have you all to thank for that.
Shrimp bowl Day 1.jpg
Shrimp bowl 2 The Cycle.jpg
Shrimp bowl 3 making some changes.jpg
Shrimp bowl 4 plan coming together.jpg
Sunset Shrimp Final Pic.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CollinSlice

This contest came at just the right time for me. I didn't have any tank set up and I was essentially out of the hobby. Then the RNN crew posed the perfect challenge. I immediately got my equipment in and started coming up with ideas. My first decision was the tank was going to be inside my toolbox. What better way to decorate the tank than to reflect what I do everyday. So a boat repair shop was setup and the shrimp went to work.

Everyone in the company is now invested in these little guys. Office employees will come and stand and just watch the tank on their breaks and are always asking how they're doing. (and when can we eat them?). I really thank all the people that put this contest together. It jumpstarted me back into the hobby and I can't wait to start my next build thread.

Good luck to everybody. I'm jealous of almost every other tank that's in this contest. I'm sad to see it end but my shrimp tank will definitely live on. Hopefully for years to come

21e6ffb2b122fc71f4eb35682e37ec0b.jpg
667a586641fe478d6694f55ce0314203.jpg
b7e0c31c690c837f5f4013006947d5e7.jpg
ddbb8c4b4341fa318642d1370005fd85.jpg
e8d209229b60e15deabaad004530cc52.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am a nature boy at heart! Fish have been my passion for many years. I have always been a freshwater enthusiast. My brother, JP Wagner is a SaltWater enthusiast and knowing that I have had an interest in saltwater tanks, he told me about the SUPER SHRIMP CONTEST.

I read up on the contest rules and was eager to join it because it would give me a start on saltwater tanks. As I was brainstorming on how to set up the tank, I started researching these “SUPER SHRIMPS” to get a better idea of where they come from and their ecosystems and that’s how I came upon the idea of doing a underwater lava flow scene. Trying to mimic the image of how hot volcanic lava flow changes from liquid rock to solid rock and how the gases rise to the surface.

The artistic side of me came out and decided that I was going to do all the background from scratch by using spray foam to mimic lava rocks and gas explosions, I then used acrylic paint to paint all the foam formations to give it the look.

I have enjoyed this experience, regardless of how hectic my schedule is because I looked forward to my weekly postings. This contest has consumed my evenings as my fiancé and I came up with themes for the weekly postings. My brother and I have always been close but this contest has also brought us closer because now we speak multiple times a day, every day regarding our shrimps, the tanks and getting me into a bigger saltwater tank. We have laughed, giggled, gone to frag expos, driven our ladies crazy but - hey WE LOVE IT, WE ARE FISH NERDS!

I think the contest rules were simple, to the point and fair. It was very difficult for me to just choose 4-5 pictures for this as I have posted many pictures and videos throughout the weeks. The pictures I have attached are a snapshot of my creative tank from beginning to end!

IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_3519.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3524.jpg
IMG_3525.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s been an interesting shrimp journey. We had no idea what to expect when we began and honestly I wish I had done more research before we began. About halfway through I honestly thought we had lost pretty much all our shrimp but I think they were all just hiding in the rocks. I really wish we had used sand or at least smaller rocks. (hence more research)

In the end it has been a blast watching them all grow. We endured a horrible algae break out on our tree, got an extra batch of shrimp to help and now I can’t even count how many we have, but Dave says he has named them all.... Tonight we had a great time watching and trying to catch good pics. They went crazy when we put a few flakes of food in. Great experience all around! Thanks for hosting such a fun contest!

Heather and Dave

4e400ce72e59ad76ab79afd014eebeb7.jpg
3d80766e97c6b71d86c1cb86ea6c98c3.jpg
8d8a4c053df3cb516ed41c5494d030b4.jpg
d3cadb63f32f2f1589d2cbc40ad4ade0.jpg
d90fbdd92d8a1f0c205ca4931d05f6d0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kali

A long long time ago I had heard about Opae Ula shrimp but there wasn't a good or easy way to aquire them. I knew I wanted to do a small build for shrimp and opted for cherry shrimp instead of a complicated brackish water setup. Fast forward to this past July/August and I tripped over the RNN Shrimp Contest and learned how easy and low maintenance a small shrimp tank could be. I knew exactly what I wanted to build....an Octo-Kraken to guard over a small sphere of shrimp!

