Wall hammer half dead toss or frag small living part?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for other opinions thinking I should toss this guy rest of my tank is doing amazing but this hammer struggled since I bought it. (2 weeks ago) and it looks like it bit the dust.
Alk 10
cal 460
mag 1660
nitrate 2
phosphate .02
salinity 1.026
ph 8 (stable doesn't drop at night).
Hammer was in low flow and (approx) 150 par

Should I frag the small living part or toss the whole thing? Any input is appreciated thanks.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad pic but shows how far gone the poor thing is

Attachments

• 20220118_094300.jpg
    20220118_094300.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't hurt to cut away the dead part and place in low light 50-100 par.
Thanks I'll give er a go. I was kind of hesitant because I'm afraid even with the infected tissue cut away that it may cause bacterial infection in other LPS. I have h202 and could dip it before putting it back but I imagine that will stress out whats left of the hammer. Thought I'd ask the community because I feel like I'm gambling my other LPS trying this. Think I'm just being paranoid?

richscorze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really think it is infected with bacteria, I would isolate frag in a 5-10 g tank and possibly put through antibiotic treatment cycle.... something similar to what is recommended for anemones... Also standard therapeutic dip in case of other issues and a quick dip in flatworm exit. Something is clearly wrong as you said. I would keep trying but isolate in a qt.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed I fragged off the living part and dipped in iodine and flatworm exit after the iodine put it in 50 par in the very lowest flow in my tank. I don't get how branching hammers are so forgiving but this wall hammer gave me nothing but trouble from day one. Last one I ever try. The skeleton that I removed was covered in brown slime so I'm assuming bjd.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be able to section that off into 3 viable frags. Better chance of success that way. I see no reason not to try at this point as either it all dies or some of it does.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I got 2 frags off it that were doing well but are starting to look bad my hogfish decided he likes to flip them upside down. So I'll flip them over then watch him flip them upside down again. I may be eating fish and chips tonight...
the freshest sushi one can ever have

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back