Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These walls...whew. Done.

Here’s the middle panel and one side panel. The bigger shelves are not cemented on...too heavy. I’ll have to do that after they’re mounted in the tank. The mortar isn’t totally cured, which is why it’s still dark:

4hCa4gM.jpg

Here’s the other side panel:

kHeZZZi.jpg

uLf6FD9.jpg

Not terrible for the first time doing it. I definitely learned some things. I found out (too late, of course) that prep is key when working with Quikrete. You have almost no time at all to lay the mortar and then get rocks into it. I had this notion that I would be able to put some mortar on and then pick and chose which rocks and then then take my time pushing them on.

Nope. Doesn’t work that way.

Anyway, I’m going to use epoxy to cement the panels onto the overflow, and once they’re in place, I’m going to mortar them together and assume they’ll never move again.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These walls...whew. Done.

Here’s the middle panel and one side panel. The bigger shelves are not cemented on...too heavy. I’ll have to do that after they’re mounted in the tank. The mortar isn’t totally cured, which is why it’s still dark:

4hCa4gM.jpg

Here’s the other side panel:

kHeZZZi.jpg

uLf6FD9.jpg

Not terrible for the first time doing it. I definitely learned some things. I found out (too late, of course) that prep is key when working with Quikrete. You have almost no time at all to lay the mortar and then get rocks into it. I had this notion that I would be able to put some mortar on and then pick and chose which rocks and then then take my time pushing them on.

Nope. Doesn’t work that way.

Anyway, I’m going to use epoxy to cement the panels onto the overflow, and once they’re in place, I’m going to mortar them together and assume they’ll never move again.
Really creative! Ive been following this project since you started!

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks terrific!
Thanks! The pics don’t do it justice, though.

The last step on this side is to make a couple of features that come up to about 10” up from the bottom...hard to describe, but you’ll see.

I’ll tell you...I had major concerns about pulling this wall off. My main concern was it falling/falling apart. But now that everything is cemented in, I feel pretty certain in saying the house will collapse before this wall does. It is, well...rock solid.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way this is turning out! Now if you can fix the dry wall problem. Have you considered green board and then FRP wall cladding for the canopy area? Or just replacing the wall board with PVC or HDPE panels?

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way this is turning out! Now if you can fix the dry wall problem. Have you considered green board and then FRP wall cladding for the canopy area? Or just replacing the wall board with PVC or HDPE panels?
At this point, I don’t know if I’m going to to much about what’s left. I got all the rotted dry wall and metal framing out, and ripped the dry wall ceiling out, which was my main goal.

It’s such a weird space up there, and it’s not all that functional. I was able to open up a little more room, but as far as the cosmetics...TBD. The existing drywall that’s left isn’t a problem. If it becomes one, then I can always put a sheet of plywood over the aquarium and rip the remaining drywall out and put in new panels. But...it’s low on the priority list.

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Awesome work.
Man, that looks so much better than it did before!
great way to hide the column
Great way to cover that up.
Great progress so far!

Corey
Looks great!
That looks fantastic!
Well, I've seen enough. Following :D;Wideyed;Woot
Your rock structure turned out great!
Thanks, everybody, for the compliments on this particular shot in the dark, and thanks for following along!

I’m finishing the rest of the rock structure today, and then get it back up and running. I hope that once the corals get going, it ends up looking like it does in my head.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back