My first picture is all my gathered equipment for the tank, and octopus build. Missing are the shrimp, the Youtube video that helped me build the octopus and and the Ikea light that ultimatly illuminates their little world. A couple extra PVC parts and some gravel weren't used.

Picture #2 is one of the first pictures. Originally my plan was to go without the lid, like every other aquarium in the house. For some reason, this small tank attracted dog hair like velcro, so a closed bowl became a necessity. For a while I used the Octo-Kraken tentacles to hold the top open, and while that worked, there was no benefit to keeping it slightly ajar or closed.

Picture #3 is a few weeks into the contest. The tentacles are easily manipulated and no two pictures ended up looking the same for this reason. They were just plain fun to move around!

Picture #4- Depending on the angle and lighting sometimes Mr. Octo just looks mad.

Picture #5- A shot from today, showing off his tentacles hugging the bowl and a few shrimp, if you squint just right.

I really enjoyed the round shape of the shrimp bowl I chose because it magnified the tiny little shrimp. This shape was also a con because I really disliked the distortion of the glass. If I had it to do all over again, I would either go with a flat sided container or a better quality bowl with less ripples. You can't tell by the pictures but its really apparent close up and made trying to track or count shrimp difficult. I started with 15 shrimp, over the weeks I've counted any where from 8-12 at a time. I have no idea how many are in there, and haven't seen any babies. I do have an interesting array of colors from bright red, to a stripe and a couple pale yellow or white ones.

My favorite part of this contest was seeing everyones creations and progress. So many creative and fun tanks!

RNNSC_1.jpg
RNNSC_2.jpg
RNNSC_3.jpg
RNNSC_4.jpg
RNNSC_5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The wife and I really enjoyed this contest. It was something different that was easy to do and I thought it was a great idea. We enjoyed the thrill of finding something to use that was 2 gallons or less. We enjoyed the fact that we could set up another tank in our house that was very small yet had basically no maintenance. We would have never known about super shrimp so we want to personally thank you for introducing us to them and this amazing part of the hobby we all love so much.

We are super excited that we got to win one of Rachel’s prints! (It’s going to look great over the 120 we will be building) We did not like the mangroves in our system as they did not seem to do well even though the tank was close to the back door where it gets plenty of sun. Now the part we don’t like is that the contest is coming to an end. We do plan to make changes to our system now that the contest is over so we are looking forward to trying a different container and maybe adding some more shrimp as we never did see any babies. Last picture next to the Betta is current tank and they are still going strong. We will continue to post our progress and hope to be a part of another fun contest with you all in the future.

Todd & Stacey

d3beb5cab294e1ec5a9126a0fb3d512d.jpg
IMG_4351.jpg
IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4608.HEIC.jpg
IMG_4612.HEIC.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanie Fish

The Shrimp bowl contest has truly been an unexpected but memorable experience. My fiancé, our 17 month old, and myself started our first salt water tank about a year ago and now we can’t picture not having one. Our new love of salt water aquariums introduced us to the reef news podcast which is where we found out about the contest. The contest has been the best family project. From the very beginning finding the right tank to use, to picking out the rock scape, setting up the shrimps future galaxy (as a family of Star Wars nerds we knew at this point this was the design we would incorporate), to anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new family additions, to watching the shrimp thrive and enjoy the habitat we created for them. Our son, Everett loves to watch and point out all the shrimp. These shrimp will continue to be a part of our family and we can’t thank reef news network enough for starting this contest as it’s created a lot of memorable moments that will continue long after the contest is over.

134B179B-2BEF-403A-B596-AC6F1D461A17.jpeg
959CABE3-66F5-4856-B74C-97A5E4FBDD77.jpeg
B3D59674-BF72-4466-80E7-CFAA427E7558.jpeg
DB264F67-AC70-49AF-B33D-8A7C3485D689.jpeg
F3C440BC-968A-4F18-845C-42BA6F11714D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TessGlo

I decided to participate after I learned more about Super Shrimp and came up with the idea to make Moai. Knowing how adaptable and hardy Super Shrimp are it made me think about how they will probably still be living if humans use up the planet's resources, just like the Moai were left when humans used up Easter Island's resources. I sculpted the Moai with clay, sealed them when dry, made latex molds, and then cast the Moai with Aquaforest stone fix and black sand. I made some changes to my tank along the way to achieve the look I wanted and I'm now very happy to have this little tank sitting on my desk next to my monitor. It's great fun to watch them throughout the day as I work.

