Waaaay too much waste water -- new Spectrapure CSPDI 90 unit

flowerreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Would appreciate any advice. I purchased a new CSPDI 90 Spectrapure RODI unit. Right now, I'm generating about 30 gallons of waste water (!!!!!!) to about 3 gallons of product water. Even though I'm using it for plants, it's a terrible waste. I understand the ratio is supposed to be 4:1. Any ideas for me? How do you work with the flow restrictor? Not sure how it all works.... Thanks in advance!

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on what's your input pressure? Restrictor limits the flow of the waste water to force more water into the membrane. If your input pressure is low you can use a booster pump, membranes are more efficient above 55 PSI. How fast can you unit produce the 3 gallons of filtered water?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flowerreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 35, and yes, def need a booster, right? And thanks for replying. I'm in conversation with their support team right now, too (very responsive!) They want me to run a test and measure output for 1 min. Going to go do that now...

OP
OP
F

flowerreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it was about 2 hours to get to the 3 gallons...stopped because I couldn't stand all the waste I was generating.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 35, and yes, def need a booster, right? And thanks for replying. I'm in conversation with their support team right now, too (very responsive!) They want me to run a test and measure output for 1 min. Going to go do that now...

Get the booster. I have very low water pressure at my house, went from 25 to over 80. I make a 40 gallon bucket in like 5 hours.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it was about 2 hours to get to the 3 gallons...stopped because I couldn't stand all the waste I was generating.
Yup, definitely going to benefit with a booster pump, you're only getting close to 1/3 the rated production rate of the membrane. You can also try using a 400ml flow restrictor, not the same a having a good pressure but it will limit the waste, your unit is probably using 700-800ml flow restrictor.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's any consolation, a 12 minute shower wastes exactly as much water. We use a ton of water. I'm not saying you shouldn't explore ways to improve efficiency, but 30 gallons one time isn't as bad as it could be.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold water also affects the way the RO works. You get less when the water is cold.
A booster pump helps all around.

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the booster pump.
I got one a about a month ago and it saves a lot of water and doesn’t take anywhere near the time it did before to make water. Went from 40 psi to 85 And you can adjust the pump.

If you are able to boost the whole house it’s tough on the plumbing fixtures.
I live across the st from the town well and I have a whole house reducer because of the high line pressure.
good luck
John

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back