Wait Time- New Setup

340coast2coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what kind of waiting I might need or not need before I go out and get more stock. Will be a 330g with a 180 sump.

Currently I have 300lbs of dry rock curing /seeding/cycling with 50lbs of liverock for last 8 weeks in the 180gal.

Also Have 75gallon pond with 40lbs liverock, corals, anemones, inverts ,some tangs, clowns, mandarins and filefish from the cross country move.

If I was to setup the 330 with the cured and liverock. 60lbs of new live sand cleaned and cycled waters; would I need to run another break in cycle or could I add my stock pretty much immediately?

I would think I could.

I mean I tore down the tank, put all my stock, rock and old sand in a deep freeze with a heater and powerhead. Ran it on the truck inverter over a week and 4200km. Set up everything in the 75gallon pond and everything was fine. So I’d think this would be even less stress or old sand influence.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you'd be fine as long as you did not go crazy stocking initially. Test, have some prime and some make up water made up just in case. If you're not worried about cross contamination between tanks use some of the mechanical filtration from one of your running systems. :)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow how did the move go? When I moved 700km I lost a lot, not so much from the move but because I didn't move directly into my house I had everything in holding tanks in my parents bathroom for 6 weeks prior to moving in.

If I were you I'd pick up some 10-20g or whatever you want and setup a good sized QT system since you have a big display. You could start getting fish / coral right away if that's what you're after without risking the current livestock you have and at the same time allow everything to settle in a little longer.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely safe you can try adding a source of ammonia and testing over a day or two to confirm your tank is fully cycled.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back