Thank you for an inspiring contest and taking a look at my tank.

DSC00966.jpg
DSC00985.jpg
DSC00989.jpg
P_20180830_152722.jpg
P_20181102_112352 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TheFishLady

For my shrimp bowl entry, I wanted to make something that was functional, attractive, and most importantly, a happy home for the Opae Ula. I tossed around a few ideas, but ultimately settled on the idea of building a Shrimpy Lamp.

I began my search at Target, and found the perfect lamp for only $34.99! I used a hole saw to add some openings in the lid for gas exchange and easier feeding. My aquascaping materials came from my yard and leftover gravel and plastic plants from my days of doing freshwater aquariums. After that was finished, I made brackish water by mixing RODI and water from my reef tank, added a bit of pellet food and a swish of Rod's Food to get my cycle going.

After almost a month of waiting and testing, my cycle was complete and I placed my order for 10 Opae Ula shrimp and one ball of chaeto. They arrived and did really well for the first couple days, but woke up to all of them dead one morning. I was super bummed. I think the death may have been caused by a temperature drop at night when we opened a nearby window.

I tested, tested, and tested some more, as my Shrimpy Lamp went through a mini cycle following what I call, the "shrimpocalypse". After a couple weeks, the tank was again ready for shrimp, so I ordered another batch of 10, and these ones have been doing great! They are really entertaining to watch while I'm laying in bed - I call them my "Little dudes". I haven't seen any baby shrimp yet, but my chaeto has been growing quickly.

I'm really happy with how this turned out, and it was just the inspiration I needed to get a tank in the bedroom . I love my low-maintenance little shrimp dudes in their Shrimpy Lamp!
IMG_20180826_131131.jpg
IMG_20180822_090922_879.jpg

IMG_20180826_160143_543.jpg
IMG_20181028_132256_769.jpg

IMG_20180826_160143_534.jpg

IMG_20180826_160143_539.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VKP01

I didn’t have an idea for a scape going into the contest, but I decided fairly quickly that I wanted to try something with floating rocks. They’ve always caught my eye, and trying to make an aquascape with them looked fun and added another dimension to work with.

I ran into a problem pretty quickly: none of the pre-made floating rocks fit in a bowl. That left me to either shape, paint, and seal my own from styrofoam, or suspend real rocks. After some trial and error, I chose the latter.

After arranging the rocks that rest on the bottom, I fixed an “A” shaped network of metal poles across the top of the bowl. Once the height and depth for each rock was determined, they were suspended from the metal frame using fishing line.

I like how it turned out, and the shrimp seem to like sitting on their floating rocks. I had a good time working on this!

9A6070B5-3374-411C-8B34-DD69889D0F03.jpg
434ECDF7-BE44-49FE-809A-9315F4304D35.jpg
98290186-4E5C-49F2-978A-64CF44C5F8D3.jpg
A5E5A078-647C-4A83-8F08-9E9CFAB680DE.jpg
DC16B66B-72FC-4864-8165-11B311DDF9F2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JP Wagner

I had a great time participating in the contest. Want to thank all the sponsors of the prizes. Also Peter, Rachel and Jeremy for taking the time and energy to put this contest on. When I made my tank I wanted a mosaic look to it. I picked out the right amount of rocks at a local fish store and made sure it would cover my back wall. I literally had measurements and built the wall on the floor of the store.

I then went to my local art store and bought Florescent paint to make a lava look that would come through the rocks. Wanted to try to make a mosaic look that would represent Hawaii. Once the tank was finished something was missing. I bought a mangrove pod and this made the tank. When I bought the pod it had no roots. The roots are now about 3 inches long. The tank now is shown in the last photo with a growth lamp on the pod to help it grow in the winter months. It’s was great talking with my brother Dave every week and laughing about his themes.

Thanks for putting the contest together and it was super fun. Also it was neat seeing all the other tanks that were created. To all the other participants thank you for joining the contest. Without them the contest wouldn’t of worked. Can’t wait for the next one lol.

5f476e3f406a32130fe301751747293d.jpg
4956f32fa58c2725b7ae5e33722c8bb3.jpg
adc0bb6c83b0aea564bd050bef991650.jpg
c4440db57270319e800958f3fe0b73a3.jpg
eba4a3ffaae7c51f94519d77b35a4ef3.jpg

Last edited:

I MARRERO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!!MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL CONTESTANT ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING!!!

Ok guys, here it is! The final voting for the Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build contest!!!

Here are the rules! You can vote once for one contestant! Polls will close on November 28th (two weeks) so get your vote in! There are 11 final contestants as follows, listed in alphabetical order:

Please take a moment and glance over the 11 write-ups and photos each contestant has provided outlining their journey. This will help you make a decision!

The contestant with the most votes will win their pick of the three main prizes listed below. The contestant with the second highest vote count will be able to pick out of the remaining two prizes and the third highest will receive the final prize. There will be NO recounts (just kidding - maybe).

!!!PRIZES!!!

SPONSORED BY OSACORALS.COM, REEF BREEDERS, REEF NEWS NETWORK, FRITZ AQUATICS AND CARIBSEA

1 – Waterbox Cube 20 AIO provided by @OSA

1 – ReefBreeders LED Controllable light provided by @Reef Breeders

1 – ReefBreeders Reef Power RP-26 Power Head provided by ReefBreeders

1 – Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater provided by @ReefNewsNetwork

1 – Fritz Aquatic Start Kit (1 box of Salt, 1 Bottle of Turbo Start, 1 set of RPM Elements) provided by @Fritz Aquatics

2 – 20lbs Bags of Arag-alive Sand (users choice of type) provided by CaribSea @Jud McCracken

1 – 20lb Box of LifeRock Shapes provided by CaribSea

SPONSORED BY THE AQUARIUM CARE CENTER JR. REEF KEEPING NETWORK
1 - Innovative Marine 10 gallon fusion with light
1 - 100 watt heater
1 - $25 Gift Card to @Aquarium Care Center llc
1 - Coral Candy Food

SPONSORED BY MARINEDEPOT.COM

1 - Lifegard Aquatics Full View 7-Gallon Aquarium Kit which includes a bunch of accessories to get you going such as:
  • Light
  • Pump
  • Built-in Filtration
  • Heater
  • Algae Magnet Cleaner
  • Glass Lid
1 - Small set of Freshwater Rocks or Stones in the style of your choice (8 to choose from) on @MarineDepot

Please note: Contestants are posted in alphabetical order based on their Reef2Reef screen names with the exception of @JP Wagner as I realized after I posted them all, I left JP out! So he then became contestant 11 since I can't delete posts.

ReefWeeds and by voting you mean clicking on LIKE on the contestant you which to vote for?

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for 8 but number 5 and 9 were very close - all of the tanks are amazing. Great to see people painting and all that but the Octopus - wow.
It's also great to see the lava as a theme in so many (given where the shrimp live).

Also if you have a tank you absolutely should vote for yourself - there are some of you with no votes so go vote for yourself ;)

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there may have been some confusion with the voting! Please note that the contestants in the poll at the top are listed in alphabetical order. Their contest write-ups and photos are posted below and are in alphabetical order WITH THE EXCEPTION of @JP Wagner. I messed up the order! His description is last. Sorry all!

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for 8 but number 5 and 9 were very close - all of the tanks are amazing. Great to see people painting and all that but the Octopus - wow.
It's also great to see the lava as a theme in so many (given where the shrimp live).

Also if you have a tank you absolutely should vote for yourself - there are some of you with no votes so go vote for yourself ;)
agree agree agree!!! to all of it!

Erica barry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanie Fish

The Shrimp bowl contest has truly been an unexpected but memorable experience. My fiancé, our 17 month old, and myself started our first salt water tank about a year ago and now we can’t picture not having one. Our new love of salt water aquariums introduced us to the reef news podcast which is where we found out about the contest. The contest has been the best family project. From the very beginning finding the right tank to use, to picking out the rock scape, setting up the shrimps future galaxy (as a family of Star Wars nerds we knew at this point this was the design we would incorporate), to anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new family additions, to watching the shrimp thrive and enjoy the habitat we created for them. Our son, Everett loves to watch and point out all the shrimp. These shrimp will continue to be a part of our family and we can’t thank reef news network enough for starting this contest as it’s created a lot of memorable moments that will continue long after the contest is over.

134B179B-2BEF-403A-B596-AC6F1D461A17.jpeg
959CABE3-66F5-4856-B74C-97A5E4FBDD77.jpeg
B3D59674-BF72-4466-80E7-CFAA427E7558.jpeg
DB264F67-AC70-49AF-B33D-8A7C3485D689.jpeg
F3C440BC-968A-4F18-845C-42BA6F11714D.jpeg
Awesome shrimp galaxy!